• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overdales Solicitors - Claim Form Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
    Just subtle changes, I've removed 13 because you haven't asked for an extension to the deadline have you?

DEFENCE
    1.The Defendant received the claim XXXXXXXXXX from the Northampton County Court on 9th February 2022

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim appears to be for 2 x Credit Card agreements regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.It is admitted that the Defendant has previously entered into an agreements with Capital One for provision of credit.

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6.The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.

7.The Claimants statement of case does not state that the account was assigned from Capital One (Europe) to Lowell Portfolio 1.
    The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment prior to the claim being raise.

8.It is denied that Capital One served any Default notices on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notices was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notices relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

9.On the 22/02/2022 The Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Overdales Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreements and Notice of Assignments.

10.Overdales Solicitors has only sent the Notice of assignments for each account.

11.On the 22/02/2022 The Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreements to Lowell Portfolio 1 LTD pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

12.The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

13.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

14.The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.

15.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

16.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.

Signed ________________________________
    Dated ________________________________
    echat11 - Nope not asked for an extension so that makes sense! Thanks for your help with this - Am I right in thinking not only do I need to cut/paste my defence into the MoneyClaim portal I need to email the court and send (with tracking ID) hard copy to Overdales?

Comment

Originally posted by VENOMEXUK View Post

echat11 - Nope not asked for an extension so that makes sense! Thanks for your help with this - Am I right in thinking not only do I need to cut/paste my defence into the MoneyClaim portal I need to email the court and send (with tracking ID) hard copy to Overdales?
      Yes correct on Overdales, it might not go through on MoneyClaim, as there is a character limit of 1000 characters, in which case you can email it to the court, put the Claim Reference Number XXXXXX, Defence and XXXXXX v XXXXXXX in the subject line email it to: ccbcaq@justice.gov.uk

Comment

Yes correct on Overdales, it might not go through on MoneyClaim, as there is a character limit of 1000 characters, in which case you can email it to the court, put the Claim Reference Number XXXXXX, Defence and XXXXXX v XXXXXXX in the subject line email it to: ccbcaq@justice.gov.uk
        Just submitted it on the website - seems to have gone through first time - thanks for all your help with this! Will update when I get a response. Might email the defence as well "just in case" and get this letter off tomorrow first thing to Overdales

Comment

Ok I have had a reply from Overdales:

I have uploaded a copy (With details blanked)

Bit worried about the last part about asking for the defence to be stuck out due to me being in breach of CPR 16.5(2)a as "no reason was given to denying our clients claim" - Half think sabere rattling but still looks not great

Any advice on how to proceed?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by VENOMEXUK; 25th March 2022, 12:16:PM.

Comment

too small

Comment

R IMG_0282 (1).jpgIMG_0281 (1).jpg Reuploaded Larger version

Comment

Ok I have had a reply from Overdales:

I have uploaded a copy (With details blanked)

Bit worried about the last part about asking for the defence to be stuck out due to me being in breach of CPR 16.5(2)a as "no reason was given to denying our clients claim" - Half think sabere rattling but still looks not great

Any advice on how to proceed?
                Read no 14 of your Defence, they need to provide the requested documents. So you can 'fully plead' your case.

Comment

Ok will start on writing a response - I did think it was a bit odd they were trying to push that - will use 14 on my defence as a start

Comment

Ok will start on writing a response - I did think it was a bit odd they were trying to push that - will use 14 on my defence as a start
                    Don't do anything, wait to see what they do. They said they will provide 'the agreements' when they get them.

Comment

Don't do anything, wait to see what they do. They said they will provide 'the agreements' when they get them.

Ah ok will hold fire - was just a bit worried about them trying to stop my defence and the time scale of 7 days they gave but thinking about it just a scare tactic
                      Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Ah ok will hold fire - was just a bit worried about them trying to stop my defence and the time scale of 7 days they gave but thinking about it just a scare tactic
                        Thanks for the advice!
                        Good thing I held fire.....Received a letter yesterday from Overdales with a Directions questionnaire they have submitted to the court to go to mediation - apparently I should also be receving one shortly. Looking at the money claim online site no sign of it being produced yet so just going to wait and see....

Comment

Good thing I held fire.....Received a letter yesterday from Overdales with a Directions questionnaire they have submitted to the court to go to mediation - apparently I should also be receving one shortly. Looking at the money claim online site no sign of it being produced yet so just going to wait and see....
                          When you get your DQ from the Court, if you still haven't received the documents, then state that you want Mediation, but haven't received the documents.

You send a copy of the DQ to the Court and their solicitors, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Comment

Ok bit of an update - Received on Friday the Questionare (which I filled in and returned to the court and Overdales) and noted that at that point had not received a copy of the credit agreement. Today I have had an email with the credit agreement (with my name Printed) on and account number, also a statement from both accounts from 2018 (tho a print out and not on anything headed) - Still awaiting the notices of Default to be sent out - Plan is I think is to still go to mediation tho not sure if I still have a case if they have the agreements.

Comment

Ok bit of an update - Received on Friday the Questionare (which I filled in and returned to the court and Overdales) and noted that at that point had not received a copy of the credit agreement. Today I have had an email with the credit agreement (with my name Printed) on and account number, also a statement from both accounts from 2018 (tho a print out and not on anything headed) - Still awaiting the notices of Default to be sent out - Plan is I think is to still go to mediation tho not sure if I still have a case if they have the agreements.
                              Did you open the accounts online? It depends if the agreements provide all the prescribed information, such as interest rates etc.

Also if the other documents are as they should be, just because they sent them, doesn't make them correct.

Comment

Ok updates.....had a email on Wednesday with the Mediation appointment - have 4 working days to respond so have a day or so to go back to them. Still have not received the copies of the default notices - The documents they have sent seem to be in order so was going to agree to the mediation, however state that this is dependant of reciving the documents by the proposed date (29th June) - is this the correct way to go around it?
                                Last edited by VENOMEXUK; 6th June 2022, 21:46:PM. Reason: Wrong month....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X