• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mooring charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mooring charges

Signs have appeared on some canal moorings owned by the Canal and River Trust stating "2 days free of charge" yet there are no details of any terms and conditions either on these sites or in any C&RT document, they are not permitted by law to issue fines and have no powers to recover these mooring fees except in civil court, for instance adding them to a boat licence fee or refusing a boat lincece until any such charge is paid, are there any legal rules to cover such charges and how can it be discerned whether this is a fee for services or a unlawful fine ?
    Tags: None

As someone who moors at CRT moorings these restrictions are common and are apparently enforced. I have read in forums of people getting notices if they overstay for example and presumably they have the power to enforce them - have you read the information on the CRT website (had a look and there is quite a bit!). I know there have been "evictions" from long term unauthorised moorings also.

Comment

The CRT owns the land and are not obliged to lease or licence it. They therefore do so on whatever basisi they see as appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        As someone who moors at CRT moorings these restrictions are common and are apparently enforced. I have read in forums of people getting notices if they overstay for example and presumably they have the power to enforce them - have you read the information on the CRT website (had a look and there is quite a bit!). I know there have been "evictions" from long term unauthorised moorings also.
        To be claer i am talking abour vistitor moorings on the towpath.

They have no powers to enforce them except via a civil court..

Comment

Yes I know. The idea is that moorings are not filled with people staying weeks and weeks preventing leisure boaters from enjoying one or two nights somewhere. Do you have a problem with this?

Comment

Yes I know. The idea is that moorings are not filled with people staying weeks and weeks preventing leisure boaters from enjoying one or two nights somewhere. Do you have a problem with this?
            No , I said how can it be enforced lawfully, if it can't then it won't stop anyone will it ?

Comment

It seems to do! I have read on forums about people getting overstay notices but am unsure how it is followed up. There must be a way to enforce. Have you asked the CRT?
              I found this which seems to say that the CRT licence can be withdrawn:
              https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-...aterways-safer
              and they have the power to remove unlicenced boats from the waterway
              canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licence-your-boat/boat-licence-customer-support-team/how-we-tackle-evasion

Comment

It seems to do! I have read on forums about people getting overstay notices but am unsure how it is followed up. There must be a way to enforce. Have you asked the CRT?
                I found this which seems to say that the CRT licence can be withdrawn:
                https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-...aterways-safer
                and they have the power to remove unlicenced boats from the waterway
                canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licence-your-boat/boat-licence-customer-support-team/how-we-tackle-evasion
                They cannot revoke a licence for non payment of mooring fees or charges or anything else, the licence is statutory and issued by conditions set out in the 1995 BW actand can obl6 be revoked under those same conditions.

Comment

So how do they have the power to remove boats? They say they have this power - if the grant the licence then they must be able to un-grant it so to speak.

Comment

So how do they have the power to remove boats? They say they have this power - if the grant the licence then they must be able to un-grant it so to speak.
                    They have no say in granting or revoking licences its statutory , they just follow the law.

Comment

Well presumably the CRT uphold statute in the same way the Police uphold the law and thus have a right to revoke licences. I am unsure of the question here - do you have a problem with the CRT? Do you object to the idea of mooring time limits? Are you a residential boater who has been "evicted"?

Comment

I agre that I cannot see the OP's beef.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X