• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

String of resignations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: String of resignations

A bad reference is not in itself illegal but it has to be 100% accurate or the referee risks being sued if your former (or current) employer says untruthful things about you to a company where you have applied to work, the company where you applied would have hired you had your ex-employer not said untruthful things about you, and you lose out on income as a result.

Looking at the scenario of this and the limitation of rights under the 12 month period, I feel collective discussion between you as a group would be wise. Even if the above does not apply in this instance, has she given other bad references? If so, she is treading on dangerous ground, that's why although not illegal to issue a bad reference, many employers will steer clear of doing it because of the implications.

Your colleague can apply to the company for paperwork pertaining to his application if he still has any doubts about the signifigance of the reference within his application, this may not be forthcoming as the company may be scared into thinking that it is them your friend has a complaint against. He can either state in the request that it is for personal development and feedback reasons or, if you're all in a sneaky mood, is there anyone you know who has a business where he could apply for a job and subsequently a reference which he could pass straight to your colleague? I'm not suggesting for one minute being sneaky but sometimes.....

Lastly, in contradiction of any alleged defamation contained in a reference, testimonies by former colleagues can be collected as well as finding a number of people who will testify in person in court that such reference is inaccurate.

As Bluebottle says, if such a reference came to light the person it was referring to would be in an excellent position to fire off a warning letter to the CEO making him aware of this woman's inept handling of situations. And if the company brought her in to do a hatchet job on the staff it'll also fire a warning shot at them that they need to behave themselves.
    Incidentally, is this company subject to any licences at all? If so, a defamation case could also cost them dearly and they would take any implications of her behaviour very seriously.

By the way, government is looking at extending employment rights period to 24 months - a retrograde step if ever there was one. People will have to go down the H&S route if this happens because employers will abuse this situation. I don't exactly know why they feel the need to do this, Mr Shads has a business and wouldn't dream of being unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowcat View Post
      A bad reference is not in itself illegal but it has to be 100% accurate or the referee risks being sued if your former (or current) employer says untruthful things about you to a company where you have applied to work, the company where you applied would have hired you had your ex-employer not said untruthful things about you, and you lose out on income as a result.

Looking at the scenario of this and the limitation of rights under the 12 month period, I feel collective discussion between you as a group would be wise. Even if the above does not apply in this instance, has she given other bad references? If so, she is treading on dangerous ground, that's why although not illegal to issue a bad reference, many employers will steer clear of doing it because of the implications.

Your colleague can apply to the company for paperwork pertaining to his application if he still has any doubts about the signifigance of the reference within his application, this may not be forthcoming as the company may be scared into thinking that it is them your friend has a complaint against. He can either state in the request that it is for personal development and feedback reasons or, if you're all in a sneaky mood, is there anyone you know who has a business where he could apply for a job and subsequently a reference which he could pass straight to your colleague? I'm not suggesting for one minute being sneaky but sometimes.....

Lastly, in contradiction of any alleged defamation contained in a reference, testimonies by former colleagues can be collected as well as finding a number of people who will testify in person in court that such reference is inaccurate.

As Bluebottle says, if such a reference came to light the person it was referring to would be in an excellent position to fire off a warning letter to the CEO making him aware of this woman's inept handling of situations. And if the company brought her in to do a hatchet job on the staff it'll also fire a warning shot at them that they need to behave themselves.
      Incidentally, is this company subject to any licences at all? If so, a defamation case could also cost them dearly and they would take any implications of her behaviour very seriously.

By the way, government is looking at extending employment rig.hts period to 24 months - a retrograde step if ever there was one. People will have to go down the H&S route if this happens because employers will abuse this situation. I don't exactly know why they feel the need to do this, Mr Shads has a business and wouldn't dream of being unfair.
      The majority of legal professionals I know advise using the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 to deal with job references that are not 100% accurate due to the fact that it places the onus of proof entirely on the defendant and also that such instances tend to be part of a course of conduct amounting to harassment. With defamation, it has to be proved that the plaintiff has suffered actual loss as a result of the defamation. The maximum anyone could expect, realistically, for defamation is £30K + costs. It really is much easier to prove harassment and civil liability under the Act is unlimited. Mjrowski -v- Guys and St Thomas's NHS Trust 2005 (Court of Appeal ruling) means that employers are vicariously liable for any course of conduct amounting to harassment by an employee against other employees. In practice, both employee and employer get hammered. The Michalak case is a prime example, albeit that the Equality Act 2010 was used in that case. Courts and tribunals are taking a much tougher line with bullying and harassment and in the case this thread deals with, Cruella's behaviour is a classic case for being dealt with under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

I totally agree with you about the government trying to reverse employment protection legislation. It's strange, when it comes to making it easier for firms to get rid of employees, the Conservatives shout from the rooftops, but any mention of changing the law to make it easier to remove bent and/or incompetent company directors and they suddenly fall very quiet. I wonder why?
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I just love you Bluebottle, 'they fall very quiet' hahaha. Yes, you can almost hear the pin drop can't you?

Go with Bluebottle's suggestion Souza, much easier than defamation but however you dress it up if your colleague could get hold of a copy or get another reference that he could get hold of then you have prety damning stuff.

Get tough when you write to the company. Cool, calm, collected but assertive and cold. Make their heat rate increase a little about this awful creature - as Loreal says, she's worth it.

Comment

Just had a thought. Has he thought of SARing the prospective employer for the reference Cruella provided? It refers to him, so why not use Section 7, Data Protection Act 1998.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

He does indeed have a right to ask for that info even without the formality of an SDAR. If it were me I'd firstly ask for the reasons of personal development and request all paperwork pertaining to me, give them 7 days to reply and if nothing I'd then SDAR. Shadowcat's all about saving the odd £10 when she can
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
            Actually no...rewind that. It's only a job interview with minimal paperwork for Heaven's sake, I'd send a £1 fee with my SDAR request so yes, change of plan, I'd do it formerly straight away.
            Last edited by Shadowcat; 17th February 2012, 23:22:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X