• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

unenforceable agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unenforceable agreement

Hi Court case coming up soon --- but cabot have applied to the court to make it enforceable without a hearing -- Is there anything I can do about this please?
    Tags: None

Hi MONOP

Welcome to LB

It's very unlikely the Court will pass Judgement in their favour if you've filed a Defence.

Comment

Originally posted by monoP View Post
      Hi Court case coming up soon --- but cabot have applied to the court to make it enforceable without a hearing -- Is there anything I can do about this please?
      Thank You LB ---- On the initial hearing the Judge advised Cabot representative to apply (prior to the next hearing) for exemption from the unenforceable agreement and that it is always granted.

The exemption has been granted by the court without a hearing
      Last edited by monoP; 11th February 2024, 07:55:AM.

Comment

Would the OP please provide some detail - what exactly is this case all about? What is the upcoming hearing about?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Monop can you answer the following, copy and paste back onto this thread without personal details:

Received a claim? Yes/No:
          Issue Date:
          Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
          Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
          Claimant’s Name:
          Solicitors Firm:
          Original Creditor:
          Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
          Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
          Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
          List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
          Any Other Information or Background Details:
          When was the account opened?

Comment

Thank You LB ---- On the initial hearing the Judge advised Cabot representative to apply (prior to the next hearing) for exemption from the unenforceable agreement and that it is always granted.

The exemption has been granted by the court without a hearing
            Might be me, but this doesn't make sense. It might be an idea to give the Court a ring to find out what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              Would the OP please provide some detail - what exactly is this case all about? What is the upcoming hearing about?
              There was a court hearingand in my defense I said the debt as unenforceable as it was not signed by the creditor. The Judge made a fresh date for a new hearing whilst advising the claimant that the can apply for exemption and make it enforceable and that its always granted. Thats exactly what the claimant has done meanwhile the new hearing is just a week away and the Court has made the debt enforceable without a hearing

Comment

Just because it doesn't have a signature, doesn't make it 'unenforceable'.

For some 'older' agreements a signature is required.

Have a read of the following:

https://lawzone.legal/when-is-a-cred...20Credit%20Act.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/hand...ate=2016-03-07

Did they send a Default Notice?

Letters of Assignment?

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Just because it doesn't have a signature, doesn't make it 'unenforceable'.

For some 'older' agreements a signature is required.

Have a read of the following:

https://lawzone.legal/when-is-a-cred...20Credit%20Act.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/hand...ate=2016-03-07

Did they send a Default Notice?

Letters of Assignment?
                  The agreement was 2016

They did not provide a Default Notice (They merely said that they were in possesion of one)
                  They supplied a fake letter of assignment but backdated the assignment

Comment

The agreement was 2016

They did not provide a Default Notice (They merely said that they were in possesion of one)
                    They supplied a fake letter of assignment but backdated the assignment
                    Was the account opened online?

In your Defence did you state that they haven't provided a Default Notice and the Letter of Assignment wasn't compliant?

Comment

Was the account opened online?

In your Defence did you state that they haven't provided a Default Notice and the Letter of Assignment wasn't compliant?
                      Thanks --- It was not an online application
                      I said in my defense that I have not received a Default Notice but the Judge completely ignored this as the claimant said they have it in their possesion. Also the letter of assignmentwas sent to me 2 March 2022 but says the actual date of the assignment was January 2022 and didn't have a name or department address ---- just an illegible signature. Again ignored by the Judge. Another The hearing has been made for 20th February 2024 -- as now the Claimant has been able to ask the Court to Change the unenforceable agreement into an enforceable agreement--- That has now been granted by the Court

Comment

Thanks --- It was not an online application
                        I said in my defense that I have not received a Default Notice but the Judge completely ignored this as the claimant said they have it in their possesion. Also the letter of assignmentwas sent to me 2 March 2022 but says the actual date of the assignment was January 2022 and didn't have a name or department address ---- just an illegible signature. Again ignored by the Judge. Another The hearing has been made for 20th February 2024 -- as now the Claimant has been able to ask the Court to Change the unenforceable agreement into an enforceable agreement--- That has now been granted by the Court
                        It looks like they are making it up as they go along.

You are attending the Hearing on the 20th is that correct?

You could write a skeleton argument on the main points (the points raised in your post, you need state why the Claim is unenforceable, do some research, but try to get it emailed tomorrow) that you wish to make at the Hearing. Email a copy to the Court and their solicitors.

https://hallellis.co.uk/write-skeleton-argument/

Comment

It looks like they are making it up as they go along.

You are attending the Hearing on the 20th is that correct?

You could write a skeleton argument on the main points (the points raised in your post, you need state why the Claim is unenforceable, do some research, but try to get it emailed tomorrow) that you wish to make at the Hearing. Email a copy to the Court and their solicitors.

https://hallellis.co.uk/write-skeleton-argument/
                          Right Thank You -- It is the 20th ---and that is what I will do urgently

Comment

In the email, subject line write - Case No XXXXXXXX - Defendants Skeleton Argument - XXXXXXX v XXXXXXX.

Take that to the Hearing. They haven't complied with CCA 1974, they haven't provided the requested documentation (you did request credit agreement, default notice and letter of assignment').

Comment

21 years ago I made some notes in a lecture by a leading QC (now KC) which covered skeleton arguments. Here's a quick summary. Your skeleton argument should come in 4 parts:-

1. Introduction - what the case is about.

2. The facts - what happened.

3. Relevant law. Formulate your statement of the law in a way that leads into...

4. Submissions. These are your points as to how the law applies to the facts of your case and why doing this leads to a conclusion in your favour.

You need to identify the best points and put them succinctly
                              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X