• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cross Border small claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current limit is Euros 5,000

Comment

Back again. I've been able to look through some of the info available, not all of it as there's a lot to read. But this is what I think so far, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can apply for a European mone order, or enter proceedings through the UK Courts as long as I use the correct form, which makes it clear it's a cross border claim. I believe the forms can be sent to my nearest County Court. I can claim that is the correct jurisdiction as the claimant (me) is a UK citizen. Any Order made is enforceable in member states, although I'm guessing at that point, any Order would need to be translated, should I need to go down that route. I'm also guessing that if I need to instruct bailiffs, at that point, I'd be dealing with a French Court.

How am I doing so far?

Comment

OK so far!
        Once you have obtained a judgment in your favour, that judgment will be recognised in every EU country. It can only be refused in highly exceptional cases.
        However, to enforce it in any EU country, you must ask the court in the country where you seek enforcement to issue a declaration of enforceability.
        This will require the judgement being translated.
        Once you have this declaration, you must then use the enforcement mechanisms of the EU country where you seek enforcement.

Comment

OK, now the million dollar question. How will Brexit, when/if it happens, affect this. Or us that an unknown quantity?

Comment

Ask Nigel Farage

Comment

Now there's an idea!

Thanks for your all your help, I feel more confident in pursuing the matter now.

Comment

Out of interest, getting judgment is one thing. Enforcement is quite another. How does that work? Will FRENCH bailiffs be needed?

Comment

There you go: https://iclg.com/practice-areas/enfo...lations/france

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                    I suggest reading para 2.6. I wonder who pays for all that?

Comment

guess

Comment

Tinkerbell has not confirmed that there is the risk the money owed may be considered as a 'gift' hence the EPO should suffice rather than small claims procedure as it is concerning a money payment only:

https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_...dures-41-en.do

https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_...en.do?clang=en

Followed by:

https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_...order-54-en.do

The enforceable judgement has to be obtained according to the European Enforcement Order in the Member State of origin.
                        Last edited by JCE; 23rd September 2019, 23:29:PM.

Comment

That page describes the England & Wales domestic civil court arrangements for obtaining a default judgement, and enforcing it.
                          It does not cover cross border small claim procedure, nor enforcement procedure when judgement won

Comment

----
                            Last edited by JCE; 23rd September 2019, 23:30:PM.

Comment

I have a written request from the debtor asking me to lend money, although I ended up transferring less than requested, as it was all I could manage. Would that be sufficient to prove it wasn't a 'gift'?

Comment

Probably/possibly..... presumably there was some sort of correspondence besides the request.
                                In the end it will come down to what the judge thinks if he disputes your claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X