• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ Issued Against Me Isn't For My Debt? (Asset Collections & Investigations Ltd)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ Issued Against Me Isn't For My Debt? (Asset Collections & Investigations Ltd)

I've received a letter from HM Courts & Tribunals Services (On behalf The Centralised Attachment of Earnings Centre).

"MY NAME
    MY ADDRESS

RE: Case Number XXXXXXXX DEBTOR COMPANY VS MY NAME

Please find attached attached documentation that was sent to a previous address. This is a County Court Enforcement document and the form N56 must be fully completed and returned to the address stamped thereon. This must be FULLY completed and returned within ten working days, from the date of this letter to avoid escalation. This will give you a chance to pay the debt of your own volition under a Suspended Order without the intervention of your Employer. Yours sincerely, A Proper Officer"

Inside is a letter headed "Notice of Application for Attachment of Earnings Order

Judgement Debtor:
    MY NAME
    A RANDOM ADDRESS
    I'VE NEVER LIVED AT

To the judgement debtor,

The judgement creditor obtained a judgement against you in the County Court Business Centre and as you have failed to pay as ordered, the judgement credit has applied for an attachmenet of earnings order requiring your employer to pay the judgement.

Unless you pay the judgement creditor the amount now due (shown below), you must complete the enclosed form of reply, including the statement of means, and send it to reach the court office within 8 days after you receive this notice.

Failure to reutn the reply form and the statement of means is a punishable offence. It will result in your employer being contacted and you may also be sent to prison for up to 14 days.

Balance ~£350
    Attachment Issue Fee ~£100"

Then a couple of forms asking for income breakdowns and ones threaning bailiffs and prison.

The issue? Not only do I have no knowledge of the original address, I also have no knowledge of this debt and this would be the only correspondance relating to it!

I've just called the debt agency, was asked some security questions, but as their records don't match (date of birth, middle name, address, email address) they can't discuss the account as it would breach Data Protection Act and are unwilling to present any correspondance on the matter!!

So a couple of questions, as this is a "judgement against you in a County Court", is this literally a CCJ, as in, will appear on my credit file etc?

I'd imagine this agency has used a tracing company to get my details and without checking, put this forward to the court for a judgement... absolutely boggles the mind

So where do I go from here? The Judgement Debtor refused any email correspondance (which I wanted for physical evidence of them acknowleding this wasn't my debt) and advised I send a letter to the court? I can imagine a letter of "I think you have the wrong guy, this isn't my debt, honest" would be laughed and thrown out?

Please advise, I don't know what to do...
    Tags: None

More knowledgeable beagles will be along.you will have to apply for a set aside N244 i believe there are strict timescales for making the claim.

Comment

Yes, this is a CCJ and it will appear on your credit file. If you don't already have online access to your report Noodle is free.

On noodle the creditors entry on your credit file should have the date of birth the creditor has and if they haven't updated it to your current address the one they will have on their file. If so, voila you have the details to provide for security when communicating with the creditor.

Who is the creditor?

Dealing with this will require an application to set-aside the original judgement, but we'll come to that when more facts are know.

Come back to let us know how you get on with the credit file and accessing the creditors information.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

The wording appears to sound legitimate but without seeing a copy of the document it's difficult to tell if it is or not. There should be a claim reference number at the top of the document so it might be best contacting the court and quoting that reference to confirm if this has in fact been issued y the court.
        The letter appears to be an attachment of earnings order so it looks like the claimant has issued a claim, obtained (presumably default judgment) and then as you have not paid within a relevant period of time, they've sought to enforce the order through attachment of earnings.

As JaguarsUK has suggested, if you have no knowledge of the debt then you might want to look at making an application to set aside the judgment so that it puts you back in a previous position to allow you to file a defence.

I would suggest you look at the link below which gives some guidance on doing this. Once you've read it and are happy to proceed then we can help you some more but I would caution against making any payment at all as you might struggle to set aside the CCJ if you do.

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...tailed-version
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X