• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Better Particulars of Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Particulars of Claim

As the Claimant in what was originally an MCOL case, I recently attended County Court for the Defendant's application for judgement in default to be set aside, which was successful.

The DJ realised that there were wider issues to my claim than just the money being claimed in my original application, so he has now ordered for me to submit better particulars of claim to give me the opportunity to present these matters to court.

I've read through the Handbook for Litigants in Person and also this thread on a similar subject https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...of-claim/page4

I have now drafted the better POC, but just wanted to check a few points before I submit if someone would be kind enough to respond please?:

1. In line with the handbook guidance, I've kept the POC as brief as possible and limited this to the following sections using numbered paragraphs throughout, am I missing anything?
    a) Introduction - who the Claimant and Defendant are, their relationship and contractual obligation
    b) Summary of Events - keeping this as brief as possible to factual events and avoiding any legal arguments
    c) Particulars of Breach - what express and implied breaches of contract and failures to comply with covenants have taken place
    d) Losses - specific losses that have been suffered
    e) Reliefs - specific reliefs being sought in respect of the losses suffered - specific performance of contractual obligations, damages for financial losses, interest relating to these, costs already accumulated
    f) Statement of truth

2. Within the Losses section, should I list Interest and Costs to Date as items, or just put these into the Reliefs?

3. Witness Statements - will these be requested by the court at a later stage e.g. following case management directions?

4. Legal arguments including case law precedents - should these be included within the Witness Statements at the later stage?

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Any words of advice from anyone please?

I have until 4pm Thursday to submit my updated POC.

For context, my claim is for breach of the express repair and maintenance terms of a Leasehold agreement against my Local Authority.

TIA.

Comment

1. That outline looks good.

2. Just in the "reliefs" that you claim.

3. These come later. The court will give 'directions' detailing further steps to be taken and dates for doing so.

4. Witness Statements should be confined to what happened. They should not contain legal argument. That is for you as you prepare for the hearing.

5. Read the handbook for Litigants in Person - link in my signature.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you Atticus, much appreciated.

Comment

Having now filed the better Particulars of Claim with the court and having served these on the Defendant, is the Defendant required to file acknowledgement of service of these better Particulars? The Claim form was filed and served several months ago alongside the original Particulars of Claim.

The Directions of the DJ previously outlined a detailed timeline for
          • Me to file better Particulars
          • The Defendant to file and serve their Defence
          • Both parties to file and serve directions questionnaires
          • The court to then make case management directions based on the papers filed
          Therefore I'm assuming that the Defendant wouldn't need to acknowledge service of the better Particulars?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X