• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP! - Stayed court claim being pursued by Cohen Howard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! - Stayed court claim being pursued by Cohen Howard

Hi Everyone

i would really appreciate some help please, as Cohen is pursuing a court claim which was stayed by the court last year as they never complied to my defense.

A credit card debt being chased by Cohen, was received with a claim form Northampton court..
    I applied the three step process with my defence online to the court, I sent the CPR 31.14 and the CCA request.

They totally failed to respond within any time frame required, and I was hoping that would be the last of them! But after nearly one year I received a letter from Cohen requesting that I withdraw my defense and contract to a payment plan!

They sent me a copy of the CCA contract, default notice, letters of assignment, CC statement etc The CCA agreement was just a badly scanned single a4 copy
    They are giving me 14 days to respond or else they will refer back to their client for further instructions with view to progressing the claim.

Their statements show that no payment was made since ****, its just a few months till the full 6 year period...
    Please can someone advise me on what to do here, on how to proceed, and what are my options?
    Last edited by DISTRESST; 17th March 2018, 18:23:PM.
    Tags: None

Also, why would Cohen be asking me to 'withdraw my defense'?

Help
    Last edited by DISTRESST; 17th March 2018, 18:24:PM.

Comment

Morgan Stanley Dean Witter ended up being bought out by Barclaycard I believe, so that may be why the letter refers to them.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
        Morgan Stanley Dean Witter ended up being bought out by Barclaycard I believe, so that may be why the letter refers to them.
        Ok, I wasn't aware, thanks

Comment

Any input on the best way to proceed from here on my case anyone ?

Comment

I note the Default Notice was issued by Mercers who were not the creditor at the time.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
              I note the Default Notice was issued by Mercers who were not the creditor at the time.

Di
              Thanks for your prompt response.
              I will follow through with some docs shortly

Comment

Originally posted by DISTRESST View Post

Okay, but please don't redact them.

Di

Comment

Di
                  But the notice does contain the name and address of the creditor so could be argued to comply with the requirements of the Regulations.
                  I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

The agreement is exactly the same one which Cabot relied upon in Cabot v Patterson. Its incomplete, and looks to me to have legibility issues for starters.

If youve made a request under s78 (1) Consumer credit act 1974 for a true copy, what they have provided does not appear to be anywhere near compliant.
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13349239

That BBC interview i did has some details on the right hand side about the patterson matter. It was an interesting case which Cabot lost, and the agreement was declared unenforceable for pretty much the same reasons as in this case which i dealt with http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/Misc/2012/19.html

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

But the notice does contain the name and address of the creditor so could be argued to comply with the requirements of the Regulations.

Although Mercers Debt Collections Ltd had ceased trading (dormant company) at the time.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by DISTRESST View Post

Got them.

Di

Comment

Although Mercers Debt Collections Ltd had ceased trading (dormant company) at the time.

Di
                            Of course, but the old argument used to be that the notice didnt contain the name and address of the creditor which has been sorted it seems on that notice

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Of course, but the old argument used to be that the notice didnt contain the name and address of the creditor which has been sorted it seems on that notice

I wasn't referring to the 'old argument', I was referring to a current argument (dormant company).

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X