• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to claim LiP costs in small claims where Claimants case is struck out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costs pursuant to discontinuance aren't claimable in small claims track (CPR 38.6 (3) )

I won't be surprised to find the court order for costs to be payable by claimant following failure to pay hearing fee was made in error, and that OP will not be successful in recovering costs.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Costs pursuant to discontinuance aren't claimable in small claims track (CPR 38.6 (3) )

I won't be surprised to find the court order for costs to be payable by claimant following failure to pay hearing fee was made in error, and that OP will not be successful in recovering costs.
      I agree that I don't think they'll get their costs, they might have if it had gone to a hearing under rule 27.14 if there has been poor conduct in the claim by the Claimant.

They could try their hand with a letter to the claimant in an attempt to scare them into paying something, but if it were me I wouldn't risk the £275.

What I can guarantee is a judge will say apply and pay the fee if they write to the court.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

...and having applied and paid the fee costs will be refused.

At least they were in a case I assisted in where a sole trader was pursued by a software company for monies he did not owe.
        The claimant discontinued the day before the hearing and costs were refused on application

Comment

Not just poor conduct ... it has to be unreasonable

Comment

I called the Court, they told me they didn't bring my letter to judge and N260 to Judges attention, and they have done it today.

They weren't sure if the judge would consider it as the claim is discontinued

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonands View Post
              I called the Court, they told me they didn't bring my letter to judge and N260 to Judges attention, and they have done it today.

They weren't sure if the judge would consider it as the claim is discontinued
              The judge will say tell them to apply and pay the fee.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

The judge will say tell them to apply and pay the fee.
                I don't think its right because the Court staff/Judge who allowed the claim to be discontinued is contradicting the Order made by another judge that the claim should already be struck out "without further Order", and "Unless the Court orders otherwise", the claimant will be liable for my costs which I have incurred.

The Court have not ordered otherwise, but the Court have just discontinued the claim.

I think I will make a complaint to the Court as it seems they are not aware that the Claimant didn't pay the trial fee, when the Court made the decision to allow the claim to be discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonands View Post

I don't think its right because the Court staff/Judge who allowed the claim to be discontinued is contradicting the Order made by another judge that the claim should already be struck out "without further Order", and "Unless the Court orders otherwise", the claimant will be liable for my costs which I have incurred.

The Court have not ordered otherwise, but the Court have just discontinued the claim.

I think I will make a complaint to the Court as it seems they are not aware that the Claimant didn't pay the trial fee, when the Court made the decision to allow the claim to be discontinued.
                  Expect them to tell you to apply to the court and pay the appropriate fee.

Comment

Yes they told me to file an application..
                    Last edited by Jasonands; 19th March 2022, 09:50:AM.

Comment

Yes they told me to file an application..
                      Last edited by Jasonands; 19th March 2022, 09:50:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X