• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Thames Water refusing to compensate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thames Water refusing to compensate

Hello everyone,

Thank you for having me! I have signed up as I am in need of advice and know nothing about law.

The issue: Thames Water failed to supply water to my postcode (and further afield) for 4 days in March. It was national news and their handling of it was appalling (no communication etc). The pressure from the media and mps at the time meant they raised their compensation commitments and effectively owed all residents £150 each. We were told to do nothing,we would receive our compensation automatically. Their CEO made a statement that it would be no quibble.

5 months on and we are finally getting our compensation letters. The majority of us are being told we are entitled to nothing as they checked their system and can see we were without water for only 1 hour (ridiculous!). However,I have collated details from the 20 residents in my block and we have recieved different levels of compensation starting at zero and going up to £150. Having talked to my community i realise this is a nasty trick TW are playing on the majority. I believe their strategy to be to fob you off and hope you go away.

I am very passionate about this. I domt even want the money,I will donate it to water aid. What I do want is TW to admit what they did and keep to their commitment. Telling us we were without water for only one hour is essentially calling us liars and is insulting.

I have escalated this with the CEO and he is standing his ground that he has evidence that I DID have water. His evidence is clearly wrong as I was out of water for the full 4 days. This is a massive company who have the monopoly and I feel they are bullying us into silence.

I would like to take legal action. I don't care if it costs me money as it isn't about that now.

Could anyone help me understand what steps I would need to take and whether or not it would be a poo glass endeavour.

In terms of evidence this is what i have:
    1) it was national news that my postcode was without water so I can locate plenty of news articles.
    2)I have written confirmation from the school directly opposite my block that they were closed due to having no water.
    3) I have text messages on all 4 days between me and family talking about how i still have no water.
    4)I have a list of 20 flats in my block all signing that they didn't have water for four days.

Ang advice appreciated.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Laineylou View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you for having me! I have signed up as I am in need of advice and know nothing about law.

The issue: Thames Water failed to supply water to my postcode (and further afield) for 4 days in March. It was national news and their handling of it was appalling (no communication etc). The pressure from the media and mps at the time meant they raised their compensation commitments and effectively owed all residents £150 each. We were told to do nothing,we would receive our compensation automatically. Their CEO made a statement that it would be no quibble.

5 months on and we are finally getting our compensation letters. The majority of us are being told we are entitled to nothing as they checked their system and can see we were without water for only 1 hour (ridiculous!). However,I have collated details from the 20 residents in my block and we have recieved different levels of compensation starting at zero and going up to £150. Having talked to my community i realise this is a nasty trick TW are playing on the majority. I believe their strategy to be to fob you off and hope you go away.

I am very passionate about this. I domt even want the money,I will donate it to water aid. What I do want is TW to admit what they did and keep to their commitment. Telling us we were without water for only one hour is essentially calling us liars and is insulting.

I have escalated this with the CEO and he is standing his ground that he has evidence that I DID have water. His evidence is clearly wrong as I was out of water for the full 4 days. This is a massive company who have the monopoly and I feel they are bullying us into silence.

I would like to take legal action. I don't care if it costs me money as it isn't about that now.

Could anyone help me understand what steps I would need to take and whether or not it would be a poo glass endeavour.

In terms of evidence this is what i have:
    1) it was national news that my postcode was without water so I can locate plenty of news articles.
    2)I have written confirmation from the school directly opposite my block that they were closed due to having no water.
    3) I have text messages on all 4 days between me and family talking about how i still have no water.
    4)I have a list of 20 flats in my block all signing that they didn't have water for four days.

Ang advice appreciated.
    The ones whom have been given £150, does their letter state that they were without water for 4 days?
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hello thank you for your comment. No, it is very vague and just apologised for the disruption and offered 150 as a good will gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by Laineylou View Post
        Hello thank you for your comment. No, it is very vague and just apologised for the disruption and offered 150 as a good will gesture.
        That's a shame, the best evidence you could get is via the planning office to show the supply enters the building at 1 and then subdivides to each flat. If that is the case then everyone was equally disrupted and therefore all should have received the £150.

There's no need for legal proceeding, use the ombudsman service because it's free and present your evidence to them.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I have an open case with them, but i am worried they will accept TW evidence as they supply some graphs which apparently show we had water. It is beyond my comprehension how considering I didn't have any! Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X