• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BW Legal for PRAC - Payday UK Loan - Claim Form Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BW Legal for PRAC - Payday UK Loan - Claim Form Received

Hi all,

Thank you so much so far for all the help I have gleaned from reading your pages (not just in the below matter but others prior to this). This is my first time posting. I have read as much as I can and can't find any particulars that would answer some of my questions below. So please indulge me here and any advice offered will be gratefully received. Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 01/08/2019
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : £600 plus fees/costs, totalling £800
    Claimant’s Name: PRAC Financial Limited
    Solicitors Firm: BW Legal
    Original Creditor: Instant Cash Loans Limited t/a Payday UK
    Original Debt: Loan

Particulars of Claim: The Claimant’s Claim is for the sum of <£500> being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a loan agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 between the Defendant and Instant Cash Loans Limited t/a Payday UK under account reference ******** and assigned to the Claimant on 09/12/2016, notice of which has been given to the Defendant. The Defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with. The claim also includes statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00% per annum (a daily rate of £0.11) from the date of assignment of the agreement to 31/07/2019 being an amount of £106.15.

Is the debt Statute Barred: There has been no contact with the Claimant nor Instant Cash Loans Limited t/a Payday UK. I believe this relates to a loan for which I found a letter listing the ‘Date of Execution’ of the loan as 24/07/2013, with one single payment due on 20/08/2013. Both of these dates fall over 6 years ago from today (30/08/2019) but the latter is 19 days shy of the date of issuance of the County Court Claim.

List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): I sent a CPR 31.14 request to BW Legal on 19/08/2019 (tracked and received 20/08/2019). I used the template on LegalBeagles to draft the letter and requested to see the original agreement, the notice of assignment, and the default notice.

On 21/08/2019 I received a letter from BW Legal appearing to make no mention of the CPR request and stating:

We wrote to you recently to advise that we have issued legal proceedings against you in the form of a County Court Claim on 1 August 2019 under claim under ********.

The Letter also advised that unless we agree a suitable repayment plan with you, or you contactus to provide us with a valid reasons for non-payment, then we would look take our client instruction and enter a County Court Judgement (CCJ) against you.

It’s still not too late
    Whilst the claim has now expired and our client is in a position to enter a CCJ against you, it is still not too late to get in touch with us to discuss the options available to you to prevent a CCJ and to avoid additional legal costs being added to your balance.

Please call us on 0*** *** **** by 11 September 2019 and one of our helpful agents will be able to discuss what options are available to you. (sic)

The letter goes on but only to detail ways one might choose to ‘manage their account online’. The letter contains at least one false statement: the client is not yet in a position to enter a CCJ because I have responded with my acknowledgement of service (AoS) and my defence is not due until 03/09/2019. (I have checked the AoS was received by the court and their representative gave me the defence due date.) Furthermore, it implies the claim has ‘expired’ and that I would have until 11/09/2019 to contact them to avoid court action. Though we know if I did that they could push for summary judgement prior to that date.

I can find myself no copy of the original agreement in my files nor my email accounts. I have other communications from Payday UK and then PRAC and BW Legal, but nowhere do I have a copy of the loan agreement. The earliest record I have is a ‘Personal Loan Annual Statement’ dated 31/10/2016 which is where I found the aforementioned ‘Execution’ date.

I am in possession of three letters of claim, dated 27/10/2017, 31/07/2018, 24/06/2019. The first two were sent to my main address, at which I have lived for many years, am on the Electoral Role, and at which I maintain most of my accounts. The last was sent to a secondary address, to which I have only registered two media utilities and presumably had been found via credit reference agencies as a possible second address for me. There were no Court Claim Forms to follow the first two but the Claim Form was served to the secondary address. I presume this was done in the hope I might not respond and they would achieve a summary judgement.

There are discrepancies from the last letter of claim and the CCBC Claim Form. On the letter of claim, interest is £7.05 out (though admittedly that can be accounted for in the additional days between the two communications), but also the court fee rose £25 from the initial ‘estimate’ as did the cost of legal representation by £20. Is this a moot point, or do these figures need to match?

I’m looking to draft and file my defence this weekend and wondered if anyone had any pointers. Is a statute barred defence possible, or did they sneak that claim form in just in time? How should I respond to the letter mis-advising their success in court and appearing to grant me until 11/09/2019 to resolve the dispute – is that a case for stay of proceedings?

I know that with Payday UK I could go down the route of an affordability complaint. I have been contacted by lawyers acting on behalf of the original lender to notify me that I had been identified as a potential claimant against them for their past financial malpractices. I know that I was in 2013 in a cycle of borrowing to pay these loans, then borrowing again to live, etc. However, it does seem like a lot of administration to put in such a complaint and really at this point I’m not interested in compensation, I just want to move on and forget about them.

Dave

Tags: None

Originally posted by brill_dave;n
    [FONT=quot
    I’m looking to draft and file my defence this weekend and wondered if anyone had any pointers. Is a statute barred defence possible, or did they sneak that claim form in just in time? How should I respond to the letter mis-advising their success in court and appearing to grant me until 11/09/2019 to resolve the dispute – is that a case for stay of proceedings?[/FONT]
    No the debt won't be statute barred, the clock runs from the date of default or last payment which ever is the latter. The payment due date would not be the date they registered a default, the debt probably still appears on your credit file where you would find the date of default.

There's no grounds to stay the claim, you will just need to file your defence. Unfortunately those kind of underhand tactics are designed to catch people out who don't file thinking the matter is on hold and then they apply for summary judgement. In most cases a defendant having gotten into this financial position in the first place then wouldn't have £255 to apply to set the judgement aside, so end up paying.

Your defence deadline is Tuesday at 4pm, so you need to get moving with that defence, assuming they haven't sent anything in response to your CPR31.14 and CCA requestsuse the Example Defence.

COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you so much JaguarsUK! Your response was helpful to clarify my position and for me to then form my defence. I used the example and modified it to fit my precise circumstances. I'll update on outcome with any relevant information as necessary. The forms are on their way back to the court and shall be there in good time.

Worst-case scenario: I also have funds set aside to pay the full balance if judgement is successful.

Comment

You can negotiate settlement right up to the minute before you walk in to the court room. You should get the chance to have mediation first and you can always make an offer of less than the full amount up to the hearing.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Legally PRAC probably (almost certainly) do not own the debt at all.

I would defend it all the way because there will be no assignment notice from Payday UK Ltd to Instant Cash Loans Ltd.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X