• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims Court - Rougue Builder / Drive Guy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does his business website say about who operates the business - what name is given? Does it mention a limited company?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Its just a standard type website really - doesnt say any names who operates it as far as I can see just his contact number (the one I have been using for correspondence) email address and the contact us page is a submit a form type if you know what I mean. Theres his facebook link on there and that also still links to photos of good parts of the job hes done for us (cheeky git Comanies house he is named as the Director.....but I have noticed this
      Accounts for a dormant company made up to 31 July 2022 - no idea what that means so perhaps I should claim against the person and not the company???? Not sure really

Actually just checked the assets they claim to have and its filed as just £100 - what a nightmare this is

Comment

From what you say, you may* be ok suing the individual.

*may is not a guarantee!
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi all - well Ive waited and waited until now - he texted me before Christmas out of the blue to say he was comming to do the drive - the weather then changed and he didnt come of course. I found it odd though as why would he txt totally out of the blue if he wasnt going to come you know??

So Ive given him the benefit of the doubt and plenty of time and last week when the weather was great I asked what the plan was and its gone quiet again so Ive had enough now - we are still on rubble outside (a month earlier he said he was waiting for the weather to change and they would be back)

So this week im starting my claim. I have a feeling hes been moving funds or something just to say he cant pay or something like that if I do win you know.

Im scared Im gonna lose but we have definately been wronged. I think the angle he will try and go for is that Ive changed the job by taking a bit of wall down (which I have reinstated) and hes since agreed after the wall was put back up to come and sort the drive out but either way I think that he will use that as a get out clause. But Im still not put off by this. He has ripped my family off, lied for over a year and just left us. Its just wrong and they shouldnt be allowed to get away with it

My question really is the claim process. Im hoping to call citizens advice tommorrow as well but on the forms to the court do you explain the saga step by step with dates/ times etc.

Now not sure on this next angle.....ive purhcased a domain to highlight my experiences of this builder. I havent had the time to build and publish anything yet but I was possibly just going to state the facts on there too - not slag anyone off at all but to just highlight what hes done and let people make their own mind up??? Is that a bad idea legally guys?? Thats how strong I feel about this. He shouldnt be allowed to rob us of £7K scott free thats for sure

Im also not asking for anything more than we paid him....I dont care about interest I just want all of our money back despite what hes put us through....Even if I win I doubt we will see that money again though

Comment

Hi,

Lodging a small claim is fairly straightforward. Have you sent a Letter Of Claim yet?

Comment

No all I have done is two letter before actions which were sent last year and then we have been back and forth between each other via txt - waiting on weather on the assumption hes comming back to do the job like he said he would etc. Ive been made a fool of I know - he was never intending to come back......I was just going to start the small claims action now as Ive wasted enough time

I also downloaded that PDF in atticus profile above which Im going to take a read of too

Comment

Letter Of Claim and letter before action are the same.
                I'd suggest sending a new letter of claim and moving from there.

Comment

Argh OK - its typical and I predicted last week this would happen to my parents - hes replied today saying hes been ill all week, His boys are off on holiday for the next fortnight so that means theres another 2 weeks delay essentially for us. I dont believe a word of it but he ends it by saying once they come back he will be straight up to me to get us finished.....so do I wait (which again depends on the weather then - too hot probably or some other excuse) or just get the ball rolling again - Im stuck - I have a feeling he will keep doing this and will blame me for calling the job off or going to the courts you know

Comment

It is up to you, and you will need to make that call

However you need to look at the timeframe. It seems you have been dragged on for a while, so you must consider when enough is enough.

Addtionally as this letter requires 14 days of notice before you can issue proceedings (if he is a registered business) or 30 if he is an individual, then if he was to fix it within the two week period then you wouldn't actually incurr any further costs aside from sending your letter of claim, which would be the cost of sending a stamp

Comment

Thanks - yeh Ive been kept hanging on again on promises he will come the weather is good and then there is excuse after excuse and now no response.so yeh enough is enough now - as I said before I paid the individual into his personal bank account so Im not sure who to take to court the business or the individual. I had a look at companies house a while back and it didnt look like there was any money in the buisness. So I assume I take action against the individual so will send another letter giving him 30 days and then start the proceedings properly - Im determined to take to court - its just wrong.

When it comes to submitting the claim do I go through the whole saga. Like the way he lied to me about an additive being added to the concrete and him taking the concrete company to court. I have proof from the concrete company that was all a pack of lies you see. Should I keep that back for court proceedings

Comment

Please read CRA section 49 and guidance notes regarding a service provider's legal duty to provide reasonable care and skill
                        Also S52 the service to be provided in a reasonable time
                        Your PoC should be in concise consecutively numbered paragraphs referring to clauses in S49 and S52 that the contractor breached. State briefly how the contractor breached those clauses.
                        S54 covers the remedies available to the consumer. You need to select which remedy you want and state this in your claim

Save the lengthy detail of what happened, what was written and said etc for your witness statement which will be required nearer the hearing date
                        Last edited by Pezza54; 4th June 2024, 18:04:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X