• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment start date / Breach of Contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment start date / Breach of Contract

Hi there,

I'm looking for some help. I have received and signed a contract of employment by my new company. Both sides signed the contract. Unfortunately - or more fortunately - I'll get married in September and therefore will have to take leave for 3 weeks. This was raised by me from the first interview I had with the talent recruiter and has been acknowledged verbally and in writing. We even agreed to a paid/unpaid leave scheme for September, before both parties signed the contract.

Yesterday, I received a phone call and was told that a decision had been made to push my start date back to October because my leave. I have already resigned from my current job and informed my employer.

Can anyone please get me some advice on this? I was not born in the UK, so this is a little bit intimidating and stressful to deal with.

Kind regards
    Tags: None

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

Did your contract of employment have a start date which was prior to the now pushed back date of start in Oct?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you very much, ULA.

Yes, my contract of employment has a clear start date which was one month before the now suggested new start date. We have an agreement via mail about my leave construction for the month of September, which I agreed to and then signed the contract with the original start date. So did the company shortly thereafter.

Things took a new turn today. After my phone call, in which I clearly stated that the company is in breach of the contract and can't push my start date back on any legal ground, the offer/contract was withdrawn today. Reason: it's simply not working for them that I'm not flexible enough to move my start date back by a month.

Comment

If they have now withdrawn the job offer, since a contract of employment has been signed then the company will need to pay you notice in accordance with the contractual notice period.

The employment contract may state that during and at the end of the probationary period either party can end the contract on a shorter notice period. However since you have not started the probationary period when the offer has been withdrawn i.e. now as you have not had your first day at work you could argue that the notice period that applies will be what the notice would be in the absence of a probationary period.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X