• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter from RLA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from RLA

Advice please.

Scary letter received from RLA stating that they have proof of a family member scanning cheaper bar codes. Family member was challenged in store, denied the incident and left the store abandoning all shopping.

They have not returned to the store since but have now received a letter stating that previous visits (can only assume they used the loyalty card to identify the person) have shown that they have proof of 20 till receipts with reduced items. Family member has admitted that they have on occasions used a cheaper barcode but they don’t believe it to be as often as they’re stating.

Family member is worried sick but more so that they’re unsure if the store will report to the police( incident in store happened 3 weeks ago), letter received 1 week after. Family member replied to letter disputing the claim but said they would consider paying a reduced fee (they regret replying now but panicked). The company responded requesting an offer is put to them for consideration.

When would it be likely that the store would report the incident to the police and when/ how would the police react?

Tags: None

Why not wait and see, how can they go to Court without clear proof ?, they regret replying now but are panicked, and may as well walk to the road and throw money at it.

Comment

forgive my ignorance, but who are RLA?

Comment

Sorry I may have got the initials wrong Retail Loss

Comment

Retail Loss Prevention Limited most likely.

Have they detailed how much they are trying to recover, and if so have they itemised it?

Comment

Yes they have and it’s itemised. Does this make it more serious?

Comment

Not more serious, but it might enable the figures to be challenged

Comment

Would you recommend that they attempt to negotiate the figures or ignore any further correspondence? If a payment is not made, is it likely that the supermarket will then look to prosecute themselves?

Comment

Can't possibly hazard a guess without seeing the full facts and figures.
                  Unlikely they would prosecute as that means initiating a private criminal prosecution in magistrates court and might be difficult to prove.
                  Possibly they would initiate a civil claim in the county court, but will depend on the amount involved and probably unlikely.
                  However as the offences seem to have been admitted, who knows?

Often civil recovery firms add in costs of investigation and the like.. they can be dismissed.
                  Also you need to work out what the shop has actually lost, which figure takes into account the wholesale cost to the shop, not the retail cost. You could argue that they only lost the wholesale value less the reduced amount paid.
                  It is possible that the reduced price that was scanned is more than the wholesale cost of the item.

Comment

The offences haven’t been admitted to the store however, I think that the fact they engaged in correspondence with RLP shows a level of admittance. Would you recommend that a response is sent requesting CCTV footage? It’s difficult to know whether they should pay or challenge the amount. They’re scared that if they don’t pay that this might make the store take further action.

Comment

What CCTV coverage is there? You only mention till receipts indicating use of reduced price barcodes.

As mentioned earlier without knowing full facts and figures it is difficult to make suggestions.
                      Could you post up a redacted copy of RLP's letters and the initial response from your family member?

Comment

Yes I will ask them for the letter.

I am guess

Comment

I am I guess referring to possible cameras at the self scan tills or even cctv footage in the store

Comment

Scanned Document.pdf Hi,
                            Update on case and advice request.
                            RLP have passed the case to Scott & Mears. My relative has told me that they have received some letters and text messages from said company. Today they received the attached letter.

any advice that I can pass on to them?

Comment

Scott & Mears are debt collection agency, nothing more nothing less.
                              RLP weren't able to collect a non existent debt, nor can this new lot of bottom feeders.

Ignore them and their letters.

The only thing one never ignores are genuine court papers (and there won't be any of those)

Here's a thread you might find of interest https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...o-recover-debt

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X