• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Strike out or Summary Judgement? Defence is using court to intimidate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike out or Summary Judgement? Defence is using court to intimidate

I'm wondering if I have a chance at striking out a defence or requesting Summary Judgement due to the lack of evidence the defence has provided when defending the claim.

They have cherry picked emails, but just copied and pasted details into the claim form. The defence is very much a rambling of denial along with accusations that are untrue and with no evidence provided.

I have evidence against 80%-90% of the defendants particulars.

The company ignored emails, phone calls and a 'letter before action' which is why I started the claim. They submitted their defence on the deadline day and have said no to mediation along with a threat to counterclaim if this claim is not dropped.

The issue is that they defendant says that I worked over budget, however there was no set budget and no written confirmation of this. The work was completed following a verbal agreement. Paid of the balance was paid, however this is just an amount they've pulled off the top of their head for the 'budget'.

I am confident I have enough evidence in favour of my claim, all of which had been provided to the defendant which was ignored in the defence.

They have gone into details regarding an issue that arose 9 months after the invoice. They did not allow me to correct this issue nor is it in no way related to the work I completed for them, and are now using this as a reason not to pay the claim.

I also believe the defendant has filled in the defence form incorrectly.

Claim is for £3000, they have written that they have paid £8000 (their 'budget') so the claim amount has not been paid.

They've also stated they 'reserve the right to counterclaim'

Any advice would be great!
    Tags: None

Originally posted by JessB99 View Post
    I'm wondering if I have a chance at striking out a defence or requesting Summary Judgement due to the lack of evidence the defence has provided when defending the claim.

They have cherry picked emails, but just copied and pasted details into the claim form. The defence is very much a rambling of denial along with accusations that are untrue and with no evidence provided.

I have evidence against 80%-90% of the defendants particulars.

The company ignored emails, phone calls and a 'letter before action' which is why I started the claim. They submitted their defence on the deadline day and have said no to mediation along with a threat to counterclaim if this claim is not dropped.

The issue is that they defendant says that I worked over budget, however there was no set budget and no written confirmation of this. The work was completed following a verbal agreement. Paid of the balance was paid, however this is just an amount they've pulled off the top of their head for the 'budget'.

I am confident I have enough evidence in favour of my claim, all of which had been provided to the defendant which was ignored in the defence.

They have gone into details regarding an issue that arose 9 months after the invoice. They did not allow me to correct this issue nor is it in no way related to the work I completed for them, and are now using this as a reason not to pay the claim.

I also believe the defendant has filled in the defence form incorrectly.

Claim is for £3000, they have written that they have paid £8000 (their 'budget') so the claim amount has not been paid.

They've also stated they 'reserve the right to counterclaim'

Any advice would be great!
    Okay so I need to understand where this claim is up to because you are mentioning mediation.

You have filed a claim, they have filed a defence, have you received an N180 Directions Questionnaire?

If you have not, have they said they won't mediate in their defence?

It would be useful to see your claim form (and if you sent detailed Particulars of Claim that too) along with their defence. Please remove any personal information to ensure your anonymity.

If they wanted to Counterclaim then they should have filed this with the Defence, it seems they don't really have much of an idea what they are doing and that's not really a bad thing.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X