• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Provisional job offer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provisional job offer

Hi, excuse me if I'm in the wrong place but this my first post and I'm looking for some advice...

I recently applied online for a new position which had the advertised working pattern as 'Full-time, Part-time, Job share and Flexi hours'.

In my interview I mentioned that I would be interested in part-time hours as I have caring resposibilities, I was told this wouldn't be an issue.

When one of the women walked me out she told me to stand my ground when it comes to the part time hours, I asked what she meant and she just said it can be a bot difficult to get the hours you want sometimes.

I have since received a provisional offer of employment with I accepted and sent of my details ready for my reference and DBS checks etc.
    A lady called shortly afterwards to discuss things like dress code, what location I'd been given, annual leave etc and I asked when I would get confirmation of what hours I would get. She took a note of my ideal and said she would confirm with the office I'd be assigned to and would then come back to me.
    She called the following day and said they no longer had part-time hours available so I had 2 options - I could go onto a reserve list for 3 months in case another position comes up even though nothing would change in terms of the hours they needed or I could go online and withdraw my application.

I'm absolutely gutted, I've waited a long time for this particular position to come up and now it's been taken away from me.
    I've not withdrawn my application but I also don't want to put my current role at risk by having reference checks come through before I've had a chance to pre-warn my boss.

I have sent an email of complaint as if the job was advertised as full-time I wouldn't have applied in the first place, let alone spent hours writing up competencies, doing online tests and preparing for an interview!

Do I have a leg to stand on with regards to appealing the decision or are they within their rights to do this?

My provisional offer states that it is subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks, no mention of hours etc.

Thank you

Tags: None

What did the provisional job offer state, if it did not give the basic information on the job they were offering you such as hours, salary, holiday?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi Ula,

the wording on my email is as follows:
      'Congratulations, we are writing to offer you employment in the above position. This offer is provisional because it is subject to the satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. If the outcome of these checks is satisfactory, we will agree a start date with you. In the meantime, please do not hand in your notice until all pre-employment checks are completed satisfactorily. If the outcome of these checks is not satisfactory, your offer will be withdrawn.'

Thanks for your msg

Comment

So nothing detailing the broad details of the employment terms.

I presume that in your email you have made it clear that you responded to the advert based on the option of part-time hours and that you had also mentioned this at interview where it was not perceived to be a problem and with the lady who contacted you. It will be interesting to see what they respond with and whether such an email from you will prompt the option for part-time hours - maybe this is what was meant by "standing your ground."

Unfortunately if the complaint does not yield a positive response I do not think there is anything you can do unless possibly if you could prove you where discriminated against by not being offered a part-time position.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

No further details regarding the post itself, just instructions on providing reference info.
          When I spoke to the recruitment women who telephoned she was discussing dress code and location etc with me so I presume those details would have been provided in writing with a formal offer at a later stage.

Yes I did include that point in my email.
          The fact that they've told me that I would have to withdraw my application rather than actually withdrawing their offer, and the fact the lady had already forewarned me kind of pushed me to make the complaint rather than just taking it and giving up.

The autoreply to my email states it will be up to 7 working days for a response from the relevant team.
          Fingers crossed for something positive!

Comment

Do come back and let us know how it goes. Good luck

Comment

Will do. Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X