• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim Form from County Court Business Centre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim Form from County Court Business Centre

Well, straight in with the questions, minutes after joining the forum, I hope someone can give me some pointers.

So, I've been burying my head in the sand for some time now, and it looks like things are catching up with me. The hard facts:

Received a claim? : YES
    Issue Date: 18th June 2019
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: NOT YET
    Total Amount Claimed : £9800
    Claimant’s Name: Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd
    Solicitors Firm: Mortimer Clarke
    Original Creditor: NewDay Ltd Re Marbles
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Credit Card
    Particulars of Claim: By an agreement between NewDay Ltd Re Marbles & the Defendant on or around **/**/2003 ('the Agreement') NewDay Ltd Re Marbles agreed to issue the Defendant with a credit card.
    The Defendant failed to make the minimum pyments due & the Agreement was terminated. The Agreement was assigned to the Claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS **** 2. Costs

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): Not Statute Barred, I had been doing minimum payments until about 4 years ago.

List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): Sadly, I was ignoring all the letters and phone calls from Mortimer Clarke, including a Letter Before Action a couple of months ago. A couple of weeks ago, the incessant calls reached fever pitch, and I concluded action really was in the pipe. I found a letter template on the Debtline website and sent a request to Cabot for information under sections 77-79 CCA 1974 (but not to Mortimer Clark) along with a £1.00 P.O.
    Some 5 days or so later, the Claim Form from Northampton County Court Business Centre, dated 18th June 2019, landed on my doormat.
    Over this past weekend, a letter dated 17th June 2019 arrived from Cabot, stating they do not have the relevant info on file, so will be requesting a copy of the credit agreement and terms & conditions from my original lender as well as a statement of my account. This may take some time, but they will write within the next 12 days with an update...

Any Other Information or Background Details: I'm in no position to pay this debt, and being self-employed, my income varies wildly from month to month. Some months, I literally have nothing in my bank account, and have to rely on family charity entirely. Not the odd month either, I mean for 2 or 3 months till clients cough up and I can take another gulp of air above the waves. There are other credit card debts outstanding, 2 more at about the same amount, but nobody is chasing those very hard right now. I realise they will be coming for me...
    Trying to decide whether to keep on treading water or just take the big gulp and go under. There is a remote chance, via a family benefactor, of cobbling together about £8k maximum to see if I could clear my debts, but I don't actually have it in hand. I wouldn't want to get it, give it to one lot of vultures and then have the others tear me apart.
    Meanwhile, as I mull it over, I need to get these people off my back...

I guess I acknowledge the claim online first, and fire off more requests to Mortimer Clarke and NewDay?

Any advice welcomed, my calm acceptance of my situation has evaporated and a rising panic is threatening to engulf me. Deep breaths, deep breaths....

Tags: None

Acknowledge the claim first - with intent to defend in full - and send a cpr request and a SAR to NewDay - no need to do another cca request to Cabot

. Acknowledge Claim via mcol
    CPR 31.14 Request to Mortimer Clarke
    Subject Access to NewDay

They haven't plead that the account defaulted at all - does it show on your credit file ?
    It was opened in 2003 so would have been a manually signed agreement rather than digital - so they might struggle.

This claim is for £9800 - How much are other debts you have ?? If you might have access to £8k there is no point paying this one off at a negotiated say £7k and having another £5k debt end up at court in a few months. You would want really to use it to settle all the debts pro-rata if at all possible. You could have a chat with cab or national debtline to help work that out. Or if there's no chance of covering everything there might be other options.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by EricvN View Post
      Well, straight in with the questions, minutes after joining the forum, I hope someone can give me some pointers.

So, I've been burying my head in the sand for some time now, and it looks like things are catching up with me. The hard facts:

Received a claim? : YES
      Issue Date: 18th June 2019
      Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: NOT YET
      Total Amount Claimed : £9800
      Claimant’s Name: Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd
      Solicitors Firm: Mortimer Clarke
      Original Creditor: NewDay Ltd Re Marbles
      Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Credit Card
      Particulars of Claim: By an agreement between NewDay Ltd Re Marbles & the Defendant on or around **/**/2003 ('the Agreement') NewDay Ltd Re Marbles agreed to issue the Defendant with a credit card.
      The Defendant failed to make the minimum pyments due & the Agreement was terminated. The Agreement was assigned to the Claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS **** 2. Costs

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): Not Statute Barred, I had been doing minimum payments until about 4 years ago.

List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): Sadly, I was ignoring all the letters and phone calls from Mortimer Clarke, including a Letter Before Action a couple of months ago. A couple of weeks ago, the incessant calls reached fever pitch, and I concluded action really was in the pipe. I found a letter template on the Debtline website and sent a request to Cabot for information under sections 77-79 CCA 1974 (but not to Mortimer Clark) along with a £1.00 P.O.
      Some 5 days or so later, the Claim Form from Northampton County Court Business Centre, dated 18th June 2019, landed on my doormat.
      Over this past weekend, a letter dated 17th June 2019 arrived from Cabot, stating they do not have the relevant info on file, so will be requesting a copy of the credit agreement and terms & conditions from my original lender as well as a statement of my account. This may take some time, but they will write within the next 12 days with an update...

Any Other Information or Background Details: I'm in no position to pay this debt, and being self-employed, my income varies wildly from month to month. Some months, I literally have nothing in my bank account, and have to rely on family charity entirely. Not the odd month either, I mean for 2 or 3 months till clients cough up and I can take another gulp of air above the waves. There are other credit card debts outstanding, 2 more at about the same amount, but nobody is chasing those very hard right now. I realise they will be coming for me...
      Trying to decide whether to keep on treading water or just take the big gulp and go under. There is a remote chance, via a family benefactor, of cobbling together about £8k maximum to see if I could clear my debts, but I don't actually have it in hand. I wouldn't want to get it, give it to one lot of vultures and then have the others tear me apart.
      Meanwhile, as I mull it over, I need to get these people off my back...

I guess I acknowledge the claim online first, and fire off more requests to Mortimer Clarke and NewDay?

Any advice welcomed, my calm acceptance of my situation has evaporated and a rising panic is threatening to engulf me. Deep breaths, deep breaths....

you may want to watch this space, as there is a trial in July that may well have an interesting impact on New days marbles portfolio. I cannot say too much at this stage because of obvious reasons but will update as soon as i can

btw the pleadings are shite too, where is the default notice? where is the mention of how the agreement was t erminated, when was it terminated etc
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

2003 it'd have been SAV I think - so potential assignment issues there.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          2003 it'd have been SAV I think - so potential assignment issues there.
          i dont think so lol
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

i dont think so lol
            https://newday.co.uk/about-us/history/

Comment

Marbles was still in the hands of Beneficial Bank plc a subsidiary of HSBC Bank Plc til 2007, those pleadings are woeful, not only do they not plead the assignment, they dont plead the default notice either, thats fatal

Comment

Ahh HSBC... there's just so many that ended up with Newday. So Marbles was HFC, then HSBC ( in 2003?) then SAV in 2007, changing to Newday in 2014 ? bit of a trek.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                  Marbles was still in the hands of Beneficial Bank plc a subsidiary of HSBC Bank Plc til 2007, those pleadings are woeful, not only do they not plead the assignment, they dont plead the default notice either, thats fatal
                  They plead very little at all. Strike app pre defence? Already in default of CCA request pre issue as well.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

They plead very little at all. Strike app pre defence? Already in default of CCA request pre issue as well.
                    I think its certainly arguable that this is the way to go, their claim is hopeless, it is incapable of proof based on the facts.

Comment

Basic
                      (1) Summary judgment be given against the Claimant under CPR 24.2 on the ground that the claim has no real prospect of success and there is no other compelling reason why the case should be disposed of at a trial, or alternatively

(2) The claim be struck out on the ground that it discloses no reasonable grounds for being brought and/or is an abuse of the court's process
                      They have actually plead Assignment ( very vaguely)
                      The Agreement was assigned to the Claimant.

NewDay Ltd Re Marbles agreed to issue the Defendant with a credit card.
                      is wrong in any event as Newday were never HFC ( beneficial ) nor HSBC, only SAV ( possibly depending which arm of Newday Cabot bought the debt off of ) so even with assignment saying NewDay re Marbles can never be correct, that's just the party that Cabot bought the debt off of.

Use this
                      letter dated 17th June 2019 arrived from Cabot, stating they do not have the relevant info on file,
                      as an exhibit to the application?
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Acknowledge the claim first - with intent to defend in full - and send a cpr request and a SAR to NewDay - no need to do another cca request to Cabot

. Acknowledge Claim via mcol
                        CPR 31.14 Request to Mortimer Clarke
                        Subject Access to NewDay

They haven't plead that the account defaulted at all - does it show on your credit file ?
                        It was opened in 2003 so would have been a manually signed agreement rather than digital - so they might struggle.

This claim is for £9800 - How much are other debts you have ?? If you might have access to £8k there is no point paying this one off at a negotiated say £7k and having another £5k debt end up at court in a few months. You would want really to use it to settle all the debts pro-rata if at all possible. You could have a chat with cab or national debtline to help work that out. Or if there's no chance of covering everything there might be other options.
                        Firstly, many thanks for the speedy advice, it's a ray of hope!

Credit file? Hmmm, as you may have gathered, I think I have some sort of financial autism - when it comes to all things money, my brain scrambles and I will do ANYTHING to avoid dealing with it. I've never checked my credit file, I know I am hopeless and skint and have left it at that! I shall investigate...

My other debts are a couple of other credit cards of around the same figures - one about 8k, one about 11k. My thoughts were exactly as you expressed - no point in paying one off and being hammered for the others a little later. I shall make an effort to get to speak to CAB or Debtline, see what I can do.

Comment

Some links to help access your credit files here https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-report-access

If you write down everything that appears and the status of it then CAB etc should be able to help you come up with a plan to get on top of things xxx It might feel a bit scary when you look at the list but once you know where you stand and start dealing with it it really is amazing the weight it lifts off your mind
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Well, well, well, interesting times.
                            Got a letter from Cabot saying that as they haven't been able to provide me with the info requested, the CA is unenforceable, meaning they are not permitted from obtaining a judgement or decree against me in court.

Great news, but do I need to do anything in regards to MCOL? I'm not saying Cabot are a bunch of snakes, but they aren't leading me into (more) inaction and a subsequent judgement against me, are they? Does their claim just get struck out if they don't proceed within a certain time, or do they have to withdraw the claim (it's still there, the latest info being my acknowledgement of claim)?

Many thanks to those who give their time helping inadequates like me!

Comment

You do still need to file your defence by day 33 from the date of issue of the claim unless they formally agree to an extension. The reply from Cabot to the CCA letter is quite standard and they likely actually have no idea that its already at court via Mortimer Clarke, so no, it's rubbish admin rather than purposely misleading. So your defence wants to go in around 18th July - there's a starting point here -> Example Defence
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X