• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer using previous terms against me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer using previous terms against me

Hello, I work for the NHS as a fulltime permanent employee since March '23.

Prior to this I worked on the NHS Bank service (A flexible zero-hours style register) in the same position for 2 years at fulltime hours.

In June this year I had to take extended sick leave. My employer is saying I am not entitled to the full 3 years’ service length benefits due to my Bank service contract stating:
    The fact that FSB offers you work, or offers you work more than once, shall not confer any legal rights on you and, in particular, should not be regarded as establishing an entitlement to regular work or conferring continuity of employment. Accordingly, your work for FSB does not constitute continuous employment for statutory purposes or for any other purpose. Therefore, you will not accrue any service-based statutory or contractual rights by virtue of being registered on the FSB Register.

This employment term ended in March '23 due to being made a permanent employee in the same post. The terms were replaced with standard NHS terms of employment which states:
    12.1 An employee’s continuous previous service with any NHS employer counts as reckonable service in respect of NHS agreements on redundancy, maternity, sick pay and annual leave.

The FSB is a department of the hospital and therefore and NHS employer.

I feel like 2 years of service meant nothing, are they legally correct to do this? I read it as the current terms should supersede any previous terms?

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Tags: None

When did you zero hours contract end in March and on what date did your new permanent contract start?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
      When did you zero hours contract end in March and on what date did your new permanent contract start?
      1th March. Permanent position started the next working day

Comment

Should have been the 10th March

Comment

Who was your stated employer under your FSB zero hours contract?
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Both positions employed by the same NHS Trust, same role, same salary.

Comment

The issue is that your initial contract clearly states that any service will not be considered for continuous employment but I guess that is on the basis as a bank staff person, on a zero hours contract, there are likely to be period where there is a break in service. The very nature of a zero hours contract.

As a starting point to try and assist, you will need to prove that you worked continuously as a bank staff member in that position with no break in service. If you can prove this, then you may have some push back to claim you are in fact covered under 12.1 of your new contract.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X