• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cross Border small claim

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cross Border small claim

    Good afternoon
    Has anybody used the Cross border small claims procedure? Is it relatively easy? I'm a bit concerned about the language issue?
    Tags: None

  • #2


    • #3
      That'll be a 'no' then


      • #4
        Well it seems no one has first hand knowledge of the language issue.
        I understand you have to issue Form A in the language of the court with jurisdiction and this also applies to the description of the supporting documents. Care has to be taken to select the appropriate language in those Member States where there are several ‘official’ languages. Some Member States are also prepared to accept claims in a language other than an ‘official’ language .

        What exactly is the problem you anticipate?


        • #5
          Thank you for your response Des8, and am sorry for the delay in responding further.
          I had looked on the Gov website, and although it was a little helpful, I still found myself wondering. For example, I understand that documents have to be lodged with the relevant state's Court, but I didn't find out how you find out the relevant Court and address, nor how to make payment in the relevant euros. The language issue is a big barrier and I'm struggling to believe there isn't a simple solution - not all of us speak a second language, and in order to understand official forms, etc. one would need to be fluent. These problems seem to dissuade people like me, from using a service that was put in place to make cross border claims easier. I'm a little flummoxed.


          • #6
            perhaps if you can post a little about your case we can point you in the right direction.
            in the meantime have you looked at the Form A .. Claim form


            • #7
              Thanks again Des8. I found form a as an annexe, on the European Justice site, but that seems limited on when it can be used, ie, the codes for why money is owed is limited to business services.

              In brief, I am owed approx £3,000 by a British individual who resides in France, it is a family member. I have proof that the money was requested, and proof that it was transferred to their account. It's that simple really. Requests for the money to be repaid are being ignored.

              I believe they are of the opinion that there is nothing I can do about it. I don't believe they will argue that it isn't owed, but I might be wrong. However, I have noted that the form does allow for the claim to be transferred to a Court if necessary.

              I haven't yet found where I can actually download a form in the relevant language, which I assume will be exactly the same as it is in English.


              • #8
                If there has been an admission of debt you should use the procedure for the European Order for Payment (‘EOP’)
                Are you sure it won't be defended as a gift?

                as an individual proceeding against another individual for simple non consumer related debt I think you might be able to start the procedure in a uk county court.
                On form A sec 4 .8 you could specify "domicile of Claimant" and start claim in UK
                If that's wrong the court will reject the claim and return it to you


                • #9
                  Thanks again Des8. The person in question is resident in France, and has been for many years. There is no UK address for them, thus I believe I have to use the Cross border court system. If there was a way to use UK courts, I'd be OK.

                  Equally, I have to get my documebts/evidence translated too, don't I?


                  • #10
                    You complete the form in English as you submit it to a UK court

                    If you Google "Your guide to the European Small Claims Court" the fourth one down will give you a (I think) brilliant guide to the procedure.

                    When filling in the form A sec 4 .8 you could specify "domicile of Claimant"


                    • #11
                      Thanks Des8, I hope to find some time this weekend to sit at the PC and look again. I'll return here once I have.


                      • #12
                        Have read the document suggested, it seems claims made in this manner are limited to €2,000. I am owed €3,000 plus £365, which I think is currently around €420, so well over the €2,000 limit. Back to the drawing board...


                        • #13
                          Is this the same thing?
                          European e-Justice Portal - Small claims


                          • #14
                            Yes...the guide is out of date regarding claim limit!


                            • #15
                              OK, a little confused though: has the limit been reduced to €2,000 or is that the out of date guide?


                              View our Terms and Conditions

                              LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

                              If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

                              If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


                              1 of 2 < >


                              Pre-Action Letters
                              First Steps
                              Check dates
                              Acknowledge Claim
                              CCA Request
                              CPR 31.14 Request
                              Subject Access Request Letter
                              Example Defence
                              Set Aside Application
                              Witness Statements
                              Directions Questionnaire
                              Statute Barred Letter

                              If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

                              NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
                              Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

                              Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

                              If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

                              We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
                              If your case is over �10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
                              2 of 2 < >

                              Need Formal Help?

                              Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

                              Find a Law Firm

                              See more
                              See less

                              Court Claim ?

                              Guides and Letters

                              Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

                              Find a Law Firm