• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bcs claim form, lowell/shop direct

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bcs claim form, lowell/shop direct

I still haven't heard back from Lowell regarding my CCA request.

I have received response from BC after sending the second CPR letter and arguing the SB, and it seems they have just re-sent their first response.

''We write further to your letter dated 18 May 2015 requesting disclosure under P31 of CPR.
    We can confirm the claim form was issued by the county court business centre and that the court's protocol was followed when issuing the claimant's particulars of claim. Practice direction 7c point 1.4 (3a) eliminates the requirement to attach documents to the particulars of claim when they are issued by this court.
    We confirm this matter will most properly (sure they mean probably??) be allocated to the small claims track as this is a simple contractual matter and p31 of the CPR will therefore not apply. In any event the notices of default and assignment left the control of the claimant when they were dispatched to you.
    It is the original creditor's policy to issue agreements at the start of the contract and statements throughout the duration of the agreement and, in this regard, we ask you to refer to your own records.
    Our client's position is that the limitation period runs from the date the original creditor became entitled to demand payment. The account fell into default on 31 January 2011 and the claim was issued on 29 April 2015. It is our client's position that the account is not statute barred and that the outstanding balance remains payable by you.
    We confirm our client is not agreeable to an extension for filing defence.
    As you will be aware a claim was issued in this matter on or around 29 April 2015 and we are in receipt of your acknowledgement of service.
    We recommend you seek independent legal advice...''

What is my next step? Add to my defence that they refused to follow CPR after a second request and continued to wrongly advise regarding the SB/limitation act?

Thanks!

Comment

I have amended my defence but not sure if I have gone into too much detail? Could you please refer to the above post and let me know if I should submit the below or wait until Lowell's time is up on 29th?

1: I received the claim BXXXXXX from the Northampton County Court on 30th April 2015.

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this defence.

3: This claim appears to be for a catalogue account agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. It is denied that I entered into a consumer credit regulated agreement with Shop Direct. I do not recall seeing or signing any such agreement.

4: The Claimant’s statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards to the claim.

5. The particulars of claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.

6. The Claimant’s statement of case states that the account was assigned from Shop Direct to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd on 10/02/2011. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

7. It is denied that Shop Direct served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

8. I have not acknowledged or made any payments to Shop Direct or any party acting on their behalf, or any assignee of the alleged debt in the past 6 years. After checking my credit file, I have discovered that the case for this alleged debt was opened on 17th February 2007.

9. Therefore it is submitted that any debt would be statue barred under section 5 of the Limitations act 1980.

10. On 9th May 2015, I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Bryan Carter Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provides copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment and requested extended time to file my defence. I also informed Bryan Carter that this debt would have been statute barred prior to submitting their claim to the court.

11. On 9th May 2015 I also sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

12. On 13th May 2015, Bryan Carter Solicitors responded and refused to send any of these documents to me and also refused to extend time to file my defence. They also denied that the debt is statute barred and claimed that the limitation period runs from the date the original creditor became entitled to demand payment, suggesting this was on 31 January 2011. My understanding of the Limitation Act 1980 is that the limitation period runs from the date on which the cause of action accrued in 2007.

13. On 18th May 2015 I sent Bryan Carter Solicitors a second letter requesting the documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case and also asked them to refer to section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980 regarding the statute barring.

14. On 22nd May, Bryan Carter Solicitors sent a repeat of their first response sent to me on 13th May 2015. Again they refused to send documents, refused to extend my time to file a defence and denied that the debt is statute barred.

15. The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

16. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

17. I request the court orders the Claimant to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case, and provide strict proof of any acknowledgement or payment in the last 6 years or else the Claim should stand struck out.

18. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

19. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Comment

I will add to point 11 that no response or agreement has been received to date from the claimant.

Comment

[MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] hoping you see this before Friday :-) x

Comment

Hi I am around but just looking in as and when time allows.

No response from CCA request once the 12 +2 days has expired means the debt is
            unenforceable until the agreement is produced.

nem.

Comment

Ok thanks Nem, I will wait until Friday and then amend my defence to confirm it wasn't received within the allowed time before I submit. I guess what I've written above is ok, I will just need to add to point 11 that no response or agreement has been received within the allowed time of 12+2 days?

Comment

DEFENCE SUBMITTED! Feeling nervous and hopeful. How long until we hear anything after submitting defence usually? I received nothing from Lowell by the way, but I suppose they have until the end of today? Thanks for your help thus far :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jojo03 View Post
                  DEFENCE SUBMITTED! Feeling nervous and hopeful. How long until we hear anything after submitting defence usually?
                  Claimant has 28 days from receipt of your defence to respond saying whether they wish to proceed with the claim or not, if they don't respond the claim will be stayed.

I received nothing from Lowell by the way, but I suppose they have until the end of today? Thanks for your help thus far :-)
                  Why the end of today? They can provide the agreement at any point. If the claim proceeds, the court will issue directions including the requirement to disclose documents. That will be some time down the line, once you've received a directions questionnaire, etc.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, today marks the final day of the 12+2 days they have to respond to my CCA request, so I was under the impression that they now cannot enforce until it is produced. I am hoping I don't get home to find a letter waiting on my doorstep, but if it turns up any day now will I have to amend my defence or will the court just take the SB status into account?

Comment

Thank you for your reply, today marks the final day of the 12+2 days they have to respond to my CCA request, so I was under the impression that they now cannot enforce until it is produced. I am hoping I don't get home to find a letter waiting on my doorstep, but if it turns up any day now will I have to amend my defence or will the court just take the SB status into account?
                      SB is an absolute defence and always takes precedence over other issues. Even if there was an agreement signed by you with all the terms, etc. if there's been no payment or written acknowledgment in at least six years then it would still be unrecoverable through the courts. If you submit a SBd defence, the onus is on them to prove it isn't. :thumb:

Comment

Hi all, I have an update...

So I received a letter from BC with intent to proceed, and received the small claims track form which I sent back- making sure I agreed to mediation and served copies on all parties.
                        I received a call last week from mediation but missed it as I've been ridiculously busy with work. I tried calling back Friday evening, Monday and today but couldn't get through.
                        Today I got a letter titled 'notice of transfer of proceedings' which basically states that as a mediation appointment has not been made, the claim has been transferred to the county court hearing centre for allocation and I should wait for the judges directions.
                        Does this mean I am now waiting on a court date? Will it go against me that I wasn't able to make a mediation appointment?
                        I have not received any agreement from Lowells or a reply to my CCA request whatsoever. Though I understand that doesn't really matter since the debt is SBd.
                        Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Comment

Hi all, I have an update...

So I received a letter from BC with intent to proceed, and received the small claims track form which I sent back- making sure I agreed to mediation and served copies on all parties.
                          I received a call last week from mediation but missed it as I've been ridiculously busy with work. I tried calling back Friday evening, Monday and today but couldn't get through.
                          Today I got a letter titled 'notice of transfer of proceedings' which basically states that as a mediation appointment has not been made, the claim has been transferred to the county court hearing centre for allocation and I should wait for the judges directions.
                          Does this mean I am now waiting on a court date? Will it go against me that I wasn't able to make a mediation appointment?
                          I have not received any agreement from Lowells or a reply to my CCA request whatsoever. Though I understand that doesn't really matter since the debt is SBd.
                          Thanks in advance for your assistance!
                          Was the call the actual mediation appointment?

Yes wait for the directions.

How sure are you of the statute barred status of the debt.

nem

Comment

No it was just them calling me to arrange an appointment, and I booked a day off and tried calling them back to make the appointment but couldn't get through.
                            I am as sure as I can be with the SB status. The account was opened 8 years ago and not a penny was paid on it, not to Lowell, not to Shop Direct and not to BC.
                            At what point does the clock start ticking?

Comment

is this not sounding too promising?

Comment

:tinysmile_aha_t: I can't believe I didn't come back to update!! I thought I had, so sorry.
                                Well, good news..... I didn't have to go to court. The court asked for copies of the agreement and questioned the SB status back in June/July. BC/Lowell could not provide I assume because the next thing I received in the post was a letter from BC to advise they were standing down and the account had been updated to £0.00 owed. Yay!!
                                This is still to this day showing on my credit file as a default though, and the full amount still shows.
                                I have tried looking for the letter that I put in that 'safe place' and can't find it for love nor money. Any advice?? Is this normal??

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, it was a formal notice of discontinuance that I received- couldn't think of what it was called
                                :tinysmile_aha_t: I can't believe I didn't come back to update!! I thought I had, so sorry.
                                Well, good news..... I didn't have to go to court. The court asked for copies of the agreement and questioned the SB status back in June/July. BC/Lowell could not provide I assume because the next thing I received in the post was a letter from BC to advise they were standing down and the account had been updated to £0.00 owed. Yay!!
                                This is still to this day showing on my credit file as a default though, and the full amount still shows.
                                I have tried looking for the letter that I put in that 'safe place' and can't find it for love nor money. Any advice?? Is this normal??

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X