• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Train fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train fine

Hi I boarded a train from Seaforth to Bootle. I didn't have the time to buy a ticket as the train was ready to depart. I know I should of waited for the next train and purchased a ticket. I was in the wrong and I got a £20 fine. A few days later I received a s21 eviction notice(no fault of my own) and as a recovering alcoholic I hit the bottle. So I didn't pay the £20 and received a summons. Now fast forward 3 months I received a summons. The witness statement from the Merseyrail inspector is complete lies. It says I'm 5 foot 9 and I have grey hair and that I boarded Waterloo. I'm 6 foot blond hair and boarded at Seaforth ( how can he get this mixed up). This is perjury he has signed a witness statement thats full of lies. What can I do about this? I'm in ill health as well. I've got kidney diease, moderate enseymphna and suffer from servere anixety also a alcoholic. Please don't judge me about my drinking as yous don't know why I started.
    Hide quoted text
    Tags: None

Are you able to go to court and explain?

Comment

Hi ToughGuyMick

I would write to Merseyrail, tell them everything in the Witness Statement is incorrect, from description of you to what happened, advise them because it is incorrect, they would be wasting the Courts time.

Mark the letter 'Without Prejudice', offer to pay the £20. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Comment

I am sorry to hear about the difficult situation you are in. It sounds like you have been through a lot and I understand why you may have felt overwhelmed and resorted to drinking.

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for people to make false statements in witness statements. It is possible that the Merseyrail inspector may have made a mistake or may have deliberately lied in his statement. In either case, it is important to challenge the statement and to provide evidence to support your version of events.

If you believe that the witness statement is false, you should contact a lawyer to discuss your options. A lawyer can help you to challenge the statement and to provide evidence to support your version of events. They can also help you to understand your legal rights and to determine the best course of action.

In addition, if you are in ill health, you may be able to apply for legal aid to help cover the costs of legal representation. You can find out more about legal aid and how to apply on the government website.

Finally, it is important to remember that you are not alone. There are many organisations that can provide support and advice to people in your situation. You can find out more about these organisations on the NHS website.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

As someone who (many moons ago now) worked on the railway in a role that involved 'Revenue Protection' from my experience it is unlikely that the inspector is deliberately lying and more likely that he's confused due to the amount of penalty notices issued.

Unfortunately those inspectors hear ' the train was about to leave and I didn't have time to buy a ticket' more times than they eat hot meals, so you were always unlikely to be preaching to a sympathetic ear.

Prosecutions of this type are private prosecutions, meaning that the train company is paying to bring it to court and not the Crown. If I were you I would write to the revenue protection team via Enforcement@merseyrail.org and explain to them that the witness statement for the case is not correct telling them what you have told us about the description.

Go on further to explain, as you have to us, the issues you have faced in your life since the issuance of the notice to current date as the reason you did not pay the fine and ask that they might consider dropping the prosecution, then advise you how you might pay the fine now.

I know from my experience working in a similar role that they are more likely to show mercy than continue the prosecution, purely because they can't win if the witness says you are '5 foot 9 and I have grey hair' and then you show up at court '6 foot blond hair.'

The key is though, if they do agree to dropping the prosecution and payment of the fine is that you must pay the fine. I know as someone dealing with addiction it will be very difficult, but you will only get mercy once if they do show it and if they have to bring it to court a second time a fine accompanied by a criminal record if they win in court will not improve the situation you are in.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on with MerseyRail.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X