• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

WON!!!!! Northampton County Court Claim causing insomnia, please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northampton County Court Claim causing insomnia, please help with simple question

Hi nemesis,

I've taken a template and adapted it a little. I've made notes in
    RED along side various parts where I'm a little unsure/ requesting guidance.

Is there anywhere on the website I can look at the relevant sections of the Consumer Credit Act, so I can make sure I have the best understanding? At the moment I'm a bit unsure about the sections and paragraphs I'm quoting. Or if you could cast your eye over those?

Do I need to send in my master copies of the CPR & CCA postal requests (with proof of postage receipts) ?

(If so, I can make & keep copies for myself)

OK I'll post this, bound to be something wrong with it ( behold the optimism:biggrin1: )

thanks buddy
    bean:okay:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~
    In the matter of Cabot Financial (UK) Limited v me

Court Claim B########

My Defence

1. I received the Claim B####### (Dated 6th October) from the Northampton County Court through the post on 8th October 2015.

2. Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3. This claim appears to be for a Credit Card agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4. The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

5. The particulars of the claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.

6. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from SAV (Bank of Scotland (Aquacard)) to CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LIMITED on 18/03/2011. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

7. The Defendant does not recall (changed from 'it is denied') that SAV (Bank of Scotland (Aquacard)) served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to section 87 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

8: On the 16/10/2015 I sent a proof of postage Request (dated 13/10/2015) for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to SHOOSMITHS LLP. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Credit Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment . I followed this up with an email then two phone calls requesting the same. I summarized these communications in a further email to SHOOSMITHS LLP (which I include printed out with my defence).

9. SHOOSMITHS LLP has not sent any of these documents to me.

10. On the 16/10/2015 I sent a formal request (dated 13/10/2015) for a copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement to CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LIMITED pursuant to my entitlement under section 78 ( ? was a credit card) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

11. CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LIMITED has not sent a copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement to me. The Claimant has failed to comply with section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of section 78 (6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement. (are these two sentences linked like I think they are? I added the first sentence as it seemed to fit)

12. I have asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of my defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5). The Parties agreed to an extension to the time period allowed for filing of my defence under CPR 15.5 to allow the Claimants additional time to produce the relevant documentation to evidence their claim. They still have not been able to provide this proof of claim.

13. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

14. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

15. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

16. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all. (not sure what this means?)

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed .........Mr human bean….........

Dated .................................................. .....

Comment

• Re: Northampton County Court Claim causing insomnia, please help with simple question

Consumer Credit Act Part VI - ( with sections 77/78 etc) http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/part/VI

78 is for a running credit agreement - which is a credit card. Section 77 is a fixed sum agreement which is a loan.

7. The Defendant does not recall (changed from 'it is denied') that SAV (Bank of Scotland (Aquacard)) served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to section 87 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.
      That's fine

11. CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LIMITED has not sent a copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement to me. The Claimant has failed to comply with section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of section 78 (6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement. (are these two sentences linked like I think they are? I added the first sentence as it seemed to fit)
      Yes, perfect

16. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all. (not sure what this means?)

yes, this just means that you deny the claimant is owed the money they have claimed ( totally or partially )

Do I need to send in my master copies of the CPR & CCA postal requests (with proof of postage receipts) ?
      Not at this stage, that will come later when you do witness statements (IF you get that far) so keep them filed away safely

so take out red bit

8: On the 16/10/2015 I sent a proof of postage Request (dated 13/10/2015) for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to SHOOSMITHS LLP. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Credit Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment . I followed this up with an email then two phone calls requesting the same. I summarized these communications in a further email to SHOOSMITHS LLP (which I include printed out with my defence).

Good job
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi nemesis Amethyst (and all):yo:

ALSO.
        I have this friend who has a couple of County Court victories under his belt where he turned up on he day and pleaded his case, instead of making a plea in absentia. He swears bling it is the way to go. He says they like to see people turn up. He thinks I have a better chance of making this go away for good if I'm actually there on the day and they are not.
        Is he right?
        Should I go to the Court in person (he says he will come with me.)

If you think he is right and I should attend. Any tips?

I'm very grateful for every bodies help:thumb:

bean

Comment

Hi ALL,:hail::help: HELP NEEDED AGAIN (apologies)

Thank you very much Amethyst for giving that defence the once over:thumb:
          I said in the defence (part 8) that I would also send along with it the summarizing email showing my continued comms attempting to get CPR31.14 paperwork. That's ok isn't it?

So to summarize, I'll be sending them N9B form filled in (no counter claim - thanks nemesis:thumb: ), the above 'Defence' without the red bits, along with a copy of my summarizing email communication (mentioned above).
          Is there anything else I need to send them at this stage? ?

Lastly, I have been putting off a much needed lengthy visit to see family in the Med. Was definitely hoping to go for Christmas after I thought this was all going to be over on December 6th. This is my hearing date (after I have been granted my 28 day extension). However, when Amethyst mentioned
          Not at this stage, that will come later when you do witness statements (IF you get that far) so keep them filed away safely
          it left me feeling quite worried that perhaps I cant leave the Fort.

Please advise (yes, I know .. again !!
          :thumb:)
          Thanks you guys
          love you all

bean

Comment

Originally posted by humanbean View Post
            Hi ALL,:hail::help: HELP NEEDED AGAIN (apologies)

Thank you very much Amethyst for giving that defence the once over:thumb:
            I said in the defence (part 8) that I would also send along with it the summarizing email showing my continued comms attempting to get CPR31.14 paperwork. That's ok isn't it?

So to summarize, I'll be sending them N9B form filled in (no counter claim - thanks nemesis:thumb: ), the above 'Defence' without the red bits, along with a copy of my summarizing email communication (mentioned above).
            Is there anything else I need to send them at this stage? ?

Lastly, I have been putting off a much needed lengthy visit to see family in the Med. Was definitely hoping to go for Christmas after I thought this was all going to be over on December 6th. This is my hearing date (after I have been granted my 28 day extension). However, when Amethyst mentioned it left me feeling quite worried that perhaps I cant leave the Fort.

Please advise (yes, I know .. again !!
            :thumb:)
            Thanks you guys
            love you all

bean
            Once you send in your defence the defendant has 28 days to respond to tell the court if they wish to proceed. Then you will receive a directions questionnaire ( on which you can tell the court dates you will be away ) and the case will be transferred to your local court. Then you will receive a court hearing date - which is likely to be a couple of months later, and your witness statement will be due in 14 days before the hearing.

So really it depends how lengthy a time you are going away for and whether anyone can check in once a week on your mail - the Directions Q usually has 7 days to return it, and of course the claimant has to actually respond to the court - sometimes they just don't and the case gets put on hold for months on end, or the claimant discontinues. I wouldn't hang about waiting for the case to be over as it could be months.

And no just send the defence at this stage, no need to send back up docs.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by humanbean View Post
              Hi nemesis Amethyst (and all):yo:

ALSO.
              I have this friend who has a couple of County Court victories under his belt where he turned up on he day and pleaded his case, instead of making a plea in absentia. He swears bling it is the way to go. He says they like to see people turn up. He thinks I have a better chance of making this go away for good if I'm actually there on the day and they are not.
              Is he right?
              Should I go to the Court in person (he says he will come with me.)

If you think he is right and I should attend. Any tips?

I'm very grateful for every bodies help:thumb:

bean

Goodness yes, if you get to a court hearing date, then you must attend. If you don't you may as well have admitted and offered on the case in the first place.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

AMETHYST said [QUOTEOnce you send in your defence the defendant has 28 days to respond to tell the court if they wish to proceed][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Amethyst:thumb:. Do you mean the Claimant Amethyst? (I'm the Defendant aren't I?)

So I will get a questionnaire.

I'm wondering how I can get it to fill in personally and return it in 7 days if I'm out of the country? I can have my sister checking my mail, no problem but not sure how I could sort that problem of not being around to sign it. She could send it on to me, but we'd never manage a 7 day turnaround.. :flypig:

On the other hand It might be quite a long time to wait to receive the form .. I might be waiting over Christmas, which I'd obviously prefer not to do.

Any ideas re: going away and getting the questionnaire sorted?:noidea:

I'll get that defence sorted anyway
                (thanks guys):fish2:
                human bean

Comment

Sorry, yes I meant the Claimant, doh !

You could do the N180 digitally and email it ... or your sis could do it for you ( if she is aware of the situation ) (would have to sign digitally tho ) it isn't a tough form.... http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...l-Claims-Track - is a bit of guidance.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Sorry, yes I meant the Claimant, doh !

You could do the N180 digitally and email it ... or your sis could do it for you ( if she is aware of the situation ) (would have to sign digitally tho ) it isn't a tough form.... http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...l-Claims-Track - is a bit of guidance.
                    Hi Amethyst,:okay:Thanks again

Feel a bit guilty asking you all these questions , but better than giving up, and I'm guessing most of the paperwork is out of the way so one way or the other there is light at the end of the tunnel for both of us!

2 quick things:

1.) I will dive into the N180 and crack on with printing out my Defence. With that, should I keep the master copy and send a copy, or visa versa?

2.) I'm just wondering, am I classed as small claims or not?
                    I'm wondering is the N180 only for Small Claims? (£5000) Would it be suitable for my case? The amount owed in my case is £6200.

Thankyou in advance. You are all great:okay:
                    bean:fish2:

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                      No problem!! I see @Amethyst has answered.

You will surprised the number of times people send documents/letters to courts and elsewhere without keeping copies themselves.

nem
                      That's what "stress" does!

We are all subject to it, some seem to cope better.

Comment

Originally posted by spirit2534 View Post
                        That's what "stress" does!

We are all subject to it, some seem to cope better.
                        By heck Spirit,
                        you're not wrong there. I wasn't doing too well a few weeks back, but now, even though the pressures still on and things are exploding around me metaphorically (as I've got a few things on), I seem to be doing fine.
                        Just tired and prone to silly mistakes, is what I am. Once I get to the stage it feels like I cant think my way out of a paper bag I know its time I was off to bed !! :der:

which is about 10 minutes!
                        bean:biggrin1:

Comment

Small claims is £10k now

This is the N180 - if you wanted to fill it in and leave it for your sis to post at the relevant moment.

Copy of that goes to the claimant ( as well as the original to court) as well as the Defence ( original to court and copy to claimant if you are doing it on paper - if you were doing it on MCOL then the court do that for you )

And you're doing brilliantly btw xx
                          Attached Files
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            Small claims is £10k now

This is the N180 - if you wanted to fill it in and leave it for your sis to post at the relevant moment.

Copy of that goes to the claimant ( as well as the original to court) as well as the Defence ( original to court and copy to claimant if you are doing it on paper - if you were doing it on MCOL then the court do that for you )

And you're doing brilliantly btw xx
                            Thanks Amethyst:thumb: you are all so Helpful xx

OK. I'm trying to get in clear in my mind what's coming and all I have to do. So please bare with me and correct anything I get wrong? (or just send quick reply for my piece of mind saying all sounds okay!)

First off, I will fill in the N180 and sign it. I assume this lets them know when I'm ready for Court ..
                            Then, I guess they wont write to me asking me to fill in the N180 for about a month, as Cabot get 28 days to decide whether they want to continue (hope they don't!). I'll ask my sis to monitor my mail so she can intercept the court N180 and reply to it by sending my previously filled in 180.
                            I'm guessing once the 180's in I have another month before I have to put in my witness statement.
                            By the way, what sort of thing do I put in my witness statement, you know my case pretty much .. what more can I say?

Then two weeks later its to court. I'm trying to concentrate on the CCA & CPR missing docs for my defence (don't know what I could put in my witness statement apart from that). Till that's been resolved one way or the other, is the judge going to start asking me if I spent the money? I would have thought they would have to prove its enforceable first before they start talking of my responsibilities with a credit card?

Thank you !!

over and out
                            bean:fish2:

Comment

Hi All,

Help needed please :help:

Please could someone take take a look at my above post. Any help will be appreciated. thx

Also, as discussed with Amethyst, I'm filling out an N180 form now. Question A1 asks 'Do you agree to this case being referred to the Small Claims Mediation Service?
                              My response to that is its a waste of time trying mediate. I know the filled in example shows 'yes', but can I tick 'no'?

Its a lot of money I cant afford, even if they give me a discount. SAV took the mickey out of me with this card, Cabot are trading without a license and bought this debt for pennies on the pound (they aren't agents of the original lenders). Also I'm going away for a month or so over Christmas ... so not sure when I would be about to have a conversation I'm really too angry to have.

bean :thumb:
                              :bump2:

Comment

You can tick No as you haven't had any documentation from the claimant.
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X