• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pre-Action protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Action protocol

RE: letter before claim.... Pre-Action Protocol: In response to a letter of claim, the claimant is given 30 days by the respondent to produce requested proof of their claim. The claimant wants a minimum of 45 days in order to do so. Is that acceptable or allowed under the rules?
    Last edited by smintram; 29th September 2018, 22:07:PM.
    Tags: None

I would say so.

Litigation is considered to be a last resort and if the claimant doesnt have the proof then they would be wise to obtain proof before issuing legal proceedings.

Assuming it is a breach of contract type claim, they have 6 years to pursue it so an extra 15 days isn't much of a concern. They could take as long as they like wiliken the 6 year period if they wanted to pursue you.

As you've given no background informainforto the claim, you'll need to provide more information if you want further assistance.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob
      It's an alleged debt claim. Claimants solicitor states that his client can't produce within the time-frame of the direction protocol rules.

Comment

Well then unless legal proceedings have been issued, the Claimant can take as long as they like provided they are within the 6 year period.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

sorry...maybe I'm missing something...

1. Letter of pre-action sent by claimant.
          2. Pre-action protocol kicks in.
          3. Respondent expected to comply by the protocol rules and respond within 14 days, or 30 if seeking advice.
          4. Claimant non-compliance is acceptable contrary to section 5.2 of the protocol?

Is the court’s approach to compliance therefore one sided?

I'm not really getting it.

Comment

The thing is:

7 COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PROTOCOL 7.1 If a matter proceeds to litigation, the court will expect the parties to have complied with this Protocol. The court will take into account non-compliance when giving directions for the management of proceedings. The court will consider whether all parties have complied in substance with the terms of the Protocol and is not likely to be concerned with minor or technical infringements, especially when the matter is urgent. 7.2 For further information about the court’s approach to compliance, see Practice Direction – Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols (paragraphs 13 to 16).

Apart from that, which para of the PAP are you saying has been breached?
            You can find a copy here: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...s/debt-pap.pdf

I can't see where the PAP says that the claimant only has 30 days to provide documents, but perhaps I have missed it?

Comment

2222 is right, the pre-action protocols are just that. The protocols are a set of rules that the courts expect parties to comply with prior to issuing a claim, but if the claimant cannot provide the requested documents within the 30 day period, that doesn't mean they are prohibited from issuing a claim. They could still take their time to source those documents and then provide them to you at a later date in which case, they should afford you a reasonable amount of time to consider your position.

If they do issue proceedings without complying with the protocols, then a court can exercise discretion and reduce their damages amount or make an adverse costs order in some way.

2222 see below regarding the 30 day period and its relevance.

4.2 If the debtor indicates that they are seeking debt advice, the creditor must allow the debtor a reasonable period for the advice to be obtained. In any event, the creditor should not start court proceedings less than 30 days from receipt of the completed Reply Form or 30 days from the creditor providing any documents requested by the debtor, whichever is the later.

5.2 If the debtor requests a document or information, the creditor must:-
              (a) provide the document or information; or
              (b) explain why the document or information is unavailable, within 30 days of receipt of the request.
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I missed 5.2 (b).

Comment

So, is 5.2 therefore relevant in a big way? and does anyone know what type of solicitor would be appropriate in this field....thanks

Comment

It's relevant in so far as their non-compliance if they choose to issue a claim without providing the requested information, and that a court has discretion to penalise them in the way that I mentioned in my last post.

If you want to seek legal advice then you need to be looking for a litigation lawyer and are also known as dispute resolution lawyers.

You are only at the pre-action stage and they have yet to provide you with the documentation so it might be a bit premature to go to a lawyer at this stage and you might be better off waiting until the documents you've asked for have been disclosed.

Even still, a lot of us on here are experienced and we may be able to assist you at least to some extent without you needing to seek legal advice and pay for it. So if you are prepared to give us some background then we could try and point you in the right direction.

I'm also tagging Amethyst jaguarsuk for further comments
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

The point is that if they were to source the documents at a later date they could simply send you another Letter Before Action with that documentation giving you 30 days to respond.

In that instance I don't think a court would really make any sanction against them.
                      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by smintram View Post
                        So, is 5.2 therefore relevant in a big way? and does anyone know what type of solicitor would be appropriate in this field....thanks

The PAP says "The court will consider whether all parties have complied in substance with the terms of the Protocol and is not likely to be concerned with minor or technical infringements". Yes, this is an infringement, but it appears to me to be really minor or technical. There is no disadvantage to you at all, as far as I can see, but perhaps you can spot one?

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post

The PAP says "The court will consider whether all parties have complied in substance with the terms of the Protocol and is not likely to be concerned with minor or technical infringements". Yes, this is an infringement, but it appears to me to be really minor or technical. There is no disadvantage to you at all, as far as I can see, but perhaps you can spot one?

I agree, its hardly going to be viewed by the Court as a serious breach, its more likely to result in a costs order being reduced if the case goes to trial and they win, or an indemnity costs order if you win at trial and they lose.
                          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thank you all....and Rob...I don't know what I could say which wouldn't identify the situation to the bottom feeders, who I'm convinced, read these forums. I'll try...let me know what you need to know... Do you think the other parties solicitor would likely "show" if a hearing was scheduled at the other end of the country..say 200 miles away? And...If, a CCA request was part of the requested information of the PAP, does not the Consumer Credit Act allow 12 working days for this request to be carried out before the company enter into a default situation. If the request is not satisfied after a further 30 calendar days, the company commit an offence. Just an after thought.......sorry for the quickie
                            replies..in a rush to work
                            Last edited by smintram; 3rd October 2018, 10:30:AM.

Comment

Watch yourself if using Money Claims on Line (MCOL) if you are using the N1 form because they have a on-line version of the form but the terms and conditions attached to the on-line form are nothing like the original terms of the standard N1 form and the web-site tries to hide this fact using misguiding "BIG RED BOLD TEXT" to divert attention away from these facts.

Some links don't work on the site and the .pdf software they use to process submitted documents is broken and does not see text in some of the text boxes.

We regret ever trying to save 10% on costs and using MCOL to proceeded with the case and are happy that the case was transferred to the local courts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X