• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - lowell portfolio/ lloyds bank/ Bryan carter - 20/01/2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Claim - lowell portfolio/ lloyds bank/ Bryan carter - 20/01/2015

im glad it's not just me who thought it made no sense, thought I was just being stupid and I'm not overly clued up with legal stuff but even I can tell that it made for bad reading.

Comment

Originally posted by baby_bernie88 View Post
      im glad it's not just me who thought it made no sense, thought I was just being stupid and I'm not overly clued up with legal stuff but even I can tell that it made for bad reading.
      You were spot on!!

nem

- - - Updated - - -

You were spot on!!

nem

Comment

Apart from not making sense, it doesn't comply with the requirements for a WS. According to the PD 32 of the CPR, a WS has to indicate where the witness got their statements from: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...part32#witness
        18.2 A witness statement must indicate:
        (1) which of the statements in it are made from the witness’s own knowledge and which are matters of information or belief, and
        (2) the source for any matters of information or belief.
        Highly unlikely that said 'witness' would have a clue how she knows what a creditor's policy would have been when people apply for credit to start with.

This is an interesting article: http://www.dentons.com/en/insights/a...erary-flourish
        Andrew Smith J in his recent judgment in Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander Ltd (in administration) v. UBS AG [2014] EWHC 2450 (Comm) is not the first judge to complain of overly long witness statements. High Court judges have been heard to remark on witness statements which have been lovingly crafted like novels by lawyers (sometimes on a War and Peace scale) rather than being factual narratives in the witness's own words.
        Although that paralegal's WS can hardly be considered 'lovingly crafted', it tries to go along the same lines in terms of not being a factual narrative.

There's more interesting reading regarding WS here: https://civillitigationbrief.wordpre...come-to-grief/

Matters of that sort should not be in any witness statement, and I do not think that there is any encouragement to make submissions in witness statements in the Commercial Court or in any other court.”
        The Judge was then met with an argument that the legal arguments would have to be put somewhere – either in the witness statement or the skeleton argument. The Judge was less than sympathetic to this argument:
        I have to read it twice and it wastes time, and it is inappropriate in a witness statement. He should not make submissions and neither should he make extensive reference to documents. A witness statement is a written statement signed by a person who gives evidence, and only evidence ….”
        It was argued that there was a distinction between witness statements for “interlocutory proceedings”. Again this submission did not find favour with the Court.
        Witness statements are not the place for argument. It means you have to read everything twice…. A lot of it is tendentious comment which is bound up with fact. I think this witness statement is an example of what a witness statement should not be whether in the Commercial Court or anything else. It is a tendentious advocate’s document. I am minded to disallow the cost of it actually.”

Comment

Sent a letter to the courts, Lowell and bc stating I won't be submitting any extra evidence etc.so I guess now I just wait till my court date which is the 3rd August.

Comment

Sent a letter to the courts, Lowell and bc stating I won't be submitting any extra evidence etc.so I guess now I just wait till my court date which is the 3rd August.
            Best of luck! ray: ray: ray: ray: ray: ray:

Will be interesting to see if someone actually turns up, maybe Mr Carter will send the paralegal who wrote that WS, will be interesting to see the judge's face when he reads that! opcorn:

Comment

The judge awarded it to Lowell, so I have to pay the original £800 off plus interest and £200 for costs so just over £1000 in total.

he said he had to make his judgement on the evidence that was in front of him and said it was more probable that the statements that Lowell submitted were correct.
              He asked what my thoughts were on the witness statement so said I don't agree with it and that it was based on what should have happened about this case and not what has definitely happened with the case and then he said that those are just my feelings about it and that that was irrelevant...so why did he ask me if what I thought about it if it was irrelevant!!

Gutted to say the least, finally started to get my finances in check and was nearly debt free and this is a massive set back.

Comment

Sorry to hear that baby_bernie. I don't know much about your case but it's always irritating when you aren't listened to. You will now need to get in touch with the claimants and arrange payment - if you can pay the whole lot within 28 days you won't have the CCJ registered against you, if not you will need to come to an agreement with them about a installment arrangement.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X