• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Stalemate on agreement to settle out of court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalemate on agreement to settle out of court

I'm currently involved in a civil case with a company in which I am the Claimant.

I have a default judgement against them, but they have applied to have it set aside. The hearing is due in 10 days, however, we are close to reaching an agreement out of court.

The problem is that, at the moment, they will only agree to pay me (nearly half the amount the CCJ is for) upon receipt of the notice of discontinuance from the court. From what I understand, this will give me no protection at all if they decide not to pay me after the notice if filed, and I will have to pay the court fee.

What I have put forward to them is either:

1. They pay me the agreed amount and I will then file.

2. They draft a consent order, file the notice themselves and pay the cost for filing.

Both of which they are refusing to do and are insistent that I file before they pay me.

Could anyone suggest a way forward please? A friend has suggest using Transpact online as a separate account for the funds to be transferred to, and then only released on receipt of the notice of discontinuance. Has anyone had any experience using Transpact?

Thank you
    Tags: None

On what grounds are they asking for the order to be set aside? Is it a Solicitor you're dealing with or the Claimant directly?

If they are agreeing to settle they must not be confident they can have the order set aside and/or even if they are that they can defeat your claim.

Firstly they have to get the judgement set aside for you to discontinue the claim. So, I wouldn't rush into anything as if they don't attend the hearing or fail to get it set aside you have a judgement you can then move to enforcement for the full amount.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself who this settlement most benefits, from what you have written above it seems them. If it most benefits them, then it's just a matter of telling them to do the leg work or you'll proceed as planned.

If they want to settle I would advise you get a Consent Order as then if they renege on it you can return to the court proceedings to have it paid.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by man123 View Post
      I'm currently involved in a civil case with a company in which I am the Claimant.

I have a default judgement against them, but they have applied to have it set aside. The hearing is due in 10 days, however, we are close to reaching an agreement out of court.

The problem is that, at the moment, they will only agree to pay me (nearly half the amount the CCJ is for) upon receipt of the notice of discontinuance from the court. From what I understand, this will give me no protection at all if they decide not to pay me after the notice if filed, and I will have to pay the court fee.

What I have put forward to them is either:

1. They pay me the agreed amount and I will then file.

2. They draft a consent order, file the notice themselves and pay the cost for filing.

Both of which they are refusing to do and are insistent that I file before they pay me.

Could anyone suggest a way forward please? A friend has suggest using Transpact online as a separate account for the funds to be transferred to, and then only released on receipt of the notice of discontinuance. Has anyone had any experience using Transpact?

Thank you
      Hi there

It may be helpful to know what their grounds are for applying to set aside the Judgment first.

On the discontinuance point my initial thoughts are HELL NO!!! you discontinue you lose and whats more you could per CPR 38 have to pay their costs too.

If they want to do a deal to set aside the Judgment then this could be done in a consent order that sets aside judgment then you could have a clause that allows for the Defendant to pay you money as agreed.

That would mean they no longer have a CCJ, you have an order that they have to pay and if you word it right you could enforce the order in court if they refuse to pay later

I would not discontinue this claim at this stage no way
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X