• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbours water pipe leaking through my property.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbours water pipe leaking through my property.

Hello, I'm a new poster to these forums and looking for advice. Please excuse the long post, I will try and keep it as short as possible but include all the details as it is messy.

My house is the middle terrace of an old Victorian block of 3. As I understand it, when water was installed in the properties, it was a shared supply that was T'd into each house at the rear via the gardens.

A number of years later, a spur from the main supply was run into the cellar of house no.1, then up through the walls to the top floor (2 storey), then it was channelled into the brickwork of the central wall and along through property no.2 (me) and property no.3 (my problem neighbour). A supply for each house was T'd in - literally a pipe appears out of the middle of the wall! - to provide upstairs water.

No.1 and No.2 have both since capped this supply off and run everything from the original supply downstairs.

No.3 has (we believe) done the opposite and gets all the water from this pipe running through the two other houses.

The problem I have is that last week I noticed the wallpaper in the bedroom looked uneven. I pressed it and it just fell straight off the wall. It was absolutely soaking and the wall was covered in a foul smelling black mould. I removed 3 strips wide before it was dry. I removed the mould with HG mould spray which left the room unusable for 3 days due to the smell. The plaster underneath had blown, so I knocked the plaster off and the bricks underneath that were wet through. By removing a few of these bricks I could see the pipe (the original lead) which was wet through. There was no obvious hole, so we removed a couple more. I have been told by a builder friend that a pinhole in lead can reseal itself so the source of the leak isn't obvious, but the pipe still keeps getting wet when you can hear water running through it so it is likely that it is on the back of the pipe that I haven't yet exposed as they dumped mortar onto it to keep it in place.

So here is where my problem lies. The only house receiving water from this supply is No.3. When told of the issue he shrugged and said it wasn't his problem and I should contact the water board. He made sure to tell me that I couldn't cut his water off. I had at that point had a conversation with the water board and they told me it was my problem and to speak to Environmental Health if the neighbour wouldn't comply (they couldn't/wouldn't tell me what he had to comply with btw). I called them back again after the conversation with the neighbour and a different advisor told me that the pipes were mine and to do whatever I wanted with them. I asked if that included cutting the supply and he repeated they were mine and we could do whatever. I thought this didn't sound right (although I admit I was very pleased!), so I asked if they could come out and look at the layout of the supply and advise what we could do to keep everyone happy.

The engineer confirmed the information I have detailed above, but did say that we couldn't stop his supply other than turning everything off at the main supply (with the permission of the neighbours) for all 3 houses to repair the problem.

To remove the pipe and replace it with something more modern, i would have to remove all the bricks the full width of the house which would involve demolishing built in wardrobes, the decor of 2 recently decorated rooms and probably the entire stairwell behind it. The water board man recommended taking the supply up into the attic and running plastic pipe in there and down back into the wall to the neighbour, however getting it up and down there would cause damage to not only the above but the very expensive and very beautiful plaster coving that we had installed 6 months ago.

Ideally, I would like No.3 to use his own supply that doesn't affect our properties but I know he will not agree to this - both on a cost issue but more likely, he is very petty and will do anything to cause problems for No.1 and No.2 - don't get me started on access and parking!

I want to sort it all out with as little contact with the neighbour as possible, I would even be prepared to pay to get all the pipes re-routed via our cellars but I don't even think he would go for that as it would help us all out and he really is that awkward.

Legally, where do I stand? Is the responsibility solely mine? It seems very unfair when I don't even get water from that source. I don't want to cut him off (I'm trying not to stoop to his levels) but the bedroom still smells horrible and the black mould was disgusting and likely a health hazard so I can't let this continue.

Any help or advice you could pass along would be very much appreciated, even if it is just to tell me that I'm stuffed as the nice water man said!
    Tags: None

Seems to me you need to present him with two options:

1. you can very cheaply replace things as they are with plastic pipes and get on with things.

2. you can more expensively run everything through the cellar and to his property

As it connects with his property obviously you have to consult him and you'd much prefer the first option, but what does he want you to do?

I think if you present your preferred option in such a way that he thinks it'll get on your nerves him choosing it and if he is as awkward as you say then he might just fall for it.
    Last edited by jaguarsuk; 23rd April 2018, 16:21:PM.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

.... and if he doesn't play ball as already advised request Environmental Health to have a look. If it is deemed a health hazard and he refuses to cooperate it may be classed as an environmental nuisance.

Repair of the leaking part isn't too difficult for anyone with a modicum of DIY skills.
      It will mean shutting off the water, cutting out the leaking part, going to plumber suppliers for lead locs and some 15mm copper or plastic pipe.
      Return home, fit and turn water supply back on.

Comment

Not if it's lead as the OP suggests it wI'll have to be a very compedant DIYER or a good plumber I suspect finding a plumber with lead experience might be hard these days
        Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Lead locs are not difficult to fit
          The lead pipe might need shaving to fit the lead loc, but they are compression fittings and easily tightened.
          Not allowed to sweat lead pipes nowadays so it is all compression

Comment

Thank you all for your responses so far.
            I don't think a repair will cause much trouble for a competent plumber (I am sadly not one) assuming we can find the pinhole, it was more about looking ahead to make sure it doesn't happen again. The house is 120 years old and the pipe isn't getting any younger, so will no doubt cause an issue somewhere down the line. Getting his water source out of my property would be my priority however I'd like to know where I stand legally before dealing with him.

Comment

Your neighbours response that the leak is solely your problem would seem to be false.
              From this site (https://www.affinitywater.co.uk/docs...pply_pipes.pdf) pages 4 & 5 indicate that he at least shares responsibility for the repair.
              However as you don't actually take a supply from this pipe it might be that he is solely responsible.
              As he has an easement by prescription you will not be able to force him to remove it.
              You could employ a solicitor, and pay shed loads, but end up with the pipe still on your property.
              As you don't take a supply from the pipe you might be able to argue that he owns it in its entirely and is therefore responsible for its upkeep.
              As it is leaking and damaging your property I think you could argue that you have the right to abate the nuisance, and so turn the supply off until it is repaired. He has at least a partial responsibility to keep the pipe in good condition.
              If he realises that he has to maintain the pipe through your property and your other neighbours property he might consider using the other supply pipe

Comment

Leak will be above where the pipe is wet -

Get plumber to trace it up, if a pinhole then dress it down with a ball pein hammer, Clean surface and wipe type D solder over the dressed part.

Lead water pipe is thick enough to allow soldering temperature to be reached on the surface even with water in it.

Pinhole leaks are indicative that the pipe is near end of like and should be changed.

Comment

oops..pushed wrong button!

Grade D solder contains lead and should only be used on pipes.supplying non potable water
                  I understand it is contrary to regulations (it was back in the nineties!) to use lead based solders on water pipes (even on existing lead pipes) which carry drinking water
                  Last edited by des8; 24th April 2018, 08:58:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X