• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Composite door problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composite door problems

Hi All

I had the above fitted on 29/8/2018. I paid cash via bank transfer to the company and received a receipt. This man was recommended by a friend who also had him to fit their door. I had to chase him for the warranty and he eventually posted it through to me so I filed it away - it was a 5 and 10 year warranty - 10 on the frame and 5 on the door.

Fast forward to all the bad wet weather (2019) and my front door was leaking and ruined my new carpet inside the door (I had waited until I had my new door fitted before I had my new carpet fitted). I contacted the man and he came out and said that the bottom of the door had not been sealed correctly (the same guy who fitted it!) and consequently fit a quadrant on the outside ledge of the door and used plenty of silicone sealant - I wasn't too happy about this but if it was to stop the leak then I had to grin and bear it. I pointed out to him that it had ruined my carpet - it smelt dank and was stained - his reply was that he had a mate who could patch it up for me. I refused as it was a brand new carpet and in shock at his response - I was going to borrow my sister's carpet cleaner to ascertain if it could be salvaged, which I attempted and it couldn't, so had to purchase a new carpet.

The door started to get wet on the inside and the spy hole never worked due to constant condensation (even in the summer) and I was having problems closing and locking the door and it was draughty. I contacted him and he came out again and used yet more sealant around the letterbox on the outside and inside and around the semi-circle glass surround. I asked him about the door being draughty and he 'adjusted' the door and even though it was still a little difficult to lock it was much better, he said that this had solved the draughtiness but then offered to fit a 'lever' or suchlike that would fit inside the door near the top left hand corner to pull the door in. I refused this and stated that the door should not need all these additional pieces if it was fitted correctly and at that time, the weather was not really windy.

When all the really strong winds came, the door was still draughty (no doubt about it) and getting worse, so I contacted him and he failed to answer - I left numerous voicemail messages - and then covid hit.

I have had no other option but to place the wide duct tape around the door to stop the draught and consequently, am unable to use my front door.

After covid, I continued to try and contact him and he failed to respond. On the 14th December 2022 I sent him a text message stating that I was still having problems with the door - it then showed up as 'read' and he has failed to respond.

On looking at my receipt and warranty - the receipt has a different company name to the warranty ie,, receipt is Joe Bloggs Glass & Glazing and the warranty is ABC Window Systems. I cannot trace the glass and glazing company online or on companies house and the ABC Window systems website states that they only supply and fit UPVC doors.

Where do I go from here please? Any advice or tips would be most welcome.

LBA? Where do I send it to? The receipt for the glass company does have an address on it.

Thanks

Foxy
    Tags: None

In my experience, the warranty covers the materials and not the labour used to install it, a bit like the warranty you might get on a car. So, if before 5 years had elapsed there was problem with the door or frame, and the problem could be traced back to the manufacturer, then you would be able to make a claim under the warranty. If the problem came to light between year 6 and 10, you could also make a claim but only in relation to the frame.

Drafts normally arise when the seal between the frame and door is broken, either because the door or the frame (or both) has warped. Normally, this would take years to manifest itself but can be accelerated where the door is subjected to extremes of hot and cold. Doors and windows that catch the brunt of the summer sun can warp after a number of years. However, you ought to get a good few years service (maybe 10 or more) from the door/frame before you start to notice anything. The quality of the door materials and the manufacturing process can also be a big factor.

Is the receipt from the installer as it seems unlikely that the glass company would give you a receipt because you did not buy anything from them?

The manufacturer of the door/frame maybe inscribed or written somewhere on it where it is not visible. In any event, if you have a warranty from ABC, then I would lean towards them. It should not matter if they supply and fit only because you have a piece of paper from them that 'guarantees' the performance of the product for 5 & 10 years.

The carpet may well fall to be considered as consequential loss and not recoverable. Check the wording on the warranty to see if there are any exclusions or limitations.

Comment

Hi Ripped-off and thanks for your reply. It was the one man that supplied and installed it. My receipt for the full amount is from the Glass and Glazing company. He posted the warranty afterwards from ABC Window Systems. I can't see any manufacturer details on the door. I have attempted to contact the warranty company but have been unsuccessful. I did notice also that there is no job no on my receipt but there is one written on the warranty.

Thanks

Foxy

Comment

Hi. I have attempted to contact ABC window sysrems and the number never answers - I have called at varying times thoughout the day - left several messages - they have failed to return my voicemails - please please advise what do I do now? Do I send an LBA? to which company?

Thanks so much in advance.

Foxy

Comment

Without sight of the warranty it is difficult to say what redress is available. Is it a FENSA certificate or does it mention FENSA anywhere on it? FENSA is a government-authorised scheme that monitors building regulation compliance for replacement windows and doors. I doubt they will get involved if the work and materials are regulation compliant, but might be able to help you get in contact with the installer and manufacturer.

If you are considering an LBA then it can't hurt to send the letter to both of them can it?. The installer is responsible for the labour and materials and the manufacturer offers secondary cover through the warranty. Because you do not know which is causing the problem (workmanship and/or materials)you don't know who is responsible. But that should not matter. If either the workmanship or materials are at fault, the installer is still liable under the original contract with you anyway .It does not matter that there is secondary warranty. Be quick though. If I understand limitations correctly, you only have until August of next year to file a claim against the installer and if the cause of the problem is the door, you will be out of time in August of this year to rely on the 5 year manufacturer warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped-Off View Post
            Without sight of the warranty it is difficult to say what redress is available. Is it a FENSA certificate or does it mention FENSA anywhere on it? FENSA is a government-authorised scheme that monitors building regulation compliance for replacement windows and doors. I doubt they will get involved if the work and materials are regulation compliant, but might be able to help you get in contact with the installer and manufacturer.

If you are considering an LBA then it can't hurt to send the letter to both of them can it?. The installer is responsible for the labour and materials and the manufacturer offers secondary cover through the warranty. Because you do not know which is causing the problem (workmanship and/or materials)you don't know who is responsible. But that should not matter. If either the workmanship or materials are at fault, the installer is still liable under the original contract with you anyway .It does not matter that there is secondary warranty. Be quick though. If I understand limitations correctly, you only have until August of next year to file a claim against the installer and if the cause of the problem is the door, you will be out of time in August of this year to rely on the 5 year manufacturer warranty.
            No, the warranty doesn't mention anything for FENSA or have any of the symbols on it...it doesn't even have an address on it - just several paragraphs of text!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X