• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims Court - Rougue Builder / Drive Guy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thats part of the problem - i have had quotes of £8K to redoo it but nothing in writing - that was to dig up and redoo the concrete drive.

To be honest Ive gone off the idea of a concrete drive really because of the risk of it going wrong again and losing another 8K so I do have quotes to redoo the drive in concrete pavours - the reason being the pavors would be my asset then so less risk if you know what I mean. However for the court case that wont be suitable so I will then have to get like for like quotes in writing which Ill try and do before raising the case in court

Yeh taken photos and camera stills while I was on holiday too, and followed up when come back off holiday - I keep chasing and chasing all the time - it has no effect
    I have everything documented essentially though

Will try and get quotes asap - thanks

Comment

3 quotes and go to court. stop taking so much time. chop chop

Comment

Originally posted by JK2054 View Post
        3 quotes and go to court. stop taking so much time. chop chop
        I know !!! Just a quick one - ive exhausted the drive guy close to me so getting indictive quotes via txt message from companies further away without telling them where I live. I have two guestimates so far - just one more will suffice do you think.

Comment

they need to be proper quote IMO

Comment

Thats a nightmare then becasue all I can get is people telling me £100 a square meter for example via a text message - theres absolutely no way these guys will provide a written quote. Is that the end of the matter then if I cant get proper quotes do you think? Or can I just get my money back? - I dont care at this point really even if it costs me more to redoo it all.. getting just my money back we would be more than happy with.....thats If we win of course

Do I have to take off value in the work he has done for example....ie maybe 6 tonnes of hardcore. 7 Aco Drains, digging a soakaway etc

However I still have costs to incur in digging up the drive that he has left aswell - or is that all for the courts to decide do you think
            Last edited by kiteboy; 16th August 2024, 15:32:PM.

Comment

you can claim damages pursuan to 57(4) if the work is done badly. if its quite clear with photographs etc that he did a bad job, then thats that.

However, you need proper quotes for replacement. Builders should be able to draft proper looking quotes, even if they are just estimates.

Comment

CRA 56 (1), (2), and 3(b)

Comment

that only applies if the cost to repair the problem is less. If it costs him more he claims damages.

Comment

Kiteboy Have you tried to get a quote through one of the online sites kike My builder checkertrade who invite builders to quote for work dont tell them its was done by someone you got tell them you just moved in try it

Comment

OP may be able to obtain an online quote from Cedarscape in Derby for pattern imprinted concrete paving. Approximate area required and photos can be uploaded

Comment

Im having real trouble getting responses to be honest nevermind real quotes ....you can see im trying via numerous whatsapps messages Im sending different people. I send them photos to give them an idea and most of the time it then goes quiet. Ive also had a local guy come out and he give me a verbal quote no problem like and thats what most of them are like.......checkatrade theres none local to me on there - Ive havnt tried extending to further out companies so thats worth a try maybe. Is another option (at my cost again) to get a RCS Quanity Surveyor out to estimate the costs of redooing? Not sure how much they are to get out so will explore that tommorrow but in the meantime Ill try checkatrade with companies further away from me.....if they ask where I live though Im screwed cos they are unlikely to quote at all then see cos Im too far away for them to bother

Comment

If distance from the company to your property is a problem, you could ask for an extra over price per day (kept separate) for travel costs or overnight accommodation
                          If you end up going down the surveyor's report route, a RICS qualified building surveyor should be able to produce a report detailing the defects with the work done, the work required to complete the job and an estimate

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                            Kiteboy Have you tried to get a quote through one of the online sites kike My builder checkertrade who invite builders to quote for work dont tell them its was done by someone you got tell them you just moved in try it
                            well thought of very good suggestion

Comment

Ive tried exactly that on mybuilder now - tried checkatrade yesterday with no responses so far see how that goes - thanks everyone. Ill try and find further away people and add the costs on for staying over and travel costsing too

Well I have tried loads of companies now - some are interested but they call me up to tell me the price over the phone!! Ive tried replying to them via whatsapp ie thanks for the quote of £9000 but does that include travel and expenses and despite me saying can you reply via whatspp - they still try and phone me despite me saying Im on a teams call in work . others wont quote without seeing in person and obviously that will be a face to face quote then and I dont want to waste their time of traveling here 30mins each way too.....Im gonna see what the RCS route costs as Im not getting anywhere really....all depends what a RCS survey costs now really and if its worth doing
                              Last edited by kiteboy; 19th August 2024, 15:45:PM.

Comment

well its not really a waste because one of them will need to fix it...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X