• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Retailer debit equipment fault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retailer debit equipment fault

A few members of my family noticed transactions on their debit accounts that they did not recognise, debits and then days later refunded.

They contacted their associated banks and were advised that the transactions had taken place in London and had been authorised with a correct pin number. This was apparently recognised activity to confirm if the holder noticed the transactions, in preparation for a much larger withdrawal when funds were available - salary date etc.

The bank advised to cancel to cards and they would be issued with a new card and pin, which they duly did, however they are still waiting for the replacements a period of almost a week (bearing in mind Monday was a bank holiday)

The information was posted on facebook, and a number of other people were affected, subsequent communication to the banks also resulted in cancelled cards.

It now transpires that the issue was caused by the introduction of "second hand" card devices at the point of sale in a local retailer. They had not been registered/configured properly. The retailer are not making people aware of the issue, we have only been able to establish the cause from members of the staff.

Surprisingly to me, the retailer has been able to amend the details of the transactions, resubmit for withdrawal, and have been successful, despite the cards having been cancelled.

I'm interested in opinions on this subject.
    Tags: None

Re: Retailer debit equipment fault

Did your family members make any transactions at the place in question ?

How much money has been taken ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

They contacted their associated banks and were advised that the transactions had taken place in London and had been authorised with a correct pin number. This was apparently recognised activity to confirm if the holder noticed the transactions, in preparation for a much larger withdrawal when funds were available - salary date etc.
      It now transpires that the issue was caused by the introduction of "second hand" card devices at the point of sale in a local retailer. They had not been registered/configured properly.
      This issue merits wider circulation. Consider sending this to the Money column in the Daily Mail.

Comment

I just wonder if I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but I am concerned that despite the cards being cancelled the transactions were able to proceed and that due to a retailer error my family and many more have been put through a lot of inconvenience, with no access to debit transactions or atm cash.

Comment

Was it a case of the company taking £1 out and refunding it, as a preauthorisation ?

Really think we need a bit more detail.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Was it a case of the company taking £1 out and refunding it, as a preauthorisation ?

Really think we need a bit more detail.
            I don't have exact detail here as my Daughter is at work, but a summary below:

Purchase made at the shop for £18 (for example) day 1
            Amount is withdrawn from the cardholders account (against incorrect retailer)
            Same Amount is credited back to the account day 10 (incorrect retailer)
            observed strange transaction day 14
            original amount is withdrawn against the correct retailer name day 18

Hope that helps a bit more, I can provide more accurate detail later if required.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X