• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

unenforceable agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atticus View Post
    21 years ago I made some notes in a lecture by a leading QC (now KC) which covered skeleton arguments. Here's a quick summary. Your skeleton argument should come in 4 parts:-

1. Introduction - what the case is about.

2. The facts - what happened.

3. Relevant law. Formulate your statement of the law in a way that leads into...

4. Submissions. These are your points as to how the law applies to the facts of your case and why doing this leads to a conclusion in your favour.

You need to identify the best points and put them succinctly
    Thank You --- I will prepare this for the Court hearing as its only days away? Can you please help what costitutes a true letter of assignment? I have attached the letter claiming to be from sainsburys - but I think its a fraud. They have backdated the date and Sainsbury says in the letter that though the debt has been sold to Cabot (UK) I must deal with Cabot (Europe) which is a seperate company. Also there is no name on this letter nor correspondence address Click image for larger version

Name:	FO1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1668424

Comment

That document is illegible, so I cannot comment on it.

Put forward your grounds for challenging the authenticity of the document.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

First hearing was 5th January and at the next hearing (20th Feb) the judge made the agreement enforceable ignoring my defence altogether now its been adjourned for yet another hearing. Meanwhile the claimants solicitors have filed for £1200 costs already----This seems to be another ongoing scam by the Courts and the collectors. Looked at the complaints ombudson I haven't complained as it says on the website that they really don't have any powers so whats the point?

Comment

Originally posted by monoP View Post
          First hearing was 5th January and at the next hearing (20th Feb) the judge made the agreement enforceable ignoring my defence altogether now its been adjourned for yet another hearing. Meanwhile the claimants solicitors have filed for £1200 costs already----This seems to be another ongoing scam by the Courts and the collectors. Looked at the complaints ombudson I haven't complained as it says on the website that they really don't have any powers so whats the point?
          Why has it been adjourned?

What was said?

You can challenge the costs, if the Claimant / solicitors haven't followed CPR protocols.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Why has it been adjourned?

What was said?

You can challenge the costs, if the Claimant / solicitors haven't followed CPR protocols.
            Thank You so much--- First they adjourned it so they could apply to make it enforceable (Though they said it was for my benefit!) and this time its been adjourned so they can conjure up a default notice meanwhile the costs keep mounting and the Judges are like best mates with the claimants solicitors (Mortimer Clarke)

Comment

Ok to add to the advice already given here, it seems to me that this is a credit agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and your argument is that the agreement is not properly executed because the creditor has not signed it.

This would require an application under s127 Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Essentially the argument is that there has been a breach of s61 CCA, which leads to s65 which renders the agremeent unenforceable without a Court order. Thus they need an order under s127 before they can enforce.

The question for you really is two fold, first do you have any prejudice that you can refer to, if you do then that may lead to the enforcement order being dismissed, if not then the lack of a signature is likely to be considered a de minimis error. Are there any other terms missing from the agreement? even if they are not prescribed terms they may still be important.

Secondly, if you dont have prejudice then you need to look at further issues such as breaches of s87 CCA 1974 etc.
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X