• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Solicitor Court Claim for EDF’s alleged debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Particulars of claim:
    Defendant entered into supply and seevice agreement with edf under account 73637

2. Agreement later ended but liability remained outstanding for payment

3. Agreement was later assigned to claimenat on October 2017 and notice given to defendant

4. Despite several request the same of £1500 remained unpaid

5. And the claimant claims

a) the sum of £1500

b) interest

c) cost

Comment

1. It is denied, for the reasons set out in this Defence, that the Claimant is entitled to the sums alleged or at all.

2. The Defendant is a tenant of the property [full address & postcode] pursuant to a tenancy agreement between the Defendant and [name of landlord] (the "Landlord") dated [insert date]. At all material times, it was an express term of the agreement that the Defendant agreed to pay to the Landlord the sum of [insert amount] which was inclusive of rent and all other costs including utilities.

3. In the circumstances, the Defendant could not, and did not, enter into an agreement with EDF for the supply of service and the Claimant is put to strict proof thereof. Further and alternatively, the Defendant contends that the Landlord notified EDF without the knowledge and consent of the Defendant, that the supply of service should be in the Defendant's name, contrary to the terms tenancy agreement.

4. Further to the above, the Defendant has made repeated requests for documentation as evidence that the Defendant had agreed to enter into a contract with EDF. Despite such requests, no such evidence has been forthcoming and it is the Defendant's contention that the Claimant has deliberately ignored those requests in favour of pursuing a course of commencing legal proceedings. By wilfully ignoring the Defendant's request for information and continuing its action without investigation, the Claimant has pursued a course of conduct that is wholly unjustified and amounts to harassment.

5. As to the Claimant's allegation that a notice of assignment was served on the Defendant, it is denied that said notice was ever given and the Claimant is required to prove that the notice was validly served.

6. For these reasons, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to relief as claimed or at all.

----------------------

There you go, you might need to tweak or amend as necessary. I've inserted the reference to harassment to beef up your argument that Lowell are deliberately pursuing without investigating your claims. That leaves open the possibility of you counterclaiming for harassment if you so wish and there's recent case law suggesting that unjustified threats or legal action and/or claims could amount to harassment.

Of course if you want to counterclaim then you will need to pay for it. If I recall it's £25 for anything up to £300 compensation.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I really appreciate your input - heads off to you.... I have now submitted my defense with little amendment.

Comment

similar to British gas took things for granted when I moved in bought property, they even recorded events on credit report even so I was with another company, and previous owner had died 18 months before and was in a home before that, they tend to take things for granted, =

Comment

Respected rob and MIKE770 rob

I have now received a letter from Lowell which says they have submitted to court for mediation.
            what should i do now? Should click on yes for mediation or should i go to court

Comment

rob i am highly in need of your valuable input

Comment

Tick yes to mediation - you can always decline later and you're under no obligation to agree anything but it is better to show willing. However if you've received a copy of the N180 from Lowell and not from the court you should wait for the court to ask you to file & serve the directions questionnaire because Lowell often send theirs without having submitted it to the court.

When tagging R0b he has a zero rather than an o in his username ... he's not just ignoring you xxx
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Nothing further to add than what Amethyst has already said.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X