• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Set aside liability order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set aside liability order

I had a liability order granted against me for council tax. I have applied to the magistrates court in question for the order to be set-aside. I feel i have met the criteria for the court to consider the matter, namely I have an arguable dispute as to the liability of the rate, a procedural error was made and I acted promptly. Also I would have attended court to state this in person but I did not receive a summons. I had lodged an appeal and the liability order was granted before the appeal has been considered (or even looked at).

My appeal to set aside was received by the court three weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since, does anyone know how long they take to consider?

In the meantime the local authority have instructed bailiffs, are they legally entitled to enforce the order ifI have applied for it to be set aside?

I have posted this elsewhere but in the wrong section, sorry for any confusion.
    Tags: None

Why did you not receive the summons? I have every sympathy as I have similar situation where I do not owe something they say I do...I deal with liability orders in court as a magistrate - they are dealt with in bulk - anyone who turns up usually meets with the council in the corridor and they do not often come before us. Has your appeal been acknowledged? It may be worth writing to the council and telling them an appeal has been submitted just in case

Comment

Yes, the appeal was sent in and automatically acknowledged three weeks before the liability order was granted. To date I’ve been told it’s not ever been looked at.

How long do magistrates take to consider a set aside request?

Comment

I doubt we would see it - well I have never seen one - probably done by a District Judge? I would write to the council and tell them and make it clear that they must not send in baliffs

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X