• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it possible to concede and come to a separate agreement?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it possible to concede and come to a separate agreement?

    After receiving a CCJ for an unpaid credit debt, I responded with all the advice given in this forum, namely asking for evidence to be provided. The claimant failed to provide this in the given time, but now that I have been given a date to appear in court, they have provided this evidence. Looking at their witness statement and response to my defense, it doesn't look like I'll be winning this.

    My questions are;
    1. At this point, is it too late for me to come to a repayment plan agreement with them? I know this will be the outcome anyway, but it would save me having to take time off work to go to court.
    2. Would it be a sensible idea to call them or would this weaken my claim if I can't back out?
    3. Can the hearing even be cancelled at this point?
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Is it possible to concede and come to a separate agreement?

    Simply put: Yes

    The court encourages that the parties should seek to resolve a matter right up to and including the day of court. If you wish to make an offer of settlement you may write to the claimant (I wouldn't phone as you want to keep things written down) and make your offer, just title the letter "Without Prejudice Save As To Costs."

    It may be worth you posting copies of everything up here with all your personal info removed before you admit defeat though?

    My posts on this forum are offered based on my experience dealing with a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training and if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB. If you follow anything I write on this forum you do so at your own risk and I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

    I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.


    • #3
      Re: Is it possible to concede and come to a separate agreement?

      I think I'll pass. They definitely have all the evidence they need so I'd rather just avoid going to court.

      Thanks for the advice though


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


      1 of 2 < >


      Pre-Action Letters
      First Steps
      Check dates
      Acknowledge Claim
      CCA Request
      CPR 31.14 Request
      Subject Access Request Letter
      Example Defence
      Set Aside Application
      Witness Statements
      Directions Questionnaire

      If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

      NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
      Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

      Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

      If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

      We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
      If your case is over £10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
      2 of 2 < >

      Need Formal Help?

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm

      See more
      See less

      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm