• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Distant selling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distant selling

Hello there,
    I am wondering if you can help me, as I really don't know where to go with this problem, and court is a very costly business.
    I have been looking into cosmetic surgery, but I have had a bad experience previously so I wanted to make the correct decision this time. I have seen several consultants so far which have been free of charge, as I was avoiding the ones which charged for now, as if I had to pay I would have payed to see a well known and respected expert in his field Mr Woolford.

I was contacted by a lady, who advised me to see Mr Hargreaves at the Beaumont Hospital as he was an ENT surgeon, at no point during this conversation was a fee mentioned, as quite simply if there had have been mention of a fee I would have passed. I am sure it is possible to hear this conversation as all calls are recorded. I agreed to see a Mr Hargreaves, and she said she would send me out relevant literature to my home address, which she did. I still have the letter which details my appointment, however there is no mention of a fee.

The appointment was for 09/09/2009. I travelled to the Beaumont Hospital, my appointment was late, and very UN-professional, as I had people bustling in and out of the office, there was no mention of any fee at all. I later emailed Mr Hargreaves, that evening as I had questions to ask him, as during the consultation he had said to me do not hesitate to ask questions, to which I received no reply.

The next I heard from MR Hargreaves was a few weeks later asking for a consultation fee of one hundred and forty pounds, I ignored the letter thinking it was a mistake as at no point at all was any fee mentioned. I received a second threatening letter saying I would be taken to court.

These letters have upset me a great deal, as I am frightened by the mention of the word court and do not know how long I have to try and resolve the matter. I have contacted Mr Hargreaves on three occasions, I was replied to today 28/10/2009, and told Mr Hargreaves was away. I am all for paying my debts, however I really feel this unfair as I should have made aware there was a consultation fee,and how much this consultation fee was; which I would have rejected the consultation if I had been informed. I am concerned that people will be contacted through outside companies, such as I obviously have trying to get business, and conveiniently forget to equip you with all relevant information; such as costs.

I have recently investigated distance selling, as I was sold this service firstly over the telephone. It states that all prices including taxes and delivery charge if applicable must be given to the consumer; in addition to this written confirmation must be sent with all details including prices. As these regulations were not followed, am I correct to assume that I have a chance of winning such a case? I would realy appreciate your advice.

The company is BMI Health Care, and I am happy for you to contact them.
    Please help me
    Thanking you:tinysmile_grin_t:

Re: Distant selling

Well I've had a look at their site http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/paymentoptionshome and indeed it seems to me to be a private hospital, therefore I am sure that you'll have to pay the consultation fee.

Did you make the appointment yourself or was your referred by your GP, I'm not sure if that will make much difference but we may be able to find something else out for you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X