• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Application to lift stay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

I think we should go back and ask them for the unredacted default notice.

It appears payment was made of the minimum payment ON the 22nd Nov, but it bounced, and then payment of 117 was made ( which would have been after receipt of the letter ) .... so when the letter was sent the amount of arrears may have been incorrect, or the 117 may have covered the arrears...

Seems to be a number of 2 payments in 2011 so presumably a conversation was had before/after default and an arrangement for token payments made temporarily ?

The claimant has complied with the CCA request, so not a lot of point in doing that but the Halifax SAR might clear up the default date.

There isn't a great deal to go on defence wise though...only really abuse of process / stat barred now....

the list of documents sent through 2017/18/19 - is that correct ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

the list of documents sent through 2017/18/19 - is that correct ?
          I only recall having received correspondence from November 2018. That is not to say that the other documents to which they are referring were not sent. The past four years have been a bit of a blur due to bereavement of three close family members, and so due to grief I have not been of the mind to address this before now.

I believe token payments were arranged after the default notice was issued, put then perhaps stopped when I transferred to another bank account.

Should I check that the copy of the credit agreement agrees with the signed copy?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

How about the following reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your reply. I would be grateful if you could supply an unredacted copy of the default notice please.

Kind Regards

XXXX

Is there anything else you suggest I add?
            Last edited by liberty24; 13th July 2019, 07:27:AM. Reason: Removed personal info

Comment

Can anyone advice on the post above. I was hoping to formulate a response to the solicitors by this Friday. Amethyst ?

Comment

That sounds absolutely fine though I might be tempted to expand a little as to why you want the dates and that you intend to defend any application to lift the stay.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hello Amethyst, thank you for feedback. I have revised the response to the following:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your reply. I would be grateful for some clarification. I noticed that you stated in your letter that you have supplied a copy of the default notice, however I am unsure why the dates and amounts on the front page of the default notice letter have been blacked out, whilst the date has been included on page 2 of the default notice. Furthermore, I noted from your correspondence that the default notice was issued on 16/12/10, whilst, according to the account statements you have provided, a payment of £117.17 was made on 15/12/10 and there is no indication from the account statements prior to this date that the account was in default. I would therefore question whether a compliant default notice was served and kindly request that you supply me with an unredacted copy of the default notice please. I intend to defend any application to lift the stay on proceedings in this case.

I intend to send it tomorrow and will await their response.

Many thanks

Comment

Following on from the letter that I sent Shoosmiths in my previous post, I received the following response:

"Thank you for your email.

In response to your query regarding the default notice, I confirm that the copy letter supplied to you was a template default notice, not a copy of the default notice issued to you. The purpose of the default notice letter was to illustrate how the default notice issued to you on 16 December 2010 would have been formatted.

As detailed within my previous correspondence, it is clear that you entered into an agreement with Halifax and that the outstanding balance due under the same has not been repaid. Furthermore, documentary evidence of your liability has been provided to you. In the circumstances, it is my client’s view that your defence has no prospects of success.

On the basis of the above, kindly confirm whether you are willing to enter into an affordable repayment arrangement with my client to repay the outstanding balance? I have attached a standard financial statement for your consideration."

I feel that this is really just going back and forward, and that this communication is not achieving anything. Shall I respond or just wait to defend any application that they make to lift the stay?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Hi, can anyone advise on how I should proceed please? Many thanks.

Comment

In response to the letter I received from Shoosmith's, I am considering sending the following response:

Dear Sir/Madam

The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Halifax to Cabot Financial (UK) Limited on 24 June 2014. I do not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

It is denied that Halifax served any Default notice to me pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974, and respectfully ask your client to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served. Your client is required to also prove that any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

I also question whether the relationship is fair in accordance with section 140A of the CCA, in view of the time that the creditor has taken to supply all of the requested documents four years after they were initially requested, and question whether proceeding with the case after this length of time would be an abuse of court process?

I question whether this practice favours creditors to allow them a means to circumvent the Limitation Act by requesting a stay to be lifted for a considerable time after evidence of liability has been requested, during which time they are afforded an endless time limit in which to gather necessary paperwork to counter a defence. This practice would seem to favour creditors, who should not bring a case to court in the first instance if they do not possess sufficient evidence to do so.

For this reason, I will be defending any application to lift the stay on proceedings.

Should I send this response, or is this bat and ball game of communication not ultimately achieving anything. Shall I respond or just wait to defend any application that they make to lift the stay?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Can anyone advise please, Amethyst?

Comment

Originally posted by liberty24 View Post
                            In response to the letter I received from Shoosmith's, I am considering sending the following response:

Dear Sir/Madam

The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Halifax to Cabot Financial (UK) Limited on 24 June 2014. I do not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

It is denied that Halifax served any Default notice to me pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974, and respectfully ask your client to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served. Your client is required to also prove that any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

I also question whether the relationship is fair in accordance with section 140A of the CCA, in view of the time that the creditor has taken to supply all of the requested documents four years after they were initially requested, and question whether proceeding with the case after this length of time would be an abuse of court process?

I question whether this practice favours creditors to allow them a means to circumvent the Limitation Act by requesting a stay to be lifted for a considerable time after evidence of liability has been requested, during which time they are afforded an endless time limit in which to gather necessary paperwork to counter a defence. This practice would seem to favour creditors, who should not bring a case to court in the first instance if they do not possess sufficient evidence to do so.

For this reason, I will be defending any application to lift the stay on proceedings.

Should I send this response, or is this bat and ball game of communication not ultimately achieving anything. Shall I respond or just wait to defend any application that they make to lift the stay?

Thank you for your help.
                            The thing is that you are going to struggle to defend this, they seems to have come up with everything needed.

You can argue around the default notice that they have simply take a copy of a default notice from around the time out of another case file and redacted it to suit their claim, but that doesn't prove you were sent one.

They have not claimed this to be a reconstituted one from the original creditor and you want to attack the validity of it.

Going at them via 104A(1)(b) with a view to an order by the court under 140B(1)(c) is a good move given the length of time they have taken, but whether it will be successful is another thing. I would say you are considering making your own application to lift the stay and seek an order under it given their clients behaviour though to toughen it up.

I'd lose the bit about who their behaviour favours that whole paragraph reads as a "poor me" statement, you want to appear to be strong.
                            Last edited by jaguarsuk; 23rd July 2019, 16:27:PM.
                            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I will seek advice from a solicitor I think. I don't feel that I know enough about the court rules and processes to take this further on my own.
                              Last edited by liberty24; 26th July 2019, 10:16:AM.

Comment

pt2537 ?
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X