• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer Online Law Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Online Law Question

Hi
    My (16 year old) booked an event online with a trader who (when she tried to change arrangement) told her she was too young (needed to be 18+) but refused to offer a refund.
    I've had a read of Consumer Contract Law (replaced Distance Selling?) and see no defence for their position.
    Any consumer law types here who could point me towards something that might?
    I fancy using this as a "teaching moment" about pre-action protocol letter and Small Claims Court Online but wanted to check I wasn't in shakey ground. Eg. Does the £42 min value apply here?
    Many thanks for any replies on a Friday PM!
    Marc
    Tags: None

Hi MARC_CONLON

How did your daughter pay?

Comment

Hiya
      Thanks for replying.
      By debit card. (Were you hoping credit card?)
      Marc

Comment

Is there any reason why you can't do a charge-back?

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...k-abZ2d4z3nT8q

Comment

I didn't realise chargebacks were permitted on Debit cards - we'll give that a go, thanks.
          As the trader has already refused to refund, I imagine given the option by their merchant processor, they will refuse again.
          Their positiin is "You knew it was over 18" whereas my argument is that, according to Consumer Contract Law, cancellations are an entitlement and no reason need be given.
          https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...lation/29/made

My concern is that, I believe in previous Distance Selling Regs, a minimum order value of £42 was required otherwise the consumer protections did not apply.

Any idea if this £42 min order value still exists?

Thanks

Comment

There isn't a minimum, ask the card provider to refund the charge. If they fail to do so, explain that you will take the matter to the FOS. The card provider will have to pay the FOS the fees for looking into the matter. It will be approximately 10 times what you are trying to claim back, if for example you are trying to claim back £50. Send them the following template (click Start Your Claim):

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...k-abZ2d4z3nT8q

Please update the thread.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X