• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims Court limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claims Court limit

Hello, I just need some clarification on a small claims court matter.

As I understand it the claim limit is £10,000
    I am looking to make a claim for £9,993.21
    This attracts court fees of £410 making a total claim of £10,401.21
    Would this still qualify for small claims court?
    Do the court fees get included in the claim amount?

Thanks in advance...
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Gemby View Post
    Hello, I just need some clarification on a small claims court matter.

As I understand it the claim limit is £10,000
    I am looking to make a claim for £9,993.21
    This attracts court fees of £410 making a total claim of £10,401.21
    Would this still qualify for small claims court?
    Do the court fees get included in the claim amount?

Thanks in advance...
    I would say so as the fee is added after the claimed amount.

Just to let you know £410 is the issue cost and there may be a further trial fee of £335 if it gets that far.

There often other usually free ways of complaining about things before having to issue a claim, perhaps more info might reveal a better route.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi JAGUARSUK and thanks for your reply.

This court action is a culmination of two years of arguments and battles over works needed to my flat.
      Believe me when I say that I have tried all reasonable avenues open to me.
      The fact remains that the person in question lives in a different dimension and I believe that court is the only way to get through to him!

Comment

Originally posted by Gemby View Post
        Hi JAGUARSUK and thanks for your reply.

This court action is a culmination of two years of arguments and battles over works needed to my flat.
        Believe me when I say that I have tried all reasonable avenues open to me.
        The fact remains that the person in question lives in a different dimension and I believe that court is the only way to get through to him!
        So when you say that works need to be done, is the sum you are claiming for the value of what needs to be done?
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

The sum I am claiming for is to pay for works already carried out on my flat to rectify damp issues (along with some loss of rent).
          The Defendant in the case is the Freeholder of the block of flats. Under the terms of my lease, they are responsible for the fabric of the building. This includes the damp proof course.
          They have already made a payment of £2000 towards these works (therefore admitting liability). I am just trying to reclaim the rest of the moneys that I have paid out.

Comment

You can limit your claim to £10,000 (use the N1 Form and not MCOL) and take a loss on some money but still protecting you under the small claims rules. The court does however, have discretion to move it to another track anyway so there is no absolute guarantee that it will sit in the small claims track, particularly if the matter is complex.

You should also check the terms of the lease and see whether there is a limitation of liability clause because that might hinder your chances of successfully claiming.

Also, have you got legal expenses cover and if so, you might want to check with them to see if that will cover you rather than shelling out your own money.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I issued proceedings last night via MCOL. (I did this before I saw your post)
              I kept the amount of claim at £9993.21
              There is nothing in the lease to limit their liability.
              I hadn't thought about legal expenses cover but will take a look into it.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Not to say that in practice the court will allocate to the small claims track as the court has discretion but, CPR 26.8(2) requires the court to disregard costs and interest when assessing financial value

It is for the court to assess the financial value of a claim and in doing so it will disregard –

(a) any amount not in dispute;

(b) any claim for interest;

(c) costs; and

(d) any contributory negligence.
                I am not legally qualified and my comments and observations are not given, nor are they to be taken or relied upon as legal advice. Debt matters are often complex and public forums should not be seen as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Comment

That's helpful, thanks REBZ

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X