• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination of Car on HP - co want to charge for extra work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination of Car on HP - co want to charge for extra work

Hello, my other half has done a voluntary termination on his car (he was made redundant) and everything is underway. The car was collected and a few dents and scratches were noted. He's now received a letter from the company saying they're going to charge him £50 for a collection fee (he was originally told over the phone there would be no fee - and I see from various posts on here they shouldn't be allowed to do that) and £50 for an inspection fee - again this fee was never mentioned to him. They also want to charge nearly £300 to replace the alternator and belt. Are they allowed to do this? There were no problems with the car when he was driving it. Can we ask for "proof" that the work needs doing or anything like that? I know they don't like people doing this so try to claw back what they can - but just wondered what they're actually allowed to get away before I write a letter back to them for him!

Promise I'll keep you updated on the outcome!
    Tags: None

No to the fees, just tell them to show you where it says in OH's contract that that can be charged (it doesn't BTW).

As for the alternator, that certainly isn't a service item, so long as the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with the expected mileage, then they can't charge for that either (or the belt!).

Was the battery charging just before it was driven away and during the inspection?
    Was the battery warning light on (that IS a possible reason to charge you); did the inspection point this out
    Did you OH know it was broken if the above is Yes?
    Had the belt snapped? I find this unlikely that OH wouldn't have noticed as the battery would be dead pretty quick if not charging (and the red warning light of course)

Would it have failed the MOT on that item (that also can be charged)

If not then tell them to go away it's not part of the BVRLA standards

Comment

this is useful BTW

http://www.drive-electric.co.uk/wp-c..._Wear_Tear.pdf

Comment

Good to know!

The car car was sitting idle for a week in the bad snow so it had problems starting up. Called AA out and after investigation they said the battery was near its end so a new battery was fitted.

Having asked, the car hasn’t had a service done in the small amount of time he’s had it. Does that mean they’re now able to charge for the alternator and belt? There were certainly no warning signs when he was driving the car that anything needed replacing.

When they collected the car, it drove away fine.

The letter he he received seems to say it was being inspected (ie after it was inspected at home) before going to auction and the second letter mentions the charges and the work needing to be done.

Comment

I'd be pushing back as you have a condition report and you can point out there were no warning lights on the dashboard (let them prove otherwise).

Service - was it due one, as they can charge for that.

Comment

Went back to them asking why they were trying to charge extra. They came back saying as the car was a non-runner it had to be transported to a garage for testing and that’s when the spotted the work to be done.

Replied querying the non-runner quote, saying that although it hadn’t started up first collection date, it had worked fine the second time round and indeed, the collection person had driven off in it.

They came back today full of apologies saying the company who collected hadn’t mentioned it was running fine and that it had been driven away (!!) and that they’d now take off all 3 extra charges.

Hurrah! Success! Thank you for your help everyone.

Comment

Brilliant, glad it worked!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X