• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Theft from employer RLP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft from employer RLP

Back in roughly July due to several issues at work and my personal life I made some bad decisions and stole cash from a till over a period of two weeks, I stole roughly £2400 before being caught. I admit to it immediately and got sentenced in December after pleading guilty, the company I worked for took £1400 my entire last payslip then after court I was sentenced to pay roughly another £1300 including court fines.

After the court case I discovered a letter from RLP stating I owe £2000 of what I admitted to, £2400 for the cost of lost stock, £300 for the investigation, £75 for mileage and another £300 as a security contribution. During every step of the investigation I've offered to pay back what I stole but this is well over twice what I took, the £2400 and £2000 are the exact same thing, by paying back what I stole they got the value of the stock they lost.

I'm currently looking for working and trying to complete my sentence but I'm already in debted to family currently and this will be adding roughly another £2700 since they have removed what I've already paid. Can anyone offer any advice on what to do next, I have no issue paying the investigation and milage but the security contribution and £2000 are just excessive and I don't see how they are mine to pay.

I apologise for any grammar or spelling mistakes, thank you.
    Tags: None

Let's see what the experts suggest but in the meantime just to comment that you will see much advice to ignore RLP but that advice is always given in the context of shoplifting by non-employees.

I believe a company's legal rights are greater when the theft has been commited by an employee because of the greater obligations of an employee compared to a shoplifter.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Wait for others to comment - des8

I would write back to RLP stating that the matter has been dealt with by the employer / Courts. The employer has rightly held on to £1,400 and the Courts have ordered you to pay £1,300, which you will do, that is the end of the matter.

Tell them (RLP), if they continue to 'harass' you for monies that isn't owed, then you will consider taking action against them and the employer under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

You don't have to pay the £1,300 in a lump sum, you can fill in an income and expenditure form, send that to the Court, if you can only pay £10 a month, so be it.

Comment

Some years ago we had a similar case on LB, and I spent a couple of hours last night unsuccessfully looking for it.

Amethyst gave a lot of advice, and the outcome was that RLP took it to the line, but then gave up.

I think the first response was to ask for an itemised detailed breakdown showing how each item of loss was calculated, because there is a possibility of a civil claim for the employer's losses

Obviously we suspect that RLP will have inflated and invented losses

I'll carry on looking for that elusive thread through the course of today

Comment

Maybe get a breakdown from the company regards the £1,400 as that was due to you as salary.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...ses-for-theft/

Comment

des8

Is this the thread? - https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...employee-theft

Comment

Good find echat11, but I have in the back of my mind another thread which went on for sometime.
              I'll keep looking!

Comment

Thank you for the advice everyone, I just want to clear a few things up. My former employer had spent a week going through the transactions to find out how much I had taken, by the end of it they believed it to be about £2400 give or take. They gave this evidence to the police as the investigation was pending and that's what I was charged with.

In regards to the court I've already paid them the lump sum thanks to my family which was loudly £1300 including a the fine which were only about £200. From what i believed id paid the range back. My criminal solicitor did email the outcome of the court case so they deducted the £2400 but are still saying I owe them £2700. £2000 for what I stole, £300 for the investigation, £300 as a security contribution and £75 for milage.

Please let me know if there's anything I need to clarify. Thank you for the assistance.

Comment

The following is nonsense, simply because all of those costs will be in their business model, so are not realistic.

'£300 for the investigation, £300 as a security contribution and £75 for milage'.

What would these people be doing, if you had done nothing? 'twiddling their thumbs and getting paid for it'.

They get paid for doing their jobs.

Comment

That's what I thought, I'd begrudgingly pay the investigation and milage just to make them go away but I don't see what 'security contribution' is meant to mean, it's just a vague surcharge.

Comment

Don't pay them anything or do anything until you have full advice here.

Paying them for part of what they are asking will not make them go away. It wil have the opposite effect. They will mark you down as someone who can bullied into paying and will re-double their efforts to get money out of you.

​​​​​
                      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I'm a trifle confused over what you did and what you are accused of by RLP.

You admit to removing cash from the till(s) over a two week period.
                        The amount was in region of £2,400.
                        Is that by your reckoning or your ex employer?

RLP however state the claim starts at £2,400 for "lost stock"

This makes me think that RLP have either only been given bare details or, more likely have sent out one of their template letters.
                        Perhaps you could post it up so we can see exactly what they say
                        First remove all identifying details such as name & address and reference numbers

Comment

des, there was' no stock loss', he stole cash, they withheld £1400, his salary, then the Court ordered him to pay £1300, it's all been paid.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                            des, there was' no stock loss', he stole cash, they withheld £1400, his salary, then the Court ordered him to pay £1300, it's all been paid.
                            As RLP are stating "stock loss" I think it would be a good idea for us to see exactly what other delights they include.
                            I'm afraid posters often write what they think is in the documents they receive, but manage to miss the nuances.

Comment

In the simplest way to explain I stole cash from the tills, instead of finalising a transaction if a customer was paying in cash and didn't want a receipt I'd have a small amount of change not in the till that I'd give them in correct change. Afterwards I would void the items and move onto the next customer.

The evidence they gave to the police was the transactions with the items voided with accompanying video footage that doesn't out right show but makes it kind of clear what I'm doing if you know. This is where they got the rough £2400 from.

i listed down the itemised summary of what the RLP letter stated, as I said before the company seems to be trying to get as much money from me as possible that's why I'm being charged for both the admittance of stealing which I guessed was £2000 at the time of detainment and the cost they calculated from voided stock £2400. Despite the fact its one and the same. By getting back the £2400 they have taken back the money I stole and the cost of any stock from the voided transactions.

I don't know where I've put the paper work but if it helps I can upload a pic of the first letter they sent.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X