• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Larger but newer company using my company's name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger but newer company using my company's name

Hi
    I've been the director of a limited company since 2008 which was established in 2004. We are a small, local business but are actively trading. After coming through some recent personal issues I wanted to start to build business up and decided to start by setting up a website and getting some more advertising going. I decided to start by googling us and seeing what currently comes up.

​​​​​​When I typed in our company name, the first result is us at the companies house beta, which is what I was expecting. The second is our name but with 'franchise' stuck between the name and limited. Taking a look, it seems they've been trading since 2015 but changed their name in April this year. The directors also have several other companies with related names registered in 2015 - all with location names included and not local to me, but in the same industry area. They also have a website which says they've been trading since 2009 (although from what I can see none of the businesses have been active that long).

I looked up what to do if someone uses your name and found a lot of stuff about companies house and trademarks. I went to see and, sure enough, they registered my company name as a trademark in 2015.

I'm now in a huge panic about what this means. Obviously, I've been trading longer but they're a much bigger business, they own the trademark on the name, have the fancy website..

Where do I stand and what should I do? It never occurred to me that someone could register a business with such a similar name, let alone that they might try to turn it into a UK franchise. Surely they must have had to check the name wasn't in use before they set up?

Can they stop me trading using my company name? I'm frightened that if I contact them, they're going to start legal action against me and I'm not in a financial position to fight them if they do. I'm literally just getting back on my feet!

I feel like such an idiot for not noticing before that this had happened. I vaguely remember seeing that someone had set up "[our company name] York" but since that's hundreds of miles away it didn't seem like a big deal at the time. I feel like such an idiot and I don't know where to turn for advice..
    Tags: None

In case it's relevant, we are both limited companies - sorry, I forgot to say..

Comment

You would have to challenge the trademark on the grounds they have taken your business name and it belongs to you, however as you say you do not have the means to fight a legal battle and you say you want to reinvigorate the business, maybe a re-brand is the solution?

While they have a trademark they can stop you from using the company name via a court order if they choose.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

A quick update - I managed to get some advice from a trademark law expert and she thinks I would have some defence. It turns out they've trademarked their specific logo rather than the actual words, so arguably mine is very different and still fine. It's definitely not an ideal situation but it isn't as bad as I thought it was to begin with!

Comment

Good to see you obtained some advice as IP law can be notoriously complex and very costly if you engage in litigation. It is one of those areas I would always look to get advice on.

Did the advice suggest considering an application to the Company Names Tribunal as a possible way of getting the larger company to change their name? The CNT has jurisdiction to to deal with disputes contained in s69(1)(a) & (b) of the Companies Act 2006 (link here). More info about CNT below and their role.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...tribunal/about

Given that the company name has "franchise" as part of the name and operates in the same sector as yourself, might be grounds to argue that the ordinary person would view that company as being connected to yourself or vice versa. It could also prove helpful if you can show that you registered the company before them and have evidence that you operated since 2004.

Of course if you do consider this option, best to get some initial advice. Not sure whether the trademark expert you sought advice from was an IP solicitor but you can also get some advice from IP attorneys. In either case, try to seek out a fixed fee and what % of prospect of success you would have - even if the advice is short at least you'll know where you stand.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Has your trademark been registered?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X