• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

*URGENT* terminology/court dismissal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *URGENT* terminology/court dismissal

I went to court yesterday as the defendant of a claim to do with training costs from a previous employer. However, within 5 minutes of being in the court room (it was a small claims court) it was dismissed by the judge due to the claimant's company name being incorrect. They mentioned that it was incorrect on the claim form and also on my contract compared to what the claimant was saying.

My first question is this, if the case was dismissed by the judge for that reason, could the claimant take me to court again for the same claim if it has already been dismissed once?

My second question is that whilst in the court room the judge mentioned a term that I unfortunately have forgotten. It started with either 'Restraint' or 'Restrictive' (i know it wasn't restrictive covenant'). It was to do with the fact that the contract stated that I had to work for the employer for 3 years before the cost of training decreased 25% every three months otherwise i had to pay back the full cost if i left before the 3years - they said there was a term and it is now known to be extremely unlawful to have someone tied down to that amount of years. They said this is due to if the employee knew that they had to pay back a certain sum and wasn't on a high income they could feel forced to stay in employment for that employer. For this reason, apparently not many employers will have a training contract for as long as 3 years.

If you would like me to elaborate further I am more than happy to. I apologise if I have not explained it in the best way.
    Tags: None

1. Yes if they bring the claim in the correct company name.

2. The second point, if they listened is why they may choose not to bother with a second go.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X