• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Removal of price tag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of price tag

Hi. I recently removed a price tag on an item in TK Maxx in order to have the item reassessed. This may sound strange but at the time it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do with no intention of any wrong-doing. I took the item to customer services and asked if they could price the item. The assistant went away and came back (with the item still in her possession) to inform me someone would price it for me. After some time, another assistant came over (in possession of a similar item, but not the same). She informed me the item was £6.99. I bought the item but I only got chance to walk a few steps away from the till when I was taken away by a security guard. He threatened to call the police if I did not admit to the removal of the tag and informed me that I'd deceived the member of staff. I have recently been diagnosed with depression, and on the day I was in a fragile state of mind and was frightened to defend myself. The security guard produced a price tag of £16.99, claiming it was the original tag, though the tag I removed was £12.99. They took my details and I was banned for life from the store. They then took the item back and refunded me.

I'm not sure who priced the item as it was not the staff member who told me the price was £6.99, as when I asked to purchase the item she had to ask the first member of staff to confirm if the item lying by the till was the correct one. Therefore, she did not know what it looked like. I received a letter from Retail Loss Prevention demanding £137.50. Fortunately, I sought advice from CAB and wrote to RLP. I received an unpleasant letter back stating my actions were to deceive (even though I explained my intention) but no longer pursuing the claim and informing me that my details will remain on their data base (mentioning the Data Protection Act) and declaring the case closed.

I was thinking of writing to TK Maxx regarding the incident but really see no point. The whole incident seems very wrong, with a lot of unanswered questions on my part regarding how the staff went about this, and who exactly priced the item. As I mentioned before, I have been diagnosed with depression and was not in a good state of mind on the day. I also have genetic disorder known as neurofibromatosis type 1, which can affect perception and thought process. I did not intend to deceive or commit fraud in any way. I always understood that a price tag is an invitation to the customer, and the seller is under no obligation to sell at that price.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter as I do feel that the actions of the staff were not right. The whole incident has been very stressful for me. Thank you.
    Last edited by BigBertha; 24th January 2013, 16:09:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Removal of price tag

When you say keeping your details on a database (mentioning the data protection act), what exactly do they say? Can you quote the exact wording, as no crime has been committed, I assume you signed nothing granting this permission, so on what grounds do they think they have a right to hold your data against your will?

Comment

What is written is "The details of the incident will be held on our system as a record of events for a period compliant with the Data Protection Act 1998"

Comment

Did you sign anything at all in the store?

Comment

I don't remember signing anything. I came away with two bits of paper. A printed notice of intended civil recovery, the other a banning notice signed by the security guard and someone else. Surely if I'd signed something I would have a copy of it?

Comment

But they had your name and address.

Comment

Yes, they took my name, address and date of birth.

Comment

I'm shocked to hear this! In this day and age, every item for sale in those large chain outlets is logged on a database with full retail price and sale/offer price if applicable and when you buy something the person at the till has to enter a code that identifies the product rather than the price, for inventory and stock control purposes. In the absence of a scannable tag, a product code would have to be entered manually, which would bring up the price. If a customer went to the till with a product tagged with another product's tag then it could pass as the original tag (as long as they are similar products) so switching tags *could* still work, and the person doing it could be held responsible for it. However, if there is no tag whatsoever then it's up to the sales staff to look up the product code, what they most often do is find a similar item. If they get it wrong it would be THEIR responsibility not the customer's!

A few months ago I found a pair of Goretex winter boots amongst the clearance items at a local TKMaxx store, I was lucky that they were my size because they were the only ones left. They had a tag showing a sale price of £40 which was a substantial reduction from the original price which was close to £100. The tag wasn't attached properly. I put the boots in a shopping basket and went upstairs to get other items. When I got to the till the tag had fallen off somewhere on the shop floor. I was worried because they were the only boots of their kind, so there would be no similar item to compare them to, and also because I thought if they looked them up, they could come up with the original price - the tag had a price crossed out with the new price in red. The person at the till gave the boots to someone else and they managed to find the product code and the reduced price in around 5 minutes despite no trace of a tag! I didn't remove it, I lost it, but it amounts to the same thing: staff had to lookup the item. If they make a mistake, how can they blame the customer for their mistake? Would be different if the tag had been switched!

Comment

Thank you labman and FlamingParrot for your replies. It is good to know that items can be easily priced using a product code. The whole experience has been awful.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBertha View Post
                    Thank you labman and FlamingParrot for your replies. It is good to know that items can be easily priced using a product code. The whole experience has been awful.
                    Only small, independent businesses enter prices directly onto the till. Big chains like TKMaxx always use product codes and prices come up automatically because they are associated with the product codes on the database used by point of sale systems. Employees can't just enter an amount on the till without an associated code.

Comment

Have you seen the RLP thread on here and read the Oxford case? It's quite enlightening!

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                        Have you seen the RLP thread on here and read the Oxford case? It's quite enlightening!
                        Can't say I have! Any idea where to find them?

Comment

This is a shocking story :rant:Shame on TK Maxx who have already been named as one of the worst offenders of exploiting this kind of situation. I'll name some others too while I'm at it: Boots, Tesco, Debenhams, ASDA, B&Q. These stores all have a policy of issuing £150 civil recovery claims against people in preference to calling the police. It's a disgusting money-spinning racket if you ask me. They've made over £600,000 profit from this practice. As far as I'm aware you can't be booked for shoplifting until you've left the store, and this mix-up over price tags may be a similar situation. Read the background here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-instead.html

Now cheer yourself up by reading this case where the retailer's claim was thrown out of court by the judge because they couldn't prove anything:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...very_claim.htm

How dare TK Maxx put you through this terrible ordeal all over £10. It sounds to me as if they never had a case but were trying to frighten you into paying £137 for something you may not have done in preference to being taken to court and risking a criminal record. That's bullying, pure and simple.

I'd be interested to know what they meant by "intention to deceive". How do they know what was going through your head at the time. Are they psychic?

I'd be writing to TK Maxx to make a formal complaint and ask for compensation. Maybe check out some similar cases on the internet because I've seen them. In the meantime you have my heartfelt sympathy because suffering from depression is bad enough without vultures like TK Maxx taking advantage of your fragile state. This kind of abuse (because that's what it is in my book) of vulnerable people makes my blood boil.

Take care :hug::hug:

Comment

Is this the case you mean? http://legalbeagles.info/rlp-and-the...lies/#more-532

I'm very new to this site and found it when searching on-line for information regarding my experiences in TK MAXX. I find it quite shocking what is going on.

Comment

Thanks PlanB, things like this seem to be rife. I really hope something is done about it very soon. Thanks for the links.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X