• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Set aside liability order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a footnote I have received an email today regarding the hearing I have listed next week, below is part of the email -

I can confirm that I have once more chased with the Magistrates courts to set aside the Liability Order previously obtained, I have written to them and spoken over the phone today to confirm they have received my instruction to set aside the Liability Order and confirmed we will not attend and are not pursuing the balance at this moment. They have confirmed they will carry out our instruction and that your name will be struck off the list. A hearing to set aside a Liability Order is different from an ordinary hearing as the magistrates are not able to award costs and can only decide on if the Liability Order is to stand or not.

They seem twitchy about any potential costs?

In an email I received from the court in July when requesting a set aside it clearly stated if my case met the criteria and I was granted a hearing, if I was unsuccessful I would be expected to pay reasonable costs towards the council, do costs now only work one way?

Comment

I renovated my son's house. He was a single person but could not live there for quite a few months due to the extent of the work needed. The council would only grant the 25% discount from the date he physically moved in.

Comment

The OP states he was "I was renovating a rental property in between tenants to bring it up to energy rating standards at the request of the council...."

Since 2020, there has been a minimum EPC rating of E for all residential tenancies. If the work was to get the dwelling up to that rating occurred here, there is no statutory discount - the works are deemed to be required statutory works during the void period.

Comment

Correct.

The government had proposed that new tenancies would need an EPC rating of C by 2025 (or 2028 for existing tenancies), but these changes have now been scrapped. I was working towards these proposed changes in 2022/23.

What is your opinion on a local authority happy to issue two properties with a single person occupancy discount but not just one property? That is surely farcical?

Comment

Also, is the local authority correct in stating no costs can be awarded at a set aside hearing? I have conflicting information from the local authority and the magistrate court itself?

Comment

2nd par yr post 19 My answer - the Billing Authority made an error. As a creature of statute a Local Authority can only do what legislation permits it to do - positive law, a concept that many LA employees simply don't understand and in consequence make up 'laws' as they go along. Welcome to my world!

Yr post 20 - I think you are mixing up two different concepts.

To labour the point I made in an earlier post, a set aside simply means that the existing Liability Order is quashed and the LA costs on the CT Bill for making the Application for the Liability Order and the summons costs will be deleted from the existing CT Bill.

The LA will issue a replacement Bill and if you don't pay that it will issue the Statutory Notices, and when that is done, it will go on to issue an Application for a Liability Order which will be set down for a hearing. You will receive a summons to that hearing. If that hearing occurs you can oppose the making of the Liability Order. Your grounds of opposition then will be what?

I can tell you that your defence can only succeed if you can demonstrate that you are not one of the classes of person at s.6 Local Government Finance Act 1992 or are exempt per this:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...article/3/made

Comment

You may find the attached useful VT00001495_Decision.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X