• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help! Defence due on Wednesday, just received reply from CCA/ CPR requests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! Defence due on Wednesday, just received reply from CCA/ CPR requests

Good morning!

I would be really grateful if anyone could help with this.

I received a court claim dated 10th January relating to an overdraft with BOS. The creditor is Arrow Global with the case being managed by Restons. The amount is under 2k and debt is not statute barred.

I acknowledged service on MCOL stating intention to defend in full.

In the POC they mentioned a 'contract' and 'assignment' so after getting some advice on here (thank you!) I sent off a CPR request to Restons relating to those items mentioned in the POC and a CCA request to AG.

I have received the responses as attached (identifying details blurred out).

I was wondering how I proceed from here and would really appreciate any guidance that can be offered.

Many thanks!

Attached Files
    Tags: None

You will need to file a defence using the example here

The solicitors know fine well they will be required to produce the documentation in court and the fact they are going down the route of the Particulars of Claims having "sufficient" information to allow you to file a defence suggests they haven't currently got them.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

jaguarsuk Thanks for your quick reply! Just checking as I want to make sure I get it right- does this defence example apply even though the amount being claimed is from an overdraft (ie not Loan/CC/Catalogue account). Thanks in advance

Comment

It may do if you renewed the overdraft each year. Do you know when the account defaulted ?

Any issues with that overdraft balance ( charges etc?) or simply a case of moving to a new bank and forgetting about it?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Are you in Scotland or England & Wales? Just checking because it's a Bank of Scotland overdraft.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

jaguarsuk I am in England, sorry should have been more specific - although all correspondence all specifies 'Bank of Scotland' the overdraft was with Halifax

Amethyst I can't remember having to renew it each year but it is possible. The account defaulted some time in 2015 (I was out of the country at the time). There were certainly charges on the account, and I was also missold a packaged bank account (the account this claim relates to) which I wasn't sure whether or not to include as part of a defence.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the circumstances and location.

The template can still be used, because the refusal of the Part 31.14 request by the solicitor means that you are unable to properly asses your position and form a complete defence. If this claim had been started at a local court they would have had to provide those and you are entitled as such to request to see them when they have filed a claim via MCOL.

I wouldn't include in the defence that you were missold the packaged account as the claimant Arrow aren't anything really to do with that, so will just brush it aside. I would certainly make a complaint to Halifax for the misselling of it though and Money Saving Experts explains more here

Comment

Thanks so much for all the help so far. I have amended the defence template to (hopefully) suit my case. If somebody has a couple of minutes I'd really appreciate if they could take the time to have a quick read over and suggest anything to add/ take out before I submit it.

Also:

For point number 3- Should I use the term 'agreement' as in the template or 'contract' which is mentioned in the POC? Also not sure about this section as I'm not sure if CCA is relevant as mentioned above (it could be but not sure).

For point number 4- Not sure whether to include this at all.

Thanks

Attached Files

Comment

I'd change 9 to: Restons Solicitors Ltd have refused to comply with my request and have not sent any of these documents to me.

I don't know about the CCA relating to an overdraft, Diana M will be able to help.

Comment

Thanks jaguarsuk have changed point 9 as per your suggestion.

Hi Diana M sorry to bother you I am about to submit my defence but not sure whether to include reference to CCA as the amount outstanding was from an overdraft. Also if you have chance to look over the defence attached I'm not sure whether to include Point 4 and whether in Point 3 I should use the term 'agreement' as in the template or 'contract' as used in the POC.

Thanks in advance!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just wanted to let you know the outcome of this. I submitted my defence to the court, which basically was that I didn't have enough information to defend the claim, as I had requested it from the pareties involved and they responded that they did not need to provide it. The deadline for them to reply to this 'defence' passed, and I never heard anything from either them or the court.

3 months later, details of the default dissappeared from my credit file. Thanks to all here who helped, it is very much appreciated.

Comment

Have you received any notice of discontinuance ? you may well find that the case is simply 'stayed' ( on hold ) in the court system and Arrow could pick it back up at some point in the future. May be worth checking with the court. If that is the case, now would be a good time to settle for a reduced amount ( like 30% ) if you absolutely do not want to risk it becoming a CCJ in the future ( the claimant could apply to lift the stay and proceed IF they found documents and decided to ) As it was an overdraft the CCA doesn't really apply, except for the facility letters, so might have just fallen by the way side in their Admin and restructuring they're doing at the moment.

It is good that the default has gone from your credit file though - the account didn't default until 2015 did it so there's no reason for it to have fallen off the file so they must have removed it.

I'd be cautiously pleased at the moment. ( Sorry )
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thanks I haven't received notification of discontinuance so will get in touch with the court to confirm, but continue to be (cautiously) pleased. Thanks again

Comment

Sorry, feel like I pee'd on your chips there a bit xxx

Let us know what court say - if it is stayed, it could well remain stayed for the next few months or even years before the claimant does anything further so there is the option of applying to strike as an abuse of process but that does risk kicking the claimants back into action with the claim, and as it's an overdraft there's not really a definitive ' can't find the agreement, unenforceable ' argument to be had.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X