• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

sole trader badgering me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sole trader badgering me

Hi.
    I booked some work to be done which takes approx 2 hours.
    I gave the tradesman the night before notice to say I wont be there.

Now this tradesperson is saying he will pursue me for damages (cost of the work)

Can he do this?

I read on a website where it said: Claiming damages if a customer cancels

If a customer cancels a booking or leaves early when staying in accommodation, they are in breach of the booking contract they have with you. You may be entitled to claim damages for any losses you have suffered from the cancellation/curtailment. This applies regardless of whether you have cancellation/curtailment procedures as a booking condition.

Some help would be appreceiated

Thanks
    Tags: None

He can pursue you for loss of profit

Comment

Thank you ostell

I am assuming he would say he could not replace the work and therefore lost profit?

I did not say anythign with him, he only told me verbally when making the booking to give him 24 hours notice if I need to cancel?

How woudl he possibly pursue me though? Under what laws?

Thanka

Comment

Simple contract

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          Simple contract
          what if i cant remember the fact he mentioned 24 hours notice?

I would just explain to a judge that he didnt mention it?

Thanks

Comment

He doesn't have to mention it, the contract existed and it's not unreasonable as he would have been unable to arrange other work.

Comment

Thank you very much Ostell.

I am assuming it would come under breach of contract? Is it a law is comes under or simply he claims £x for loss of income or someething?

Comment

Hi
                Judge has made mention that the "tradesman" needs to prove he couldnt do other work - as work was cancelled an hour before.

Tradesman has argued that how on earth is he meant to arrange other work with an hours notice?!?!

I have a feeling Judge would side with the tradesman?

Comment

You may be right, but it is still for the contractor to show his losses within the contract.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X