• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Beyond economical repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond economical repair

Hi, my laptop was accidentally damaged and I put it through the insurance as I have it covered on my contents. They asked me to get an insurance letter from the approved centre which I did. The repair centre gave me a total cost for repair and they concluded beyond economical repair. The insurance people have come back saying that as the repair costs are £675 and a new equivalent will be £759 this is not BER. Now my laptop is from 2013 and the same model would be around £500. The model that they are coming up is the 2017 one. I don't know is 2013 is still available for sale. It is a MacBook air 13" laptop by the way. Now I have never before put a claim but are they right to compare the laptop to a newer model? my second question is what defines beyond economical repair and in some websites, I read that the cost of repair has to exceed 80% of the value of a replacement and even with their example this does. The insurance company is legal and general and have gone through their booklet and cannot find any information about what they regard as beyond economical repair. I have an excess payment of £100. I have not yet accepted. Can I argue this? also if they write it off and get a replacement can I ask to buy it off? I have been told I can do this as my son is doing computing studies and could use this one for his electronics lessons learning about the inside of the machine and have the challenge to try and repair it as his school project.
    Many thanks!!
    Tags: None

If you read your policy wording I anticipate you will find something like this:
    We will at our option:
    i) replace as new;
    ii) pay the cost to us of replacing as new;
    iii) repair;
    or iv) pay the cost to us to repair; any item of contents (except for clothing more than two years old)

It doesn't matter what some other website says about "beyond economic repair", it is what your policy wording states.
    Can you post up the exact wording of their letter (redacted so as not to identify you)?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

If you read your policy wording I anticipate you will find something like this:
      We will at our option:
      i) replace as new;
      ii) pay the cost to us of replacing as new;
      iii) repair;
      or iv) pay the cost to us to repair; any item of contents (except for clothing more than two years old)

It doesn't matter what some other website says about "beyond economic repair", it is what your policy wording states.
      Can you post up the exact wording of their letter (redacted so as not to identify you)?
      Thank you for your response and apologies for the late reply. they did pay in the end.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X