• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court Claim From Restons ( Advice Needed Please )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Court Claim From Restons ( Advice Needed Please )

I received a CCJ claim yesterday from Restons Solicitors on behalf of debt managers Services LTd.

It's apparantley for a Next directory account back in 2009 or around 2009 as they say.

It's only for £56 but they have now added £50 legal cost and £25 admin fees, so it's now a total of £133

Now I have a few concerns here and would be very grateful if someone could advise me.

Firstly, There is a default on my credit file from next which was recorded about 5 years ago, however I actually thought I payed this original £56 of in three installments some years ago to another debt company. I can't remember who it was so I suppose that's an non issue here and I need to act as though it wasnt. Also I may be wrong.

So I have acknowledged the claim online.

I have sent cca request to claiment and CPR request to solicitors

When do I fill out my defence? Do I wait until they send me the information I requested or do i do it now or next few days.

I have to concerns, one is I thought I had payed it before, but no proof, the other is that I want to be certain that they have the right to chase me up on this debt.

I dont want a ccj on my credit file as my score is slowly improving.

I know it's only a small amount but it's still a lot of money to me.

So, what happens next?

I would really appreciate some advice please.

Thankyou

Billy

Tags: None

Hi Billy

Welcome and you have done the first few steps correctly.

Originally posted by bluepip77 View Post
    When do I fill out my defence? Do I wait until they send me the information I requested or do i do it now or next few days.
    You have 33 days from the date on the claim form to file a Defence, so use the Check dates to figure out your deadline.

I have to concerns, one is I thought I had payed it before, but no proof, the other is that I want to be certain that they have the right to chase me up on this debt.
    Send a Subject Access Request Letter to the bank you were banking with at the time asking for statements of your accounts for the period you think you made the payments.

I dont want a ccj on my credit file as my score is slowly improving.

I know it's only a small amount but it's still a lot of money to me.

So, what happens next?
    Next you file a defence, then you will have the opportunity to take part in mediation which if you come to an agreement is legally binding and not a CCJ.

Right up to a hearing you can negotiate to settle, but in any correspondence please make sure you head it "Without Prejudice."

You'll get support right along the way here, so just update this thread when you receive responses.

It would be useful to know what you asked for in the CPR 31.14?
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks for the reply JaguarUK - really appreciate your help!

So I file my defence in say 16 days from today which is within the time frame allowed.

What do I put in my defence, is it different if they reply back with the documents I requested? Do I even file a defence then?

Also, with regards to mediation, then will I have to pay the full amount of £133 or can I get the costs and legal fees wiped and just pay the original debt? And can mediation arrange for payments over a few months to make it more managable.

Thanks again

Comment

What do I put in my defence, is it different if they reply back with the documents I requested? Do I even file a defence then?

Also, with regards to mediation, then will I have to pay the full amount of £133 or can I get the costs and legal fees wiped and just pay the original debt? And can mediation arrange for payments over a few months to make it more managable.

Thanks again
        There is an Example Defence if they don't respond, but yes it will be different if they do.

Mediation is a negotiation, so anything is possible and it's just up to the parties to agree.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks again.
            Dont forget to weigh up the costs of defending this claim.

I always send docs recorded/signed for or special delivery (for obvious reasons) so if you did the same the postage costs alone can easily amount to £40-£50.

Comment

Originally posted by GBExile View Post

Dont forget to weigh up the costs of defending this claim.

I always send docs recorded/signed for or special delivery (for obvious reasons) so if you did the same the postage costs alone can easily amount to £40-£50.
              Although the only requirement of service is by the methods detailed in CPR 6.3: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...les/part06#6.3

Comment

so many arguments from companies when we cannot show signatures of receipt in the past, proof of posting is not proof of receipt, so the extra 75p+ approx Recorded Delivery cheapest signed for is a must and copy kept, otherwise special delivery is expensive alternative

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                  so many arguments from companies when we cannot show signatures of receipt in the past, proof of posting is not proof of receipt, so the extra 75p+ approx Recorded Delivery cheapest signed for is a must and copy kept, otherwise special delivery is expensive alternative
                  I have sent documents to the court before by signed for delivery. Due to the time lags in their processing systems they have then issued warnings to me & issued further instructions because of the time lag even though I know & can prove they have received the documents in time. So I have had to resend to make sure I was covered by the further order/instructions & to advise the court I have already submitted within the time frames.

As they have basically told me I did not submit in time they therefor have told the claimant the same.

I have & will continue to send special or signed for post to ensure I can provide proof of receipt by the court & the claimant.

Too much can go wrong with claims of non receipt. Just pointing out that defending a claim has its costs too.

Obviously this is without the costs of fuel & parking & the additional hearing fee & the loss of a days holiday (if you currently work) that must be added should it actually go to court.

I have to say though, it would be interesting to see if they can actually supply the requested documents or not
                  Last edited by GBExile; 13th June 2018, 15:31:PM.

Comment

Hi all.

I have an update.

I submitted defence 2 days ago and yesterday I got a letter from Restons ( still nothing back from claimant)

Basically the letter says that they acknowledge request for CPR 31.14

They say the procedure only allows the claimant to submit brief details of the claim

They also say that I would of been provided a copy of terms/ contract at time account was opened and hence they see no reason they see no reason why I need another copy

They then say the particular of claim contains sufficient information for me to understand what claim relates to

and then that I should of received various notice letters and collection letters relating to the account and that they see no sensible basis for me to allege that I don’t understand the basis of claim against me

They end saying that they have placed file on hold while my request for consumer credit act request is complied with

can an someone advise me on this please?

Billy

Comment

usual letter do not fret , read same threads same old song, they are right but it will be noted in a defence that request under cpr31.14 etc requested and the theyb refuse, they will have to as request later in proceedings will force their hand????

Comment

Hi all.

I have an update.

I submitted defence 2 days ago and yesterday I got a letter from Restons ( still nothing back from claimant)

Basically the letter says that they acknowledge request for CPR 31.14

They say the procedure only allows the claimant to submit brief details of the claim

They also say that I would of been provided a copy of terms/ contract at time account was opened and hence they see no reason they see no reason why I need another copy
                        Excellent, they need to provide these to succeed in their claim and them not providing them signals they may not have them.

They then say the particular of claim contains sufficient information for me to understand what claim relates to

and then that I should of received various notice letters and collection letters relating to the account and that they see no sensible basis for me to allege that I don’t understand the basis of claim against me
                        Whether you did or not they are obligated in CPR Part 31 to comply with the letter, so this is just nonsense in the hope of scaring you that you can't win and pay up.

They end saying that they have placed file on hold while my request for consumer credit act request is complied with

can an someone advise me on this please?

Billy
                        Did you send the SAR to the bank as I suggested in post #2?

Comment

They may just not respond to your defence and the claim will be placed on hold in the court system until they locate the documents.
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Excellent, they need to provide these to succeed in their claim and them not providing them signals they may not have them.

Whether you did or not they are obligated in CPR Part 31 to comply with the letter, so this is just nonsense in the hope of scaring you that you can't win and pay up.

Did you send the SAR to the bank as I suggested in post #2?
                            Hi Jaguar

Thanks again for the reply.

No I didn't send the SAR - Is there a charge for me to do this?

Do i now just wait for them to reply to me again?

Comment

no charge these days for SAR Subject Access Request Letter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X