• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty car at nearly 6 months

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty car at nearly 6 months

Hi, I would be really grateful if anyone can help. We bought a car from a small scale dealer 5.5 months ago. Within the first 30 days we had a problem with an engine management light - the dealers were really unhelpful but advised we needed to use the warranty we took out (AA warranty) to resolve it, which we did as this was much easier than the hassle of continuing to deal with them. The car has more recently been suffering a loss of power and we have just had it checked out at a local garage who have advised that the head gasket is the problem and that this will be in the region of £2000 to fix, which is well above the amount covered by the warranty (£1k per claim). So, after a bit of googling I 'think' we can email something along these lines. However, I am a bit worried that we are getting really close to the 6 month mark and so am not sure if we just need to have started the process of trying to resolve it before then, or if we lose our rights at 6 months even if we have advised them of the problem within the time? Particularly because of this I am really keen to get any advice on anything we need to include/exclude. Thank you so much

Dear Sir/ Madam

Ref: Car Reg

On 2nd April 2024 I purchased, and took delivery of, the above vehicle from you. On 12th September 2024 I discovered that it was not of satisfactory quality: the car has a head gasket fault and was diagnosed to need significant repairs at an estimated cost of xxxx

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires dealers to supply goods that are fit for purpose, as described and of satisfactory quality. However, the vehicle is clearly not roadworthy. You are therefore in breach of contract.

Having sought further legal advice and after speaking to the Citizens Advice Bureau they have advised me that as the vehicle is within the first six months following purchase any faults are deemed to have been present when purchased. As such you are required to repair the vehicle at your own cost and with as little inconvenience to ourselves as possible. If you are unable to do so, I expect to be reimbursed the original purchase price of [£xx], minus an agreed amount for fair usage.

In accordance with my rights bestowed by The Consumer Rights Act 2015 I require you to repair the vehicle within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to myself. I would remind you that you are required to bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so and this includes the costs of collection and return of the repaired vehicle to me.

If you are unable or unwilling to repair the vehicle whilst bearing any necessary costs in doing so, I am legally entitled to reject the vehicle and to receive a refund.

I look forward to receiving your written response within 7 days.
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    How did you pay for the car? How many miles have you added to the milometer?

How did the AA fix the fault with the engine management light?

I would include the problem with this warning light in your letter and the dealer's advice to contact the AA (warranty provider) which you did.

Other than that, I can't see anything wrong with the letter, 9 out of 10

Comment

Thank you! We paid £2895 and have done approx 4000 miles. It was a problem with the sensor (I think but can double check this). Thank you - that is really helpful

Comment

Did you pay any money by credit card or take out finance?

Comment

Sadly no, all by bank transfer

Comment

Originally posted by ALI2024 View Post
            Thank you! We paid £2895 and have done approx 4000 miles. It was a problem with the sensor (I think but can double check this). Thank you - that is really helpful
            I have just checked and it was the pre cat oxygen sensor which needed to be replaced

Comment

I am not a mechanic and know very little about car mechanics
              I have read that a faulty catalytic converter or a blocked dpf can cause a loss of engine power.
              Perhaps a faulty sensor was not the real problem?
              I thought that if the car had a blown head gasket, coolant would mix with the oil. The coolant level would drop too quick

If you can, please keep forum readers updated with the dealer's reply

Comment

Hi again and thanks for the help. Have sent off our email and will update on what happens! Yes I have wondered about whether the sensor was the problem/ the only problem but not a mechanic either. Will see how they respond...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X