• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with RLP please :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with RLP please :)

Need some advice please
    Tags: None

Re: RLP and the Oxford test case: The truth and the lies

Morning Spaklingcider What do you need help with ? We'll get you your own thread started out once I know where you need to be xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I was issued with a fixed penalty notice of £80 for a shoplifting offence involving goods to the value of £4 & given 21 days to pay it - I am unemployed & cannot afford to pay this in full immediately - any advice??? I have also since received a letter from RLP claiming a further £90 for reasons as listed in the above cases (the oxford case). In my situation I was detained immediately with the police arriving within 5 minutes - I was then arrested and taken to the local station where I was dealt with - all done within 20-30 mins. No disruption, loss to the retailer, etc as RLP are claiming was caused so what do I do with regards to the £90 they are expecting me to pay??? Thanks!!!
      Last edited by Amethyst; 19th November 2013, 10:20:AM.

Comment

Re: Help with RLP please

You have obviously already looked at the Oxford judgments so I'll just point you to this thread http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...elp-please-%29 for the moment then come ask anything you like and someone will help xx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Do not reply to RLP they will eventually go away and leave you alone, following advice on this forum found that ignoring them works a treat, they will threaten all sorts but they don't follow through. Sleep easy they're just bullies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklingcider View Post
            I was issued with a fixed penalty notice of £80 for a shoplifting offence involving goods to the value of £4 & given 21 days to pay it - I am unemployed & cannot afford to pay this in full immediately - any advice??? I have also since received a letter from RLP claiming a further £90 for reasons as listed in the above cases (the oxford case). In my situation I was detained immediately with the police arriving within 5 minutes - I was then arrested and taken to the local station where I was dealt with - all done within 20-30 mins. No disruption, loss to the retailer, etc as RLP are claiming was caused so what do I do with regards to the £90 they are expecting me to pay??? Thanks!!!
            RLP's demands are no more than speculative invoices. They are not a legal practice, they have no judicial powers and, certainly, have no right in law that I know of to make the demands they make on behalf of their retail clients. However, if they do write again, feel free to post up the letter, remembering to redact any personal details before doing so.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi guys

Thanks for the responses so far. Need some further advice - re my fixed penalty notice can I request further time to pay it (as I mentioned I am unemployed and not able to pay the amount in full within 21 days) and if I can how do I go about it???
              Secondly I'd be too frightened to simply ignore the demand from RLP as from what I've read on other threads they just keep on going & writing to you until either a bailiff turns up at your door or worse still you end up in court!!! I wouldn't be too bothered about this if it wasn't for the fact that I live with my parents & I don't want them to find out what actually happened!!!
              What about if I write or email them refusing to pay on the grounds of the Oxford case, them being bullies, not having a legal right to claim the money, etc., and ending it with me asking them to take it to court where I would at least have the opportunity to put forth my case??? Would that not be better than simply ignoring them only for them to continually keep writing me further threatening letters??? I would of course require advice and assistance as to what to write.
              Again any advice is VERY gratefully received & thanks to anyone that takes the time & trouble to respond!!!

Jo

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far. Need some further advice - re my fixed penalty notice can I request further time to pay it (as I mentioned I am unemployed and not able to pay the amount in full within 21 days) and if I can how do I go about it???
                Bluebottle is probably the best person to answer that.

Secondly I'd be too frightened to simply ignore the demand from RLP as from what I've read on other threads they just keep on going & writing to you until either a bailiff turns up at your door or worse still you end up in court!
                If they were to send someone round without first bothering to obtain judgement, they'd have no more right to be there than your neighbour's cat.

If the store - not RLP, as they have no cause of action - were to make a claim, you (or your lawyer) should defend it by subjecting the claim to strict proof as was done in the Oxford case. If you can get a barrister to represent you on a Conditional Fee Arrangement, so much the better, as that means the claimant will have to pay your costs when the claim fails.

I wouldn't be too bothered about this if it wasn't for the fact that I live with my parents & I don't want them to find out what actually happened!
                I can imagine that your mother might feel she had failed once she learned she had raised an inept kleptomaniac. :grin:

What about if I write or email them refusing to pay on the grounds of the Oxford case, them being bullies, not having a legal right to claim the money, etc., and ending it with me asking them to take it to court where I would at least have the opportunity to put forth my case??? Would that not be better than simply ignoring them only for them to continually keep writing me further threatening letters???
                A far better idea would be to contact the National Pro Bono Centre - link - and get a lawyer to refute their spurious claim.

Comment

Hi guys

Secondly I'd be too frightened to simply ignore the demand from RLP as from what I've read on other threads they just keep on going & writing to you until either a bailiff turns up at your door or worse still you end up in court!!! I wouldn't be too bothered about this if it wasn't for the fact that I live with my parents & I don't want them to find out what actually happened!!!
                  What about if I write or email them refusing to pay on the grounds of the Oxford case, them being bullies, not having a legal right to claim the money, etc., and ending it with me asking them to take it to court where I would at least have the opportunity to put forth my case??? Would that not be better than simply ignoring them only for them to continually keep writing me further threatening letters??? I would of course require advice and assistance as to what to write.
                  Again any advice is VERY gratefully received & thanks to anyone that takes the time & trouble to respond!!!

Jo
                  I would certainly feel similarly in your position, Sparkling. Those on here with more experience will tell you if there is a downside to writing a stout denial to these "shining wits" one last time or whether it's tactically wiser to say nothing. :croc:

Comment

Apologies SC - We appear to have concentrated on the RLP side of things. I understand what you are saying and yes I agree that writing back to RLP might be a good idea to head them off at the pass and stave it going further - so long as you post up a draft of your proposed letter first. The ignore it advice is because often these kinds of people burger off it they don't think they have a 'hit' and concentrate on cases where the 'victim' has entered into a dialogue with them. Possibly ignore until the second letter from them, if there is one ?

Firstly you need to deal with the fine - ' I was issued with a fixed penalty notice of £80 for a shoplifting offence involving goods to the value of £4 & given 21 days to pay it - I am unemployed & cannot afford to pay this in full immediately - any advice??? '

I don't know anything about the police penalty's I'm afraid, hopefully others will be along who do, but what does the notice actually say about the 21 days ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      Apologies SC - We appear to have concentrated on the RLP side of things. I understand what you are saying and yes I agree that writing back to RLP might be a good idea to head them off at the pass and stave it going further - so long as you post up a draft of your proposed letter first. The ignore it advice is because often these kinds of people burger off it they don't think they have a 'hit' and concentrate on cases where the 'victim' has entered into a dialogue with them. Possibly ignore until the second letter from them, if there is one ?

Firstly you need to deal with the fine - ' I was issued with a fixed penalty notice of £80 for a shoplifting offence involving goods to the value of £4 & given 21 days to pay it - I am unemployed & cannot afford to pay this in full immediately - any advice??? '

I don't know anything about the police penalty's I'm afraid, hopefully others will be along who do, but what does the notice actually say about the 21 days ?
                      Is this a fixed penalty from the Police do we know, or is it RLP's first 'demand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

Notice states that 'within 21 days of the date of issue you must either pay the penalty (£80) OR request that the matter be heard by a court - you cannot do both. Failure to do either, a fine of 1 and a half times the penalty amount may be registered with a court and you may have to pay additional bailiff fees or you may be arrested'.

There is no information provided as to contacting someone/anyone with regards to making arrangements to pay in installments if at all that is possible??? I'm worried sick at the moment that I will run out of time & the fine will increase & I will get into further trouble with not only RLP chasing after me but also the police/bailiff's as well!!!

Comment

Notice states that 'within 21 days of the date of issue you must either pay the penalty (£80) OR request that the matter be heard by a court - you cannot do both. Failure to do either, a fine of 1 and a half times the penalty amount may be registered with a court and you may have to pay additional bailiff fees or you may be arrested'.

There is no information provided as to contacting someone/anyone with regards to making arrangements to pay in installments if at all that is possible??? I'm worried sick at the moment that I will run out of time & the fine will increase & I will get into further trouble with not only RLP chasing after me but also the police/bailiff's as well!!!
                          So the £80 is definately a Fixed Penalty Notice from the Police.

That is your one and only priority then, don't consider or worry about RLP, if anything, if you did opt to write a letter to RLP, i'd be inclined to state 'Have been officially fined and rebuked by the Police, your speculative invoice is not needed nor required'.

If you really have a problem paying it, then the only course of action open to you is to request it goto court, at least then you can put across your financial problems, explaining you want to pay the fine off, but have no chance of doing so within the 21 days.

That way you avoid bailiff actions and possible arrest, and no doubt the court can setup some sort of payment plan whereby you pay £X per week. Be aware though, that if they do this, you will have to pay court costs (doubt it would be much more than £35-£50 additional to the Fixed Penalty Notice) and i'm not sure whether or not your fine is a high enough threshold to mean you'd have to pay a victims surcharge on top, but at least you'd be able to represent your financial situation.

Comment

If it were me, I would accept the police fine (the 80 quid) and apply to pay it according to what you can afford (suggest a per week figure within your means).

The RLP sum is completely unjustified and, as said above, either ignore or refute in writing one last time.

Sort out affordable repayments for the Police fine, give RLP the finger and please don't lose any more sleep over this stupid mistake! :hug:

Comment

Originally posted by Galahad View Post
                              So the £80 is definately a Fixed Penalty Notice from the Police.

That is your one and only priority then, don't consider or worry about RLP, if anything, if you did opt to write a letter to RLP, i'd be inclined to state 'Have been officially fined and rebuked by the Police, your speculative invoice is not needed nor required'.

If you really have a problem paying it, then the only course of action open to you is to request it goto court, at least then you can put across your financial problems, explaining you want to pay the fine off, but have no chance of doing so within the 21 days.

That way you avoid bailiff actions and possible arrest, and no doubt the court can setup some sort of payment plan whereby you pay £X per week. Be aware though, that if they do this, you will have to pay court costs (doubt it would be much more than £35-£50 additional to the Fixed Penalty Notice) and i'm not sure whether or not your fine is a high enough threshold to mean you'd have to pay a victims surcharge on top, but at least you'd be able to represent your financial situation.
                              You've beaten me to it, Galahad.

SC, I would add to Galahad's already excellent advice, that you speak to the police within the 21 days allowed - the sooner the better - and explain your financial situation to them. They - the police - may suggest the matter goes before a Magistrates Court and your means be examined so that a payment arrangement can be put in place. If suggested, go to your local magistrates court and ask for a Means Form, which you should complete, photocopy and then take to the hearing with you. The District or Deputy District Judge or JPs who preside over the hearing can then see what you can realistically afford to pay and over what period of time it should be paid. When you go to the police station, ask to speak to a sworn/warranted police officer, not a PCSO or Civilian Support Staff on the front desk, who are not trained to the same standard or level as sworn/warranted police officers.

Hope this helps.

Bluebottle
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X