• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

N9B defence for inaccurate CCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N9B defence for inaccurate CCA

Hi, I’ve received a court claim for a catalogue account. I’ve previously requested the CCA and been sent a document with an alleged address that wasn’t mine at the date of the agreement. I think this makes the CCA unenforceable. Am I right and how do I word this as a defence? Many thanks
    Tags: None

Hi DOLALLY1

If you could fill in the following and post that on this thread:

Received a claim? Yes/No:
    Issue Date:
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
    Claimant’s Name:
    Solicitors Firm:
    Original Creditor:
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
    Any Other Information or Background Details:

a) What you need to do is Acknowledge Service online, that will give you an extra 14 days to work on you defence, so that 28 days in total, plus 5 days.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

b) Send them a request for each account, they have 14 days to provide you with a copy of your original agreements.
    Make sure you get Proof of Postage. (It look like you might of done this).

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

c) Send their solicitors a CPR 31.14 Request, they have 12 days to provide documents they are relying to make the claim. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

d) Send them a SAR for the accounts, they have 30 days to provide all the details on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Make sure you get your defence in on time, so 28 days from the date of the claim letter, note it in your diary.

This is an example defence, that needs to be amended (amended carefully) to take account of events at this moment in time. A copy is sent to the Court and a copy sent to the creditors solicitors, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Comment

Thank you for your response.

yes I have received a court claim form and I have acknowledged it. I have already requested CCA and had the documents returned to me. However my argument is that it’s not a true copy as the address is incorrect. If the address is incorrect to the alleged opening date of the account how can I be sure the rest is correct.

Do I simply state this on the N9b form?

amount is £3500

Any help gratefully appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Dolally1 View Post
        Thank you for your response.

yes I have received a court claim form and I have acknowledged it. I have already requested CCA and had the documents returned to me. However my argument is that it’s not a true copy as the address is incorrect. If the address is incorrect to the alleged opening date of the account how can I be sure the rest is correct.

Do I simply state this on the N9b form?

amount is £3500

Any help gratefully appreciated

a) yes I have received a court claim form and I have acknowledged it.

Good.

b) I have already requested CCA and had the documents returned to me.

Good, you need to check other things in the Agreement / Terms and Conditions.

c) However my argument is that it’s not a true copy as the address is incorrect. If the address is incorrect to the alleged opening date of the account how can I be sure the rest is correct.

Clearly it should have the correct address, but check to see if the agreement has been varied, i.e. has the APR changed from opening / closing of the account, etc.

d) Do I simply state this on the N9b form?

No, your defence should only deal with the Particulars of Claim.

e) You also need to do c / d as stated in post 2.

Also you haven't provided the information requested in post 2.

Comment

Ok thanks.

Will do c/d today however am running short of time thanks to the claim arriving 2 days after I left home to go away for 10 days, typical! So not sure (even with the 28+5) that there will be time for Reston’s to reply. I have the contract and letter of assignment from their previous letter before claim.

So looking through the defence link you’ve attached at this stage despite the court form asking for as much detail as possible I’m only stating it’s that I don’t have documentation to defend. It will then go to a hearing and at that point i state I think it’s unenforceable due to x ? Have I understood that correctly?

Not statute barred (12 months to go)

Comment

a) Will do c/d today however am running short of time thanks to the claim arriving 2 days after I left home to go away for 10 days, typical! So not sure (even with the 28+5) that there will be time for Reston’s to reply. I have the contract and letter of assignment from their previous letter before claim.

Good, send off the CPR and SAR letters. The important thing is to get them sent off. You might not get the information back in time, but you can put that in your defence. You haven't received the a copy of the Default Notice.

b) So looking through the defence link you’ve attached at this stage despite the court form asking for as much detail as possible I’m only stating it’s that I don’t have documentation to defend. It will then go to a hearing and at that point i state I think it’s unenforceable due to x ? Have I understood that correctly?

You haven't received all the documentation i.e. default notice etc (you've been asked to fill in the form in post 2, you still haven't done that, so I don't even know what documents you should be requesting under the CPR)

You file your defence, then you will be sent a Directions Questionnaire, you will then have the opportunity for 'mediation' if both parties agree.

Comment

info as requested -

Received a claim? Yes/
              Issue Date: 8April
              Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: yes online but no confirmation email received?! Not sure if I should be worried
              Total Amount Claimed : 3500
              Claimant’s Name: Debt mngs
              Solicitors Firm: Restons
              Original Creditor: Next
              Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : catalogue online
              Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ): claimant claims payment of the overdue balance from defendant under contract between defendant and next dated on or about Aug 14 2001 and assigned to the claimant Dec 20 2019. Notice of assignment has been given to the defendant
              Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): not SB, no contact other than 2x response forms to letter before claim request box c & D ticked and SARs request feb 2021
              List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): CCA sent 2018 and SARS feb 2021. 2 x CCA received feb 18 & March 22 both with different personal details

Comment

info as requested -

Received a claim? Yes/
                Issue Date: 8April
                Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: yes online but no confirmation email received?! Not sure if I should be worried
                Total Amount Claimed : 3500
                Claimant’s Name: Debt mngs
                Solicitors Firm: Restons
                Original Creditor: Next
                Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : catalogue online
                Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ): claimant claims payment of the overdue balance from defendant under contract between defendant and next dated on or about Aug 14 2001 and assigned to the claimant Dec 20 2019. Notice of assignment has been given to the defendant
                Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): not SB, no contact other than 2x response forms to letter before claim request box c & D ticked and SARs request feb 2021
                List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): CCA sent 2018 and SARS feb 2021. 2 x CCA received feb 18 & March 22 both with different personal details
                You can check on MCOL history, that should show your acknowledgement.

When did you make the last payment? (is that why it's not statute barred?)

Because the account was opened pre 2007, they should provide a copy of the original agreement. I think what you may have (what they have sent) is a 'reconstituted agreement', so basically they have made it up from the details they have at hand. Have you got evidence of your address at the time (2001)?

Comment

You can check on MCOL history, that should show your acknowledgement. - ah yes thank you, shows online

When did you make the last payment? (is that why it's not statute barred?) - 2018

Because the account was opened pre 2007, they should provide a copy of the original agreement. I think what you may have (what they have sent) is a 'reconstituted agreement', so basically they have made it up from the details they have at hand. Have you got evidence of your address at the time (2001)? - yes mortgage statement, house deeds, payslips etc

thank you so much for taking the time to help with this.

Comment

Make sure you get your defence in on time, so 28 days from the date of the claim letter, note it in your diary.

This is an example defence, that needs to be amended (amended carefully) to take account of events at this moment in time.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Once you done it, post it up without personal details, obviously wait to see what further documents they send, then I can have a look at it.

A copy is sent to the Court and a copy sent to the creditors solicitors, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Comment

I’ve received replies now to the SARS and CPR letter.

SARS was a simple we will get back to you in 30 days but CPR response wasn’t quite so simple -

”we would point out that the claim was issued by the County Court business centre which is a procedure specifically provided for in the CPR. This procedure only allows the claimant to insert brief details of the claim and does not allow for any attachment of any enclosure. Paragraph 5.2A of practice Direction 7E specifically states “the requirement in paragraph 7.3 of practice direction 16 for documents to be attached to the particulars of contract claim does not apply to claims started using an online claim form, unless the particulars of the claim are served separately in accordance with paragraph 5.2 of this practice direction.”

We would also remind you that cpr 31.14 states - a party May inspect a document mentioned in -
                      a) statement of case
                      b) witness statement c) witness summary
                      d) an affidavit

You will have been provided a copy of the contract/terms and conditions at the time the account was opened and hence we so no reason why you now require an additional copy.

Further more the other documents you requested were not mentioned in the particulars of claim - (EXCEPT THEY WERE!)

Furthermore throughout the account you will have received various notices and collection style letter and therefore we do not believe there can be any sensible basis for you to allege that you don’t understand the basis of the claim issued against you.

For the avoidance of doubt, no extension of time is agreed for you to file a defence. “

So in summary it appears they won’t be providing anymore documentation. I guess I can start filling in my defence now?

Comment

I’ve received replies now to the SARS and CPR letter.

SARS was a simple we will get back to you in 30 days but CPR response wasn’t quite so simple -

”we would point out that the claim was issued by the County Court business centre which is a procedure specifically provided for in the CPR. This procedure only allows the claimant to insert brief details of the claim and does not allow for any attachment of any enclosure. Paragraph 5.2A of practice Direction 7E specifically states “the requirement in paragraph 7.3 of practice direction 16 for documents to be attached to the particulars of contract claim does not apply to claims started using an online claim form, unless the particulars of the claim are served separately in accordance with paragraph 5.2 of this practice direction.”

We would also remind you that cpr 31.14 states - a party May inspect a document mentioned in -
                        a) statement of case
                        b) witness statement c) witness summary
                        d) an affidavit

You will have been provided a copy of the contract/terms and conditions at the time the account was opened and hence we so no reason why you now require an additional copy.

Further more the other documents you requested were not mentioned in the particulars of claim - (EXCEPT THEY WERE!)

Furthermore throughout the account you will have received various notices and collection style letter and therefore we do not believe there can be any sensible basis for you to allege that you don’t understand the basis of the claim issued against you.

For the avoidance of doubt, no extension of time is agreed for you to file a defence. “

So in summary it appears they won’t be providing anymore documentation. I guess I can start filling in my defence now?

Well, the CPR thing is a bit of a 'riddle', maybe they are wanting to audition for the next Batman movie.

They are answering questions that haven't been asked, but not answering questions that have been asked.

Exactly right, start working on your Defence, post it up removing all personal details.

Comment

Ok so not as straight forward as I thought but here goes.....

DEFENCE

1.The Defendant received the claim [Claim Number] from the Northampton County Court on 20th April 2022.

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim appears to be for Catalogue Account agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.It is [admitted/denied – NOT SURE WHAT TO ENTER HERE, I DID HAVE AN ACCOUNT BUT THE ADDRESS DETAILS AND AMOUNTS DONT MATCH WITH WHAT I HAD - HOW DO I GENUINELY KNOW IF THIS IS MINE? Only deny opening the account if you genuinely believe you did not open the account, otherwise admit.] that the Defendant has [previously] entered into [an agreement/agreement] with [Original Creditor /Claimant] for provision of credit.

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6.The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim states the agreement was entered into on or about Aug 2001.

Ive deleted item 7 as not SB so amended numbers onwards, hope that’s right

7.The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Next to Debt Managers (services) Ltd on 20 Dec 2019. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

8.It is denied that Next served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

9.On the 22nd April 2022 The Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Restons Solicitor Ltd. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Contract and Notice of Assignment.

10.Restons Solicitors has not sent any of these documents to the Defendant. - “contract” previously sent on request but nothing sent this time - does this matter?

11.On the The Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to [Claimant] pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee. - Previously requested of Next in 2018, then Restons in response to letter before claim x 2 - and different docs received from both parties - do I list that here

What about the SARS request does that get mentioned here?

12.The Claimant has failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

13. The Defendant have asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of the defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have declined.

14.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

15.The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.

16.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

17.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

[I believe][the (claimant or as may be) believes] that the facts stated in this [name document being verified] are true. I understand] [The (claimant or as may be) understands that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.

Comment

Don't do anything with this yet.

a) So you had an account with Next, but don't believe this is the account because of the incorrect address?, so it could belong to someone else. So I believe you need to deny it, because the information does not correspond. But I need to get that checked with an expert, so we know it's the correct way to proceed. Celestine

b) Leave out statute barred.

c) Lets say for example it is your account, they would have to provide a true copy of your original agreement because it was before 2007. That could be why they've sent one with an incorrect address (they've reconstructed it), what does the other one say regards the address?

Read through it to make sure it's correct.

DEFENCE

1.The Defendant received the claim XXXXXXXXXX from the Northampton County Court on 20th April 2022.

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim appears to be for a Catalogue Account agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.It is denied that the Defendant has entered into an agreement with Next for provision of credit.

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6.The Claimant's Particulars of Claim states the agreement was entered into on or about Aug 2001.

7.The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Next to Debt Managers (services) Ltd on 20 Dec 2019. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

8.It is denied that Next served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

9.On the 22nd April 2022 The Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Restons Solicitor Ltd. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement and Notice of Assignment.

10.Restons Solicitors has not sent any of these documents to the Defendant under the Civil Procedures Rules.

11.On XXXXXXXX The Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Debt Managers (Services) Ltd pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

12.The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

13.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

14.The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.

15.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

16.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated in this Defence are true. I understand] that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.

Comment

Thank you.

c) In 2018 Next sent a contract with no address, then a couple of months later sent it again with my current address (not the one at the alleged time of opening). Reston’s have sent two, both with the same previous address but as above not the correct address at time of alleged opening. Reston’s have admitted in their covering letter that this is a reconstituted copy of the original as allowed by Carey vs HSBC bank 2009 and it’s the only copy their client holds. So for an account as older than 2007 are they not allowed to reconstitute an agreement?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X